Today is Clinch Day… Date Yourself

KnightsOnMintSt

In 2008, I was 20 and months away from getting dumped by my high school girlfriend who went to U of I while I went to EIU. I thought I wanted to be a teacher or sports journalist but life had other plans and I ended up in the insurance business after getting a business degree from SAU and doing PR, interning with the St. Louis Rams, regrettably for some shitty startups and an EAP provider in Chicago.

In 2021, I am now 33 and married to my wife from Match.com, we have a son who was born on Election Day last year. I got a masters degree and am trying to get promoted or leave within the next six months. Wish I could go back to tell myself to try to get into healthcare when I was 20 but that’s my exit strategy (probably nursing or data analysis for a health care organization) if this next opportunity doesn’t work out. At least we are healthy and have family and friends that makes the working part worth something.

Let’s go you flawed White Sox, let’s see what you’ve got!

Edited by The Beast

4 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Assuming the Sox can win today, they will win the division for the first time since 2008. How have you changed since then?

In 2008, I was a 15-year old sophomore in high school. I am now a 28-year old husband, and father of 1.

Cool thread, thanks for creating it.

In 2008 I was 27 and single and likely fighting with fathom every day. Haha. At least I think we were still arguing at that point. I'm now 40, married with a kid and if you had told me UVA would have a bball natty by the time of our next division I'd have said you were the craziest person in the entire world!

In 2008 I was 62 years old, married, retired and living in Florida playing golf 4 times a week.

In 2021 I am 75 years old, married, retired, and living in Florida playing golf 3 times a week.

Going all the way back to 1959, yesterday Sept 22 was the 62nd anniversary of my boyhood heroes winning the AL pennant for the first time in 40 years. I was 13 years old and just entered 8th grade a few weeks earlier, it was one of the great days of my youth. 10 days later my favorite uncle took my mom and me to the second game of the World Series, a heartbreaking 4-3 loss to the Dodgers.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, jphat007 said:

In 2008 I was 27 and single and likely fighting with fathom every day. Haha. At least I think we were still arguing at that point. I'm now 40, married with a kid and if you had told me UVA would have a bball natty by the time of our next division I'd have said you were the craziest person in the entire world!

Omg I’ve seen a ghost

In 2008 I was 55 writing ISO 9000 (ser) packages and wondering why the Sox ever let Rowand go.  As for dating --- my first game at Comiskey was along the infield third base line at a sparsely attended stadium in 1961 and seeing Maris hit one out to right center - I think it was off a recently acquired Ray Herbert. Maris hit 13 against the Sox that year. 

Edited by FoxForce2

2008 I was an immature 24 year old entry level lease administrator in Chicago anxiously awaiting the black out game.  Today I'm an immature 37 year old lease administration manager in San Francisco that has somehow managed to hang on to the black towel from that game 13 years ago through several moves. 

2 hours ago, jphat007 said:

Purdue fan here.  I try to forget that Elite 8 game…..

15 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I had just left the island and moved to Rochester NY I was 33 years old and only had been in NY for a few weeks. I was lucky to watch game 163 where I was staying.  

Now I'm still in NY and a 46 yr old gramps of 2 

25 years old and in about a month I went to rehab for drug and alcohol issues… which Soxtalk circa 2003 could have predicted.

Now I’m a 38 year old who’s been through a horrible divorce and has a 7 year old son that I’m still trying to help protect from all the fall out of that ongoing nonsense.

Moral of the story… don’t do drugs… don’t drink as an alcoholic… don’t marry an unstable woman or procreate with her when you know there are multiple glaring red flags.

Integrity came to me slowly.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

25 years old and in about a month I went to rehab for drug and alcohol issues… which Soxtalk circa 2003 could have predicted.

Now I’m a 38 year old who’s been through a horrible divorce and has a 7 year old son that I’m still trying to help protect from all the fall out of that ongoing nonsense.

Moral of the story… don’t do drugs… don’t drink as an alcoholic… don’t marry an unstable woman or procreate with her when you know there are multiple glaring red flags.

Integrity came to me slowly.

But the important part being - you are now in a much better place which is awesome!!! And 2021 will be better than 2008 in terms of on field postseason results too!!! 

• Like 1