Kopech Starting Game 2

Look at Ray Ray Run

Honest question here - what exactly is the magic to being "stretched out" (setting aside the question of whether such a "streching" was even possible given his innings limitation)?  He has innings left and seems to be healthy and not terribly fatigued.  Isn't that what we want?  Is there a rule saying he can't go more than 2 innings if he's on fire in the playoffs merely because he's not sufficiently "stretched"?  Seems to me they were ready to ride Crochet last year if he hadn't gotten hurt and the guy was like three weeks in the bigs.  It wouldn't shock me to see them ride Kopech in similar fashion this time around.

18 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

How many innings did Kopech need this year to be stretched out for starter duties next year?

I don't know. I do know that Rodon threw a total of 42.1 innings between 2019-20 and made it up over 120 innings this year. Kopech is at 63 innings this year.

19 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Honest question here - what exactly is the magic to being "stretched out" (setting aside the question of whether such a "streching" was even possible given his innings limitation)?  He has innings left and seems to be healthy and not terribly fatigued.  Isn't that what we want?  Is there a rule saying he can't go more than 2 innings if he's on fire in the playoffs merely because he's not sufficiently "stretched"?  Seems to me they were ready to ride Crochet last year if he hadn't gotten hurt and the guy was like three weeks in the bigs.  It wouldn't shock me to see them ride Kopech in similar fashion this time around.

Its conditioning.  Just like anything, if you want to do it at the highest of levels, there is work you need to do to be ready to do it.  If you want to run a marathon, you don't get there by walking around the block a few times.  You get there by scaling up your mileage over time so that you are peaking at 26.2 miles.  Starting is the same way.  If you want to make is through the slog of a 180 to 200 innings, you need to work your arm up to that.  You don't go from 50 innings to 180.  Rodon is running into the same problems. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its conditioning.  Just like anything, if you want to do it at the highest of levels, there is work you need to do to be ready to do it.  If you want to run a marathon, you don't get there by walking around the block a few times.  You get there by scaling up your mileage over time so that you are peaking at 26.2 miles.  Starting is the same way.  If you want to make is through the slog of a 180 to 200 innings, you need to work your arm up to that.  You don't go from 50 innings to 180.  Rodon is running into the same problems. 

I'm not talking about what it takes to get ramped up to be a starter for an entire season, though.  I totally agree that it takes substantial conditioning to ramp up to pitching 180 to 200 innings.  (Sidenote -- if we had done that this season it might well have compromised his availability effectiveness in the playoffs).  I'm talking about the playoffs -- and in particular I'm responding to the suggestion that it is somehow too late for Kopech to fill a multiple-inning relief or even starting role if necessary in October because he's not "stretched out" enough.  I'm not totally convinced that is the case.

15 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm not talking about what it takes to get ramped up to be a starter for an entire season, though.  I totally agree that it takes substantial conditioning to ramp up to pitching 180 to 200 innings.  (Sidenote -- if we had done that this season it might well have compromised his availability effectiveness in the playoffs).  I'm talking about the playoffs -- and in particular I'm responding to the suggestion that it is somehow too late for Kopech to fill a multiple-inning relief or even starting role if necessary in October because he's not "stretched out" enough.  I'm not totally convinced that is the case.

The same thing applies to starting.  No one starts at 120 pitches in the spring.  They start soft tossing and move up start by start.

25 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

A pitcher can't throw 100 pitches and be effective if they haven't worked their way up to it during the season. He could throw that many but he would fatigue probably around the 50 pitch point and probably start causing damage by 100.

Your glenohumeral joint is by design a very unstable joint because it has a large range of motion compared to for example the hip joint. Because of this it is largely dependent on small stabilizing muscles (rotator cuff, supraspinatus, infraspinatus) to keep the joint working properly. Once these fatigue, there starts to be excessive motion or instability in the joint. This in turn will start to place excessive stress on other tissue and cause damage. 

So its not that he couldn't throw 100 pitches. It's that he would be far less effective and cause fatigue which would most likely lead to damage in the joint.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

A pitcher can't throw 100 pitches and be effective if they haven't worked their way up to it during the season. He could throw that many but he would fatigue probably around the 50 pitch point and probably start causing damage by 100.

Your glenohumeral joint is by design a very unstable joint because it has a large range of motion compared to for example the hip joint. Because of this it is largely dependent on small stabilizing muscles (rotator cuff, supraspinatus, infraspinatus) to keep the joint working properly. Once these fatigue, there starts to be excessive motion or instability in the joint. This in turn will start to place excessive stress on other tissue and cause damage. 

So its not that he couldn't throw 100 pitches. It's that he would be far less effective and cause fatigue which would most likely lead to damage in the joint.

When did pros like yourself figure this out?