Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Look at Ray Ray Run

Kopech Starting Game 2

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All I can do is laugh at this point; sure would be nice if he was stretched out for the playoffs.

SMH

Ypu, well let's get him to 3 innings I guess! Could be used as the starter for game 4 if rodon cant go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Ypu, well let's get him to 3 innings I guess! Could be used as the starter for game 4 if rodon cant go

or Rodon goes 3-4 innings followed by Kopech's 3 innings

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All I can do is laugh at this point; sure would be nice if he was stretched out for the playoffs.

SMH

Will the rebuild come full circle with a Michael Kopech W to clinch the division? He was part of the first trade of the rebuild.

Nah, fuck it, just win game 1.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All I can do is laugh at this point; sure would be nice if he was stretched out for the playoffs.

SMH

Laugh, but it isn't like his going to go six innings here.  He might get 50 pitches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Laugh, but it isn't like his going to go six innings here.  He might get 50 pitches.

Well yes, obviously, since the Sox didn't stretch him out. Not sure what you didn't grasp from my initial post.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All I can do is laugh at this point; sure would be nice if he was stretched out for the playoffs.

SMH

All I can do is cry. I still am so upset that he isn't dominating as a starter right now. SO mismanaged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe setting things up for Kopech and Rodon piggy backing a start in the playoffs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

or Rodon goes 3-4 innings followed by Kopech's 3 

Edited by ShoeLessRob
Read this backwards, disregard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool.  I hope he does well in a meaningless game played shortly after clinching our first division title in 13 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

All I can do is cry. I still am so upset that he isn't dominating as a starter right now. SO mismanaged

How do you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honest question here - what exactly is the magic to being "stretched out" (setting aside the question of whether such a "streching" was even possible given his innings limitation)?  He has innings left and seems to be healthy and not terribly fatigued.  Isn't that what we want?  Is there a rule saying he can't go more than 2 innings if he's on fire in the playoffs merely because he's not sufficiently "stretched"?  Seems to me they were ready to ride Crochet last year if he hadn't gotten hurt and the guy was like three weeks in the bigs.  It wouldn't shock me to see them ride Kopech in similar fashion this time around.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

How many innings did Kopech need this year to be stretched out for starter duties next year?

 

I don't know. I do know that Rodon threw a total of 42.1 innings between 2019-20 and made it up over 120 innings this year. Kopech is at 63 innings this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Honest question here - what exactly is the magic to being "stretched out" (setting aside the question of whether such a "streching" was even possible given his innings limitation)?  He has innings left and seems to be healthy and not terribly fatigued.  Isn't that what we want?  Is there a rule saying he can't go more than 2 innings if he's on fire in the playoffs merely because he's not sufficiently "stretched"?  Seems to me they were ready to ride Crochet last year if he hadn't gotten hurt and the guy was like three weeks in the bigs.  It wouldn't shock me to see them ride Kopech in similar fashion this time around.

 

Its conditioning.  Just like anything, if you want to do it at the highest of levels, there is work you need to do to be ready to do it.  If you want to run a marathon, you don't get there by walking around the block a few times.  You get there by scaling up your mileage over time so that you are peaking at 26.2 miles.  Starting is the same way.  If you want to make is through the slog of a 180 to 200 innings, you need to work your arm up to that.  You don't go from 50 innings to 180.  Rodon is running into the same problems. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't know. I do know that Rodon threw a total of 42.1 innings between 2019-20 and made it up over 120 innings this year. Kopech is at 63 innings this year.

Also related, Rodon's arm is falling off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its conditioning.  Just like anything, if you want to do it at the highest of levels, there is work you need to do to be ready to do it.  If you want to run a marathon, you don't get there by walking around the block a few times.  You get there by scaling up your mileage over time so that you are peaking at 26.2 miles.  Starting is the same way.  If you want to make is through the slog of a 180 to 200 innings, you need to work your arm up to that.  You don't go from 50 innings to 180.  Rodon is running into the same problems. 

I'm not talking about what it takes to get ramped up to be a starter for an entire season, though.  I totally agree that it takes substantial conditioning to ramp up to pitching 180 to 200 innings.  (Sidenote -- if we had done that this season it might well have compromised his availability effectiveness in the playoffs).  I'm talking about the playoffs -- and in particular I'm responding to the suggestion that it is somehow too late for Kopech to fill a multiple-inning relief or even starting role if necessary in October because he's not "stretched out" enough.  I'm not totally convinced that is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm not talking about what it takes to get ramped up to be a starter for an entire season, though.  I totally agree that it takes substantial conditioning to ramp up to pitching 180 to 200 innings.  (Sidenote -- if we had done that this season it might well have compromised his availability effectiveness in the playoffs).  I'm talking about the playoffs -- and in particular I'm responding to the suggestion that it is somehow too late for Kopech to fill a multiple-inning relief or even starting role if necessary in October because he's not "stretched out" enough.  I'm not totally convinced that is the case.

The same thing applies to starting.  No one starts at 120 pitches in the spring.  They start soft tossing and move up start by start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm not talking about what it takes to get ramped up to be a starter for an entire season, though.  I totally agree that it takes substantial conditioning to ramp up to pitching 180 to 200 innings.  (Sidenote -- if we had done that this season it might well have compromised his availability effectiveness in the playoffs).  I'm talking about the playoffs -- and in particular I'm responding to the suggestion that it is somehow too late for Kopech to fill a multiple-inning relief or even starting role if necessary in October because he's not "stretched out" enough.  I'm not totally convinced that is the case.

A pitcher can't throw 100 pitches and be effective if they haven't worked their way up to it during the season. He could throw that many but he would fatigue probably around the 50 pitch point and probably start causing damage by 100.

Your glenohumeral joint is by design a very unstable joint because it has a large range of motion compared to for example the hip joint. Because of this it is largely dependent on small stabilizing muscles (rotator cuff, supraspinatus, infraspinatus) to keep the joint working properly. Once these fatigue, there starts to be excessive motion or instability in the joint. This in turn will start to place excessive stress on other tissue and cause damage. 

So its not that he couldn't throw 100 pitches. It's that he would be far less effective and cause fatigue which would most likely lead to damage in the joint.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

A pitcher can't throw 100 pitches and be effective if they haven't worked their way up to it during the season. He could throw that many but he would fatigue probably around the 50 pitch point and probably start causing damage by 100.

Your glenohumeral joint is by design a very unstable joint because it has a large range of motion compared to for example the hip joint. Because of this it is largely dependent on small stabilizing muscles (rotator cuff, supraspinatus, infraspinatus) to keep the joint working properly. Once these fatigue, there starts to be excessive motion or instability in the joint. This in turn will start to place excessive stress on other tissue and cause damage. 

So its not that he couldn't throw 100 pitches. It's that he would be far less effective and cause fatigue which would most likely lead to damage in the joint.

When did pros like yourself figure this out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oldsox said:

When did pros like yourself figure this out?

In the 80's is when the research started and we has the theories. Its always evolving but in the early 90's is when the current knowledge base really started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×