9/23/21 White Sox @ Cleveland 5:10 PM Game 2 of Doubleheader

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

How many IP does Kopech get next year? Will they roll a hybrid 5+ man rotation?  Giving Kopech alternating starts to increase his workload?

He's not going to get to 70 this season (maybe if there's an extended playoff run). It's hard to see him being in any shape to get far beyond what Rodon will do this year (130+ plus playoffs). And that's if they don't decide to just keep him in the bullpen because certain people want him there - which I think is way more likely than we want to consider.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's not going to get to 70 this season (maybe if there's an extended playoff run). It's hard to see him being in any shape to get far beyond what Rodon will do this year (130+ plus playoffs). And that's if they don't decide to just keep him in the bullpen because certain people want him there - which I think is way more likely than we want to consider.

I’d think a regular season target of 120-130 would be reasonable after a 70 inning base. That assumes his arm can handle that big of a jump.

Would like for him to be rolled out around June, can work on his third and forth pitches he’s set aside for his current role in AZ, or work out here under Katz’ supervision. Make sure he is available in October. Cap his outings at 3-5 innings to start. He could then jump to a regular workload in 2023.

They paced him well this season, wished for more but not sure he could/ should have handled 100.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

at this point I have no idea what their plan is for him. he certainly isn't going to build arm strength at this pace.

I hope he uses his curve and change up more during his relief appearances. He's gotten too reliant on fastball and slider as a reliever. 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

at this point I have no idea what their plan is for him. he certainly isn't going to build arm strength at this pace.

They said during the pre-game show that they want him to make another appearance (or two, can’t remember quote exactly) where he goes multiple inning so he can do that in the playoffs. Running out of time.