Grade this year's trade deadline

ron883

Grade this year's trade deadline  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Grade this year's trade deadline

13 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Failure to get a RF and dramatically overpaying for Kimbrel are huge negatives. Missing on Escobar is still mystifying to me. It will take HUGE contributions from Kimbrel and Cesar in the postseason to raise the grade. Since the Sox FO saw Cleveland waive the white flag before the deadline, any deals had to be to strengthen us in the postseason. I think we gave up way too much equity to not get a RF. 

I can agree with some of this like the part about Escobar and giving up too much for Kimbrel but then again if the Sox somehow manage to win the World Series I don't care about what the trades cost since the future value of what was traded has to play out. As far as a RF goes there should be enough thunder in the lineup without every position having a great player.

Losing Madrigal was tough. Adding Heuer seemed like an overpay. Madrigal alone should've been enough. I also wonder about how the Sox are valuing  Sheets and Burger or even Vaughn.

I'm just not one of those guys who is too concerned about having a good team every year.  I know how necessary that is to making the playoffs ,which in turn, gives you more shots at the World Series. But if the Sox win the World Series this year or in 22 or 23 I will be very happy about it and 2024 through whatever year won't matter to me.

I gave it a D.  Tepera has been solid, Cesar seemed like an easy solution for 2B, and I liked going all in to get Kimbrel and solidify the back end.  The results however have been poor - but I can’t entirely fault the FO there.  Doing nothing or only getting Tepera is an F.  Hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps there were better gets than Kimbrel.  If he performs in October it’s all moot IMO.  Failing to get a bat continues to bite them and I fear it will be the offense failing that ultimately does them in. 

5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Grade this thread.  I’ll start:  D

I'll send you the report I'm currently submitting to the moderators regarding your offtopic and mean-spirited post. You can grade that too, if you don't get banned. 

Edited by ron883

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

I'll send you the report I'm currently submitting to the moderators regarding your offtopic and mean-spirited post. You can grade that too, if you don't get banned. 

Four letter word. Starts and ends with “p” with a whole lot of “oo” in the middle.

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nick Madrigal showed us two things in his time here. An 80 hit tool and an 80 injury tool.  Everything else about him was not what we expected.  Maybe he gets there eventually, but his defense and baserunning where decidedly average as a whole. The grinder fan club can stan him all they like, but when 2Bs are a dime a dozen, it's more like Nick Mehdrigal.  

Kimbrel may have struggled since he got here, but remember 2 things. #1, the pen outside of Liam was pretty scary at this point, including Heuer who was supposed to be a vital bridge guy. #2, Kimbrel had put up the best stats of any reliever on the market at that point, and Rick Hahn beat everyone to him without giving up a current starter or top prospect. 

Oh my, you're still here stanning for this move. Amazing.

I'll say it probably for the 30th time. Madrigal for Kimbrel would have been laughable at the beginning of the season. Thirty innings from an aging expensive reliever should have never ever changed that. It's absolutely amazing to me you still think this was a smart move.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh my, you're still here stanning for this move. Amazing.

I'll say it probably for the 30th time. Madrigal for Kimbrel would have been laughable at the beginning of the season. Thirty innings from an aging expensive reliever should have never ever changed that. It's absolutely amazing to me you still think this was a smart move.

I guess trying to win in the playoffs this year isn't as important to you as it is to the front office.

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

An all-star as in the Cubs are rebuilding and need someone to represent them?  Sure. An all-star as in one of the best 2Bs in the NL?  Can't see it. Sure I could see him hitting. 330, but what else? He's physically limited in power for sure. He doesn't walk. His speed never materialized. He could hit. 330, and have a .725/.750 OPS.  

Kimbrel was bad for the two years prior; he had been fading for his last 2 years in Boston as well. It's amazing how Madrigal is knocked by you while you flat out ignore what Kimbrel had shown for years prior to a good 30 innings this year. I sure hope you aren't in the investment world with your buy high and sell low strategy.

It's OK to be wrong. The trade sucked. Kimbrel isn't the superstar reliever he was in his 20's. You got the volatile guy that he has become and it was an atrocious deal. And now you're stuck with an 18 million dollar 8th inning guy next year who could be mediocre. If his option is picked up and he's not traded, Kimbrel no doubt prevents the Sox from making a move that would help the team much more than him next year.

• Love 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I guess trying to win in the playoffs this year isn't as important to you as it is to the front office.

Yeah, it actually was important which was why the deal was atrocious. If you wanted to trade Madrigal you should have actually gotten a non-volatile impact player for the end of this year.

Can you bump your bullpen thread you created after that trade? Always good for a laugh.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, it actually was important which was why the deal was atrocious. If you wanted to trade Madrigal you should have actually gotten a non-volatile impact player for the end of this year.

Can you bump your bullpen thread you created after that trade? Always good for a laugh.

You have to play to bring back the kind of players you are talking about.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

You have to play to bring back the kind of players you are talking about.

They could have gotten Kris Bryant without giving up Madrigal. Bryant would have had a much greater impact on this team. I said this the day of the trade. Hahn's strategy never ever made sense. It was terrible. This was after missing out on the actual power-first 2nd baseman and getting one whose power was very obviously much less sustainable. Hahn failed miserably at the deadline.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They could have gotten Kris Bryant without giving up Madrigal. Bryant would have had a much greater impact on this team. I said this the day of the trade. Hahn's strategy never ever made sense. It was terrible. This was after missing out on the actual power-first 2nd baseman and getting one whose power was very obviously much less sustainable. Hahn failed miserably at the deadline.

Bryant would not come to the south side. He wanted to go to the west coast and the Cubs wanted to accommodate him. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Failure to get a RF and dramatically overpaying for Kimbrel are huge negatives. Missing on Escobar is still mystifying to me. It will take HUGE contributions from Kimbrel and Cesar in the postseason to raise the grade. Since the Sox FO saw Cleveland waive the white flag before the deadline, any deals had to be to strengthen us in the postseason. I think we gave up way too much equity to not get a RF. 

Agree with you150%.  I could not have said it better.  I grade it a D because of Tepera, otherwise I would have graded an F.

45 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kimbrel was bad for the two years prior; he had been fading for his last 2 years in Boston as well. It's amazing how Madrigal is knocked by you while you flat out ignore what Kimbrel had shown for years prior to a good 30 innings this year. I sure hope you aren't in the investment world with your buy high and sell low strategy.

It's OK to be wrong. The trade sucked. Kimbrel isn't the superstar reliever he was in his 20's. You got the volatile guy that he has become and it was an atrocious deal. And now you're stuck with an 18 million dollar 8th inning guy next year who could be mediocre. If his option is picked up and he's not traded, Kimbrel no doubt prevents the Sox from making a move that would help the team much more than him next year.

Problem with the Kimbrel deal was that we did not really need him.  We already had Hendricks plus Kopech,Bummer, crochet and had acquired Tepera. Second problem was that we grossly overpaid for CK when we could have used resources instead to obtain the RF that we sorely needed. The Kimbrel trade was the Quintana trade in reverse.

10 hours ago, fathom said:

With all due respect, I hate grading it now. If you graded the 2005 deadline before the season ended, anyone would have said “meh”.  After what Blum did in the WS, it’s considered an amazing deadline.  

It's ridiculous to grade it now, but consider the source. 

• Like 1