Grade this year's trade deadline

ron883

Grade this year's trade deadline  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Grade this year's trade deadline

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would accept it and try to trade him. I think they should be spending a lot more money though regardless. If his $15 million stops them from doing something else, they need to decline it probably. 

This is where I am at as well. What could we even get in a trade after his horrendous stint with us?

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I would accept it and try to trade him. I think they should be spending a lot more money though regardless. If his $15 million stops them from doing something else, they need to decline it probably. 

I would guess they will have to pay some of his contract to get something worth getting back in a trade.  I'm interested to see what they do.  Could I guess see what they would get back at the trade deadline next season but boy that would be risky.

10 hours ago, bryank1202 said:

F.  Madrigal was a 1st round pick and got on base with speed , solid defense.  Knew Kimbrel would bust just like he did for Cubs.  Trading with two of your biggest rivals always back fires.  Tepara was good but he should have shut his mouth.  Just embarrassing the sox.

The only fact from this statement is that he was a 1st round pick. 

I think someone else said it as well here, but the White Sox are absolutely horrendous at scouting MLB players. They buy high constantly; refuse to believe the production of a player who is aging and deteriorating actually means that; ignore the approach changes that will likely lead to poor production going forward; believe in small samples as representation of massive changes that override larger recent samples of production to the contrary; have no idea what they are missing from their lineup or team in order to acquire players that fit those shortfalls.

It was always the process that sucked the most about this deadline. Investing huge resources into the bullpen is not something savvy teams do; wanting power from 2B and trading for someone who had shown a little power for 3 months of his career over the guy who has consistently shown power; ignoring RF as a glaring hole of need. Sure the SP let the team down, and was likely just some bad luck - I don't think the results are representative of what those guys are truly capable of - but the supplementing of this roster at the trade deadline was a disaster and is a further indication that when it comes to MLB scouting, this team is near the bottom of baseball. For as much as they've grown and improved on the developing and amateur side, their talent to make the right move with MLB players is greatly lacking. Sometimes I think the Sox do what the media think is great, while other great teams do what they know is great. The Sox let the narrative dictate their wants and needs - everyone in the media was pandering for Kimbrel, but Kimbrel was never what he once was. The Sox, on the MLB side, are not free independent thinkers and for that reason they failed again.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, ron883 said:

People are really convinced they keep Kimbrel at 16m a year? The guy had an awful 2nd half, and was absolutely horrendous the previous 2 seasons. Not to mention he will be 34... Who the fuck would want this guy?

I can see the argument of keeping him and flipping him but with what he has done and his salary, isn't he more of a I'll take him off your hands kind of deal instead of one that will net you much of a return?  Would it be a bad contract for bad contract kind of a deal?  If they do accept the offer, I sure hope some here are correct that teams will look past a bad couple of months but I don't see how the Sox don't have to eat some of that $$.

Just now, wegner said:

I can see the argument of keeping him and flipping him but with what he has done and his salary, isn't he more of a I'll take him off your hands kind of deal instead of one that will net you much of a return?  Would it be a bad contract for bad contract kind of a deal?  If they do accept the offer, I sure hope some here are correct that teams will look past a bad couple of months but I don't see how the Sox don't have to eat some of that $$.

Yeah, just fucking dump him and sign Conforto. It won't be a major difference in cost for this year. 

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

And the White Sox will have him on their roster through July before they eat any money on it.

25 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What do you imagine we could get for him now that he had the horrendous end to 2020?  I honestly have no idea.  Any comps/name ideas to give me a clearer picture?

I haven't heard any specific names. Again when teams do a deep dive on him they will see his stuff didn't suddenly fall off a cliff from the 1st half to the 2nd so there had to be another reason why he was ineffective.  It won't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I haven't heard any specific names. Again when teams do a deep dive on him they will see his stuff didn't suddenly fall off a cliff from the 1st half to the 2nd so there had to be another reason why he was ineffective.  It won't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.  

Well,

03DB8877-55B7-4C58-B2FA-81805DC0DCC1.jpeg

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I still can’t get over the fact that they could have had Escobar in June and said “naw we are worried about his medical stuff”, then Escobar was solid the rest of the year with no injuries and they instead traded for a guy who fell apart. They scouted what, 3 players fully wrong?

OK, about this. 

I actually don't think it was about the medical stuff WRT Escobar. I actually think that Kenny and Rick [once again] got their "strategery" all wrong with this TDL, because, as I've always said, they're fucking morons.

Go back to their pressers when they moronically acquired Kimbrel. KW and RH are mopes that ALWAYS crow when they think they've "done good." KW and RH said that they ZEROED IN on Kimbrel. To me, this means that they BUILT their entire TDL "strategery" around getting Kimbrel, REGARDLESS of cost.

I think that when it became apparent that Kimbrel would cost Madrigal+ in trade, they crapped their pants and decided that they needed a 2B that had control beyond 2021. Smarter and better FOs would have considered the COST of an acquisition, as well as FIT in the roster/salary structure, as well as alternative options at the TDL. 

Thus, instead of taking the easy win by acquiring Escobar, their idiotic and moronic "strategery" that centered around Kimbrel blew up in their faces. So, instead they decided to send a piece to a rival, in exchange for the Latin equivalent of Danny Mendick. These two imbeciles keep fucking up, because there are no consequences for doing so.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 2