Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ron883

Grade this year's trade deadline

Grade this year's trade deadline  

88 members have voted

  1. 1. Grade this year's trade deadline



Recommended Posts

F.  Madrigal was a 1st round pick and got on base with speed , solid defense.  Knew Kimbrel would bust just like he did for Cubs.  Trading with two of your biggest rivals always back fires.  Tepara was good but he should have shut his mouth.  Just embarrassing the sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traded a first round draft pick who showed signs of being a starting MLB caliber player for 2+ months of some of the worst bullpen pitching I’ve seen and the dumbest pitching stance ever. Not mad that they traded Madrigal, mad that they trade ANYONE for this garbage. 

Edited by ShoeLessRob
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Traded a first round draft pick who showed signs of being a starting MLB caliber player for 2+ months of some of the worst bullpen pitching I’ve seen and the dumbest pitching stance ever. Not mad that they traded Madrigal, mad that they trade ANYONE for this garbage. 

Dont forget Heuer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Dont forget Heuer

Fuck Cody Heuer.   I was so pumped for him this year.  Home grown for years.  Thought he was ice cold in the veins with 97-99.  He was our boy. 
 

If he had just continued his 2020 we’d be sitting super pretty right now.  
 

We traded Heuer and Madrigal for 1 out.  The 1 out Kimbrel got that mattered.  1 fucking out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Fuck Cody Heuer.   I was so pumped for him this year.  Home grown for years.  Thought he was ice cold in the veins with 97-99.  He was our boy. 
 

If he had just continued his 2020 we’d be sitting super pretty right now.  
 

We traded Heuer and Madrigal for 1 out.  The 1 out Kimbrel got that mattered.  1 fucking out. 

Relievers are volatile yo. That's why trading so much for Kimbrel despite his shitty recent track record was stupid. Heuer could bounce back next year and be solid again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So both this off season and last, the team who owned Craig would have to give him away for pretty much free just to shed his contract. 

Yet the sox somehow found a way to acquire by absorbing the entire contract and throwing in two good young players. Amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted finally Ron. Guess what the vote was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im still shaking my head that we gave up Pilkington after the year he was having TO OUR RIVAL who develops pitching studs year after year for a .600 OPS hitter. Yes Cesar had a .600 OPS with us this year. What a terrible job Hahn did 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

im still shaking my head that we gave up Pilkington after the year he was having TO OUR RIVAL who develops pitching studs year after year for a .600 OPS hitter. Yes Cesar had a .600 OPS with us this year. What a terrible job Hahn did 

I still can’t get over the fact that they could have had Escobar in June and said “naw we are worried about his medical stuff”, then Escobar was solid the rest of the year with no injuries and they instead traded for a guy who fell apart. They scouted what, 3 players fully wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahn arguably did a far better overall job this season (Oct 2020 - Sept 2021) than the year (Oct 2019 - Sept 2020) he was crowned "Executive of the Year", though that award was primarily an award earned in 2016-2017 for selling off the inherited assets of Kenny Williams plus Adam Eaton, who Hahn acquired.

Note - 2020 and Trade Acquisition Salaries are pro-rated for amounts paid by the Sox (2020 salaries divided by 2.7 (60/162)).

2020 Season (Oct 2019 - Sept 2020) $82.7M (10.1 bWAR) - Salaries and bWAR paid/earned are for 2020 and 2021

Future Options: Abreu (2022 $19.7M); Grandal (2022 & 2023 $36.5M) & Keuchel (2022 $19.5M, or $38M for 2022 & 2023 if he vests).

  • Signed Rick Renteria to a Two Year Extension. Fired him after 60 games, eating his 2021 salary.
  • Yasmani Grandal $25.1M (4.6)
  • Dallas Keuchel $24.7M (0.3)
  • Jose Abreu $22.4M (6.0)
  • Edwin Encarnacion $4.4M (-0.3)
  • Nomar Mazara $2.1M (-0.1) - Trade for Steele Walker
  • Gio Gonzalez $2.1M (-0.2)
  • Steve Cishek $1.9M (-0.2)

2021 Season (Oct 2020 - Sept 2021) $42.6M (12.9 bWAR)

Future Options: Hendriks (2022 - 2024 $42.7M); Lynn (2022 & 2023 $38M); Kimbrel ($15M for 2022 ($1M buyout included below); Hernandez (2022 $6M Team Opt).

  • Fired Rick Renteria with one contract year remaining, signed Tony La Russa (chalking the latter up to JR) & added two crony coaching positions.
  • Fired clubhouse snitch Don Cooper and hired Ethan Katz. The rest TLR's staff were TLR's selections or inherited staff he was OK with.
  • Liam Hendriks $13.3M (2.6)
  • Lance Lynn $9.3M (5.4) - Trade for Dave Dunning & Avery Weems
  • Adam Eaton $8.0M (0.0)
  • Craig Kimbrel $6.8M (0.0) - Trade for Codi Heuer & Nick Madrigal
  • Carlos Rodon $3.0M (5.1)
  • Cesar Hernandez $1.9M (-0.8) - Trade for Konnor Pilkington
  • Ryan Tepera $0.3M (0.6) - Trade for Bailey Horn
Edited by South Side Hit Men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Big fat F. Just awful.

I will give a D- for Tepera now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will give a D- for Tepera now?

I guess that’s fair

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The grade is an F. They did not get out of the first round. Tepera doesn't matter. Hernandez was bad enough his option will be declined. And Kimbrel was so bad his option will be declined. I never thought the Sox had any intention of keeping Kimbrel from the start, but they won't be able to flip him with a $16 million price tag.  Hindsight isn't fair, but it's the only way to give an accurate grade. It turns out, the Sox didn't improve their team at the deadline. They only weakened their assets and spent some cash which will bite us all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn arguably did a far better overall job this season (Oct 2020 - Sept 2021) than the year (Oct 2019 - Sept 2020) he was crowned "Executive of the Year", though that award was primarily an award earned in 2016-2017 for selling off the inherited assets of Kenny Williams plus Adam Eaton, who Hahn acquired.

Note - 2020 and Trade Acquisition Salaries are pro-rated for amounts paid by the Sox (2020 salaries divided by 2.7 (60/162)).

2020 Season (Oct 2019 - Sept 2020) $82.7M (10.1 bWAR) - Salaries and bWAR paid/earned are for 2020 and 2021

Future Options: Abreu (2022 $19.7M); Grandal (2022 & 2023 $36.5M) & Keuchel (2022 $19.5M, or $38M for 2022 & 2023 if he vests).

  • Signed Rick Renteria to a Two Year Extension. Fired him after 60 games, eating his 2021 salary.
  • Yasmani Grandal $25.1M (4.6)
  • Dallas Keuchel $24.7M (0.3)
  • Jose Abreu $22.4M (6.0)
  • Edwin Encarnacion $4.4M (-0.3)
  • Nomar Mazara $2.1M (-0.1) - Trade for Steele Walker
  • Gio Gonzalez $2.1M (-0.2)
  • Steve Cishek $1.9M (-0.2)

2021 Season (Oct 2020 - Sept 2021) $42.6M (12.9 bWAR)

Future Options: Hendriks (2022 - 2024 $42.7M); Lynn (2022 & 2023 $38M); Kimbrel ($15M for 2022 ($1M buyout included below); Hernandez (2022 $6M Team Opt).

  • Fired Rick Renteria with one contract year remaining, signed Tony La Russa (chalking the latter up to JR) & added two crony coaching positions.
  • Fired clubhouse snitch Don Cooper and hired Ethan Katz. The rest TLR's staff were TLR's selections or inherited staff he was OK with.
  • Liam Hendriks $13.3M (2.6)
  • Lance Lynn $9.3M (5.4) - Trade for Dave Dunning & Avery Weems
  • Adam Eaton $8.0M (0.0)
  • Craig Kimbrel $6.8M (0.0) - Trade for Codi Heuer & Nick Madrigal
  • Carlos Rodon $3.0M (5.1)
  • Cesar Hernandez $1.9M (-0.8) - Trade for Konnor Pilkington
  • Ryan Tepera $0.3M (0.6) - Trade for Bailey Horn

I still can't believe we signed Adam Eaton at all...let alone for $8 million...and that was early in the offseason!  That move was odd at the moment...and embarrassing now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I still can't believe we signed Adam Eaton at all...let alone for $8 million...and that was early in the offseason!  That move was odd at the moment...and embarrassing now!

That's a head shaker.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, oldsox said:

That's a head shaker.

Do you remember when people said we were wrong about criticizing that move after he went on a little hot streak early in the season?  Then nosedive and release.

Edited by wegner
extra that
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bryank1202 said:

F.  Madrigal was a 1st round pick and got on base with speed , solid defense.  Knew Kimbrel would bust just like he did for Cubs.  Trading with two of your biggest rivals always back fires.  Tepara was good but he should have shut his mouth.  Just embarrassing the sox.

Clearly an F but your assessment of Madrigal is wrong.  He apparently doesn't have speed and is a horrible defender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The grade is an F. They did not get out of the first round. Tepera doesn't matter. Hernandez was bad enough his option will be declined. And Kimbrel was so bad his option will be declined. I never thought the Sox had any intention of keeping Kimbrel from the start, but they won't be able to flip him with a $16 million price tag.  Hindsight isn't fair, but it's the only way to give an accurate grade. It turns out, the Sox didn't improve their team at the deadline. They only weakened their assets and spent some cash which will bite us all.

I'm not certain they will/or should decline his option.  I have a feeling they pick it up to try to have another year to prove the trade wasn't a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'm not certain they will/or should decline his option.  I have a feeling they pick it up to try to have another year to prove the trade wasn't a disaster.

Trying to put lipstick on a pig is not the way to go IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always a process over results guy. The trade deadline was fine. It just didn't work out. The value was fair and the targets were the right guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm always a process over results guy. The trade deadline was fine. It just didn't work out. The value was fair and the targets were the right guys. 

Do you think they should accept or decline his option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wegner said:

Do you think they should accept or decline his option?

I would accept it and try to trade him. I think they should be spending a lot more money though regardless. If his $15 million stops them from doing something else, they need to decline it probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×