Gio is our ace

Colome's Hat

Not watching the game today but following close enough so that I feel comfortable making this post.  Gio is our ace and needs to start Game 1.  This is also no disrespect to Lynn or Rodon who have been fantastic this year, Cy Young worthy, but Gio has been our stopper this year and the dude who, when we have needed not just a big outing but a deep outing, he has delivered.  Think his 8 innings against the Twins after the loss.  Or the complete game against the Astros (I believe his last two starts against them have been complete games).  Or the start in Tampa.  I know we all focus on the disastrous game three but lost in that was how wonderful he was in Game one of that series against Oakland.  Dude carried a perfect game into the 7th inning in his first playoff start.  He's been their best pitcher in the second half as well.

1 hour ago, Colome's Hat said:

Not watching the game today but following close enough so that I feel comfortable making this post.  Gio is our ace and needs to start Game 1.  This is also no disrespect to Lynn or Rodon who have been fantastic this year, Cy Young worthy, but Gio has been our stopper this year and the dude who, when we have needed not just a big outing but a deep outing, he has delivered.  Think his 8 innings against the Twins after the loss.  Or the complete game against the Astros (I believe his last two starts against them have been complete games).  Or the start in Tampa.  I know we all focus on the disastrous game three but lost in that was how wonderful he was in Game one of that series against Oakland.  Dude carried a perfect game into the 7th inning in his first playoff start.  He's been their best pitcher in the second half as well.

He had some bad luck and could have picked up a few more wins. I'm not sure who TLR will pick to start the first game but I have no trouble with it being Gio.

• Like 1

Cease has the most extreme home/road splits so he should pitch at home.

Lynn is historically bad at Houston so he should pitch at home.

If the Sox aren't using those two data points to make this decision then something is very, very wrong.

That leaves Giolito and Rodon to pitch games 1-2, and Giolito is going to be better able to come back on 4 days rest for game 5, so I send him out for game 1.

I would go Giolito/Rodon/Cease/Lynn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

I don’t disagree with your analysis, but I still want Lucas pitching game 2. If we win game 1, he can bury Houston. And if we lose game 1, game 2 becomes extremely critical, and I’d love to have Lucas on the hill for that. 

16 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Cease has the most extreme home/road splits so he should pitch at home.

Lynn is historically bad at Houston so he should pitch at home.

If the Sox aren't using those two data points to make this decision then something is very, very wrong.

That leaves Giolito and Rodon to pitch games 1-2, and Giolito is going to be better able to come back on 4 days rest for game 5, so I send him out for game 1.

I would go Giolito/Rodon/Cease/Lynn.

I'd like to see this, unless they're down 0-2 going into game 3 then you flip Cease and Lynn.

What I'm actually expecting is Gio/Lynn in 1 & 2. I really don't feel great about this Rodon thing, so, in my mind, any playoff innings from him are a bonus unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I'd like to see this, unless they're down 0-2 going into game 3 then you flip Cease and Lynn.

What I'm actually expecting is Gio/Lynn in 1 & 2. I really don't feel great about this Rodon thing, so, in my mind, any playoff innings from him are a bonus unfortunately. 

That's what I'm expecting, but it's wrong. The numbers make it very clear that Lynn shouldn't start in Houston. Start Rodon and have Lopez and Kopech ready to take over.

I do like the idea of starting Cease in Game 3 if up 2-0 or tied 1-1 and starting Lynn in Game 3 if down 0-2.