AND THAT'S A BENCH CLEARING WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

I'm hoping it's over at this point, and Tony or someone on their own doesn't decide to take matters into their own hands as what happened to Ohtani.

James Fegan wrote an article linked below. Was a level headed treatment, explained there were no specific incidents with the Tigers, but rather a culmination of frustration over the most recent HBPs leading up to today's incidents.

https://theathletic.com/2853047/2021/09/27/jose-abreus-anger-at-being-plunked-was-a-long-time-coming-and-reached-a-boil-against-the-tigers/

7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why are the Tigers sending a message to Abreu though.?  And I agree it looked (and after listening to Lange say Jose was crowding the plate, also sounds) like it was intentional, but why?  What did Jose do?  He actually had a shitty game with multiple double plays, it wasn't like he was killing them. 

If you're the pitcher who's going to throw at someone, you're gonna pick the guy who has a history of getting hit and not charging the mound.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If you're the pitcher who's going to throw at someone, you're gonna pick the guy who has a history of getting hit and not charging the mound.

I still don't really get it.  There was no need to start anything, nothing happened in that game up until that point that was controversial.  

46 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I still don't really get it.  There was no need to start anything, nothing happened in that game up until that point that was controversial.  

I don't get it, either. If anyone should have been in a bad mood, it should have been the White Sox for turning a 8-2 rout into a 8-7 nail-biter. Do that in the playoffs, it is an early exit.

51 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm not sure a team has a leader like Abreu since the Yankees had Jeter.  It is not about stats or anything it is about being the unequivocal leader of the team and organization.  He stands above everyone in that organization.  The praise given to him by the players and coaches is unquestioned.  His drive and desire are something special.

Why would the Tigers feel the need to make a point.......well go look at the this board and all the shit that is piled on TLR when talking about unwritten rules and what not.  Seems to me that AJ Hinch is cut from that cloth and cheating and hitting players are part of how he wants to play the game.  

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I'm not sure a team has a leader like Abreu since the Yankees had Jeter.  It is not about stats or anything it is about being the unequivocal leader of the team and organization.  He stands above everyone in that organization.  The praise given to him by the players and coaches is unquestioned.  His drive and desire are something special.

Why would the Tigers feel the need to make a point.......well go look at the this board and all the shit that is piled on TLR when talking about unwritten rules and what not.  Seems to me that AJ Hinch is cut from that cloth and cheating and hitting players are part of how he wants to play the game.  

I get all that stuff, but these guys usually need reasons to start shit.  It's not usually "pick the team leader and hit him 6 days before the season ends to send some message" with no message other than "it's old school"

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I get all that stuff, but these guys usually need reasons to start shit.  It's not usually "pick the team leader and hit him 6 days before the season ends to send some message" with no message other than "it's old school"

The tigers didn't throw at Abreu intentionally. But, like other teams, They are busting him inside. and like other teams,  their young pitchers do not know how to do this. Despite Jose not standing particularly close to the plate, he is getting drilled often. To make other teams "more careful" you can starting pitching their star similarly, slide hard, etc. That's what happened against the angels and now the tigers.

We cannot afford to lose Pito for the playoffs because some green pitcher gets careless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kleedawg said:

The tigers didn't throw at Abreu intentionally. But, like other teams, They are busting him inside. and like other teams,  their young pitchers do not know how to do this. Despite Jose not standing particularly close to the plate, he is getting drilled often. To make other teams "more careful" you can starting pitching their star similarly, slide hard, etc. That's what happened against the angels and now the tigers.

We cannot afford to lose Pito for the playoffs because some green pitcher gets careless. 

I disagree that they weren't throwing at him intentionally 

8 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

So you think they hit him intentionally in a 1 run game with 1 out in the ninth, with Jose down 2 strikes? 

Dude I know it doesn't make sense, but none of what Lange or Hinch said makes sense.  they both said Jose was crowding the plate and he wasn't even close to the plate, that ball was following him.  

Also apparently Lange said something to him that really set him off when the play happened at second.  

none of it passes the sniff test to me, it was a very weird inning.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude I know it doesn't make sense, but none of what Lange or Hinch said makes sense.  they both said Jose was crowding the plate and he wasn't even close to the plate, that ball was following him.  

Also apparently Lange said something to him that really set him off when the play happened at second.  

I agree with you. To me it screamed Hinch trying to get a little rivalry going so his team can feed into that going into next year. Lange was not bothered at all after he hit Abreu. TLR is what he is but he's been in a baseball a long time, he knows Hinch was using the Sox. 

9 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why are the Tigers sending a message to Abreu though.?  And I agree it looked (and after listening to Lange say Jose was crowding the plate, also sounds) like it was intentional, but why?  What did Jose do?  He actually had a shitty game with multiple double plays, it wasn't like he was killing them. 

He's in that mode of his where he forgets how to take an outside pitch to RF, tries to pull them and hits grounders to the shortstop.  Most maddening big RBI guy I've ever seen.  Makes you wonder about the value of the RBI stat.

31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Maybe Hinch is mad the Sox didn't hire him and this is his way of making his point.   Maybe he had an under the table deal with Hahn and is pissed. 

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

I agree with you. To me it screamed Hinch trying to get a little rivalry going so his team can feed into that going into next year. Lange was not bothered at all after he hit Abreu. TLR is what he is but he's been in a baseball a long time, he knows Hinch was using the Sox. 

Unless you hit someone in the head, why would hitting a batter bother a pitcher? Pitchers are selling out for velocity so control is at an all time low, especially without the sticky stuff.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He's in that mode of his where he forgets how to take an outside pitch to RF, tries to pull them and hits grounders to the shortstop.  Most maddening big RBI guy I've ever seen.  Makes you wonder about the value of the RBI stat.

Seriously?  The first sentence is spot on.  The 2nd two are comical AF as it related to Jose. 

Edited by ChiSox59

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Unless you hit someone in the head, why would hitting a batter bother a pitcher? Pitchers are selling out for velocity so control is at an all time low, especially without the sticky stuff.

I mean just kinda common decency you're not trying to go out there and plunk the opposition so that itself would be enough to kinda shake your head and be a bit remorseful. Wright literally did that earlier in that game

On MLB Network Pedro Martinez when thru the video of the hit-by-pitch and he said there is no doubt Jose was hit on purpose.  Pointed out that the pitcher's eyes and head were directed right at Jose the entire delivery and follow-thru.  Of course, because that network always plays both sides, Harold Reynolds was critical of Jose's slide because this is a "new era" and you just can't use those old techniques to make your point.  I loved the slide!  But Harold didn't...although he did say that when he was playing and a hitter got plunked...he expected to be taken out by the base runner on any ground ball that followed.