AND THAT'S A BENCH CLEARING WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

This is just fodder to create drama by the media and fans buy into it. Some of the theories are ridiculous.  Tony on the other hand is always an asshole when his players get hit. I still haven't forgotten he started an incident when Thigpen accidentally hit one of the A's players in the head.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I mean just kinda common decency you're not trying to go out there and plunk the opposition so that itself would be enough to kinda shake your head and be a bit remorseful. Wright literally did that earlier in that game

I don't think you are seeing remorse. I think you are seeing frustration from Wright because he doesn't have good command.

I'm an old guy and events like this bring to mind memories...
Sandy Koufax had a low hit-batter rate, but stated "I don't throw at batters, but to avoid going inside hard and high/low isn't good pitching. I attack hitters."
Taking that into account, I think Martinez is right on this AND I liked the slide. But as I said, I'm an old guy.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

I love these bench clearing yell fests because you can see who on your team is out there first ready to throw down and who is last and a giant p****. It looked to me like the first 3 were Moncoda, Crochet, and Grandal. Crochet was the most impressive because he got in there quick and was definitely ready to go.

I like the spirit but nobody on this team needs to catch a 5 game suspension right now.

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I like the spirit but nobody on this team needs to catch a 5 game suspension right now.

Do suspensions carry over into the playoffs?  I worry about this weekend.  

Even if we have someone like Mike Wright or Matt Foster put one into Miggy's ribs, I worry more about the bench clearing fracas and suspensions from that.  Sox could not even re-instigate but the Tigers pitchers very well may.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Even if we have someone like Mike Wright or Matt Foster put one into Miggy's ribs, I worry more about the bench clearing fracas and suspensions from that.  Sox could not even re-instigate but the Tigers pitchers very well may.  

That's why those fuckers hit Abreu. They know the Sox can't do jack shit.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's why those fuckers hit Abreu. They know the Sox can't do jack shit.

I really don't think the Tigers hit Abreu on purpose.  I think they (like everyone else) were pitching him tight inside.  But I don't think there was any malice to the pitch.  The situation didn't really make sense for it. 

Edited by ChiSox59
grammar I couldn't not fix

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I really don't think the Tigers hit Abreu on purpose.  I think they (like everyone else) were pitching him tight inside.  But I don't think there was any malice to the pitch.  The situation didn't really make sense for it. 

Yep, you hit him on the first pitch of the AB if that’s your plan

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, you hit him on the first pitch of the AB if that’s your plan

That being said, don't blame Jose one bit for his reaction.  Its got to get tiring, and he's been scuffling.  Taking a 95 mph FB on the elbow cap can't feel good.  He almost boiled over last week when he took one square on the forearm. 

It seemed like retaliation to me and pretty bush league if it was.  It's one thing to throw at a guy on the first pitch.  It's entirely different to throw at someone with an 0-2 count that's protecting the plate.  The Tigers claimed that they were pitching inside and Abreu was standing on the plate.  Watch the replay.  Abreu was no where near the plate. Sounds like a poor excuse to cover up the truth.  Teams rarely own up to throwing at a guy regardless if it was on purpose or not.  

1 minute ago, Good Guys said:

It seemed like retaliation to me and pretty bush league if it was.  It's one thing to throw at a guy on the first pitch.  It's entirely different to throw at someone with an 0-2 count that's protecting the plate.  The Tigers claimed that they were pitching inside and Abreu was standing on the plate.  Watch the replay.  Abreu was no where near the plate. Sounds like a poor excuse to cover up the truth.  Teams rarely own up to throwing at a guy regardless if it was on purpose or not.  

But why hit a guy when you're up 0-2 in the 9th inning and just worked your way  back from down 6 runs to down 1 in the bottom of the 8th? It doesn't make any sense. Not to mention, Wright hit a guy (who basically hit himself) with 2 men on.  Such an obvious non intentional HBP.  Retaliating in that scenario requires a pretty poor understanding of the game. 

They didn't hit Abreu intentionally.  They did, however, pitch him inside intentionally which obviously comes with a higher chance of a HBP.  Until the Sox start protecting Jose by doing what he did or throwing at opposing teams, opponents are going to continue to do that to Jose because it is the most effective way to pitch him. 

8 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I don't get it, either. If anyone should have been in a bad mood, it should have been the White Sox for turning a 8-2 rout into a 8-7 nail-biter. Do that in the playoffs, it is an early exit.

Hopefully, we will not see Wright in the playoffs with an opportunity to blow a 6 run lead.

1 minute ago, brijames1957 said:

I'm pretty sure Lynn will drill somebody in that 1st inning Friday. The team needs a spark right now and no better team to throw at than the Tigers.

They aren't going to risk Lynn getting a suspension. Maybe Wright or Foster later in the game.

6 hours ago, Snopek said:

I don't know that Lange was actively trying to hit Abreu, but it definitely feels like he wasn't exactly trying to NOT hit him...if that makes sense. 

Lack of command and lack of care, essentially. I'm throwing it in this general area and if he gets hit, he gets hit.

I think this sums it up rather well.

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

It was a long time ago, but Roberto Alomar spit in an umpire’s face and was allowed to play in the playoffs.