Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

AND THAT'S A BENCH CLEARING WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

Recommended Posts

I'm hoping it's over at this point, and Tony or someone on their own doesn't decide to take matters into their own hands as what happened to Ohtani.

James Fegan wrote an article linked below. Was a level headed treatment, explained there were no specific incidents with the Tigers, but rather a culmination of frustration over the most recent HBPs leading up to today's incidents.

https://theathletic.com/2853047/2021/09/27/jose-abreus-anger-at-being-plunked-was-a-long-time-coming-and-reached-a-boil-against-the-tigers/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why are the Tigers sending a message to Abreu though.?  And I agree it looked (and after listening to Lange say Jose was crowding the plate, also sounds) like it was intentional, but why?  What did Jose do?  He actually had a shitty game with multiple double plays, it wasn't like he was killing them. 

If you're the pitcher who's going to throw at someone, you're gonna pick the guy who has a history of getting hit and not charging the mound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If you're the pitcher who's going to throw at someone, you're gonna pick the guy who has a history of getting hit and not charging the mound.

I still don't really get it.  There was no need to start anything, nothing happened in that game up until that point that was controversial.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I still don't really get it.  There was no need to start anything, nothing happened in that game up until that point that was controversial.  

It's Detroit. There's nothing to get. You're thinking way above their level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

It's Detroit. There's nothing to get. You're thinking way above their level.

Hinch isn't a fucking idiot man, this really is a stupid thing though.  That's the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, superchops70 said:

How in the world is Kimbrel’s ERA 2.30? It feels like it’s 5.30. 

Well it was like 0.68 when he got to the Sox lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I still don't really get it.  There was no need to start anything, nothing happened in that game up until that point that was controversial.  

I don't get it, either. If anyone should have been in a bad mood, it should have been the White Sox for turning a 8-2 rout into a 8-7 nail-biter. Do that in the playoffs, it is an early exit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I still don't really get it.  There was no need to start anything, nothing happened in that game up until that point that was controversial.  

I'm not sure a team has a leader like Abreu since the Yankees had Jeter.  It is not about stats or anything it is about being the unequivocal leader of the team and organization.  He stands above everyone in that organization.  The praise given to him by the players and coaches is unquestioned.  His drive and desire are something special.

Why would the Tigers feel the need to make a point.......well go look at the this board and all the shit that is piled on TLR when talking about unwritten rules and what not.  Seems to me that AJ Hinch is cut from that cloth and cheating and hitting players are part of how he wants to play the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I'm not sure a team has a leader like Abreu since the Yankees had Jeter.  It is not about stats or anything it is about being the unequivocal leader of the team and organization.  He stands above everyone in that organization.  The praise given to him by the players and coaches is unquestioned.  His drive and desire are something special.

Why would the Tigers feel the need to make a point.......well go look at the this board and all the shit that is piled on TLR when talking about unwritten rules and what not.  Seems to me that AJ Hinch is cut from that cloth and cheating and hitting players are part of how he wants to play the game.  

I get all that stuff, but these guys usually need reasons to start shit.  It's not usually "pick the team leader and hit him 6 days before the season ends to send some message" with no message other than "it's old school"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I get all that stuff, but these guys usually need reasons to start shit.  It's not usually "pick the team leader and hit him 6 days before the season ends to send some message" with no message other than "it's old school"

The tigers didn't throw at Abreu intentionally. But, like other teams, They are busting him inside. and like other teams,  their young pitchers do not know how to do this. Despite Jose not standing particularly close to the plate, he is getting drilled often. To make other teams "more careful" you can starting pitching their star similarly, slide hard, etc. That's what happened against the angels and now the tigers.

We cannot afford to lose Pito for the playoffs because some green pitcher gets careless. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kleedawg said:

The tigers didn't throw at Abreu intentionally. But, like other teams, They are busting him inside. and like other teams,  their young pitchers do not know how to do this. Despite Jose not standing particularly close to the plate, he is getting drilled often. To make other teams "more careful" you can starting pitching their star similarly, slide hard, etc. That's what happened against the angels and now the tigers.

We cannot afford to lose Pito for the playoffs because some green pitcher gets careless. 

I disagree that they weren't throwing at him intentionally 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder how much an elbow pad affects Abreu. He insists on not wearing one even after constantly getting plunked there this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I disagree that they weren't throwing at him intentionally 

So you think they hit him intentionally in a 1 run game with 1 out in the ninth, with Jose down 2 strikes? 

Edited by kleedawg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

So you think they hit him intentionally in a 1 run game with 1 out in the ninth, with Jose down 2 strikes? 

Dude I know it doesn't make sense, but none of what Lange or Hinch said makes sense.  they both said Jose was crowding the plate and he wasn't even close to the plate, that ball was following him.  

Also apparently Lange said something to him that really set him off when the play happened at second.  
 

none of it passes the sniff test to me, it was a very weird inning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude I know it doesn't make sense, but none of what Lange or Hinch said makes sense.  they both said Jose was crowding the plate and he wasn't even close to the plate, that ball was following him.  

Also apparently Lange said something to him that really set him off when the play happened at second.  
 

none of it passes the sniff test to me, it was a very weird inning.

I agree with you. To me it screamed Hinch trying to get a little rivalry going so his team can feed into that going into next year. Lange was not bothered at all after he hit Abreu. TLR is what he is but he's been in a baseball a long time, he knows Hinch was using the Sox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

So you think they hit him intentionally in a 1 run game with 1 out in the ninth, with Jose down 2 strikes? 

Yes it was as meaningless of a one run game as you will ever see and it gave them plausible deniability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why are the Tigers sending a message to Abreu though.?  And I agree it looked (and after listening to Lange say Jose was crowding the plate, also sounds) like it was intentional, but why?  What did Jose do?  He actually had a shitty game with multiple double plays, it wasn't like he was killing them. 

He's in that mode of his where he forgets how to take an outside pitch to RF, tries to pull them and hits grounders to the shortstop.  Most maddening big RBI guy I've ever seen.  Makes you wonder about the value of the RBI stat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude I know it doesn't make sense, but none of what Lange or Hinch said makes sense.  they both said Jose was crowding the plate and he wasn't even close to the plate, that ball was following him.  

Also apparently Lange said something to him that really set him off when the play happened at second.  
 

none of it passes the sniff test to me, it was a very weird inning.

Maybe Hinch is mad the Sox didn't hire him and this is his way of making his point.   Maybe he had an under the table deal with Hahn and is pissed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

I agree with you. To me it screamed Hinch trying to get a little rivalry going so his team can feed into that going into next year. Lange was not bothered at all after he hit Abreu. TLR is what he is but he's been in a baseball a long time, he knows Hinch was using the Sox. 

Unless you hit someone in the head, why would hitting a batter bother a pitcher? Pitchers are selling out for velocity so control is at an all time low, especially without the sticky stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, superchops70 said:

How in the world is Kimbrel’s ERA 2.30? It feels like it’s 5.30. 

Because IT IS 5.32 with the Sox.  That is probably why haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He's in that mode of his where he forgets how to take an outside pitch to RF, tries to pull them and hits grounders to the shortstop.  Most maddening big RBI guy I've ever seen.  Makes you wonder about the value of the RBI stat.

Seriously?  The first sentence is spot on.  The 2nd two are comical AF as it related to Jose. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know that Lange was actively trying to hit Abreu, but it definitely feels like he wasn't exactly trying to NOT hit him...if that makes sense. 

Lack of command and lack of care, essentially. I'm throwing it in this general area and if he gets hit, he gets hit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Unless you hit someone in the head, why would hitting a batter bother a pitcher? Pitchers are selling out for velocity so control is at an all time low, especially without the sticky stuff.

I mean just kinda common decency you're not trying to go out there and plunk the opposition so that itself would be enough to kinda shake your head and be a bit remorseful. Wright literally did that earlier in that game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On MLB Network Pedro Martinez when thru the video of the hit-by-pitch and he said there is no doubt Jose was hit on purpose.  Pointed out that the pitcher's eyes and head were directed right at Jose the entire delivery and follow-thru.  Of course, because that network always plays both sides, Harold Reynolds was critical of Jose's slide because this is a "new era" and you just can't use those old techniques to make your point.  I loved the slide!  But Harold didn't...although he did say that when he was playing and a hitter got plunked...he expected to be taken out by the base runner on any ground ball that followed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×