ALDS Playoff Roster Discussion

South Side Hit Men

James Fegan wrote an article today speculating on the ALDS roster. Engel and Rodon's health status, and Romy Gonzalez inclusions are the biggest wild cards at this point.

https://theathletic.com/2848958/2021/09/27/projecting-the-white-sox-playoff-roster-youre-going-to-put-your-best-nine-out-there/

• Catchers (2): Collins, Grandal
  • Infielders (7): Abreu, Anderson, Garcia, Gonzalez, Hernandez, Moncada, Sheets
  • Outfielders (5): Engel, Hamilton, Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn
  • Starters (4): Cease, Giolito, Lynn, Rodon
  • Relievers (8): Bummer, Crochet, Hendriks, Keuchel, Kimbrel, Kopech, Lopez, Tepera

Additional eligible players:

• Position Players (7): Adolfo, Burger, Goodwin, Mendick, Mercedes, Rutherford, Zavala
  • Pitchers (8): Burr, CorderoFoster, Fry, Lambert, Marshall, Ruiz, Stiever, Wright Jr.

Postseason eligibility rules: https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

Teams submit a 26-man roster (it was 25, prior to 2020) prior to each round of the postseason comprised of postseason-eligible players. A club may request permission from the Commissioner's Office to replace a player who is injured during the course of a series, but that player is then ineligible for the rest of that round and the subsequent round, if there is one. A pitcher may be replaced only by another pitcher, and a position player only by another position player.

Teams carry extra players throughout the postseason in the event of injuries, and those players, as well as players on the injured list, can be in the dugout during games, within reason.

This was my guess from another thread.

Unless there are more injuries, they will probably carry less guys in then pen than they have been, and will probably only start 4 guys, so they can carry an extra hitter.

Will guess Giolito,  Lynn, Rodon, Cease start, with Dallas going to the pen.  The rest of the pen will be Liam, Kimbrel, Kopech,  Crochet, Tepera, Bummer, Ruiz, and ReyLo.

Burr, Wright, Foster, Fry, etc are out.

I think they go, 

C. Yas, Collins

1B: Abreu, Sheets 

2B, Leury, Hernandez 

SS: TA

3B: Yo 

OF: Eloy, Robert,  Vaughn, Hamilton

Last spot to Engel or Goodwin if either is healthy.  If not, maybe they keep Burr. Surprise would be 3rd Catcher in Seby.

Romy wasn't added to the 40-man roster until 9/1, he had to be on the 40 man roster the night before in order to be eligible.

Definitely in (24):

Grandal, Abreu, Hernandez, Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn, Collins, Garcia, Sheets, Hamilton

Giolito, Rodon, Lynn, Cease, Hendriks, Kimbrel, Tepera, Kopech, Lopez, Bummer, Crochet, Keuchel

In if not injured (1): Engel

Vying for the last spot(s): Goodwin (eligible to come off the IL), Burger, Marshall, Ruiz, Burr

Analysis: If Engel is good to go then I think that leaves Goodwin out. If Engel and Goodwin are both out then I think it falls to Burger, and the Sox are likely to go with 12 pitchers for the Division Series round and might go with him anyway. If they really want a 13th pitcher then it's between Marshall, Ruiz and Burr and I give the edge to Burr.

Edited to add: Arguing over the last few spots really isn't worth it. Unless things go horribly wrong in the series, no more than 11 position players (12 if you count Hamilton as a late inning defensive replacement) and 9 pitchers are seeing any action. The last 4 names on the roster aren't going be counted on in high leverage situations unless a game goes 12+ innings.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

6 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Romy wasn't added to the 40-man roster until 9/1, he had to be on the 40 man roster the night before in order to be eligible.

This is true, but I believe they can petition for Romy to replace Goodwin, if Goodwin is not activated for the ALDS.

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Last spot to Engel or Goodwin if either is healthy.  If not, maybe they keep Burr. Surprise would be 3rd Catcher in Seby.

On Thursday, I thought the spot came down to Goodwin vs. Marshall, but with Goodwin on the IL, I agree Romy vs. Marshall with Romy the likely favorite is the current final spot. 

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This is true, but I believe they can petition for Romy to replace Goodwin, if Goodwin is not activated for the ALDS.

On Thursday, I thought the spot came down to Goodwin vs. Marshall, but with Goodwin on the IL, I agree Romy vs. Marshall with Romy the likely favorite is the current final spot. 

Well, if they can get Romy in through the back door, I agree he probably gets that last spot.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He'd be a great one to have on the roster, though I would think if he was going to be on it, he'd be up already.

Wright, Burr and Ruiz are on the roster now to eat innings, but at most one of them is going to make the playoff roster so that could explain why Romy isn't up.

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Yeah that would suck for him to have played all this time with the team and then not be able to at least be present for the postseason run 

Playoff teams are allowed to have additional players available for travel and practice with the team. They can also be in the dugout during games. I expect Goodwin to be with the team the entire playoffs.

I'd expect Zavala as emergency catcher to be around, possibly even a longshot like Mercedes, but these two will likely be quarantined. Not for COVID reasons, but rather so their presence will not upset he who shall manage until he passes Connie Mack (915 to go for the all time record).

Teams carry extra players throughout the postseason in the event of injuries, and those players, as well as players on the injured list, can be in the dugout during games, within reason.

• Haha 1

Vaughn looks like an easy out for the past several weeks against better RH pitchers, and he will see a  few in Houston. The excuses for him have gotten old. (i.e., Stone reminding how he was forced to play outfield and how hard Vaughn hits balls that are caught for routine outs). There are a lot of outfielders that hit .237 with 15 HR in their rookie year.  So what? Vaughn can make everyone forget his struggles over the last month or so with a couple of clutch hits in the playoffs. Pump a three run homer for a White Sox play-off win and Vaughn will be the toast of the town.  Not many recall what Scotty Pods hit for average in 2005, but that WS game 2 winning home run won't be forgotten anytime soon.  The playoffs are time for champions to rise above the rest.  Who are the players that can meet that challenge?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Playoff teams are allowed to have additional players available for travel and practice with the team. They can also be in the dugout during games. I expect Goodwin to be with the team the entire playoffs.

I'd expect Zavala as emergency catcher to be around, possibly even a longshot like Mercedes, but these two will likely be quarantined. Not for COVID reasons, but rather so their presence will not upset he who shall manage until he passes Connie Mack (915 to go for the all time record).

If Yermin was already off of the AAA roster for some reason, I can't see him being around for the playoff roster, even as an extra.

20 hours ago, tray said:

Vaughn looks like an easy out for the past several weeks against better RH pitchers, and he will see a  few in Houston. The excuses for him have gotten old. (i.e., Stone reminding how he was forced to play outfield and how hard Vaughn hits balls that are caught for routine outs). There are a lot of outfielders that hit .237 with 15 HR in their rookie year.  So what? Vaughn can make everyone forget his struggles over the last month or so with a couple of clutch hits in the playoffs. Pump a three run homer for a White Sox play-off win and Vaughn will be the toast of the town.  Not many recall what Scotty Pods hit for average in 2005, but that WS game 2 winning home run won't be forgotten anytime soon.  The playoffs are time for champions to rise above the rest.  Who are the players that can meet that challenge?

I have barely been here over the last month, but glad to see nothing has changed.

I would rather have Yermin as our 26th guy over a guy like Goodwin. I have more belief that we will need a PHer late in a game rather than a guy to play a position for multiple innings. I think Yermin gives us the best hitter to come off the bench of all our bench guys. I like Hamilton on the team to be a pinch runner late in a game that we desperately need a run. Then you have your starters: Grandal, Abreu, Hernandez, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Robert, Garcia, Sheets, Giolito, Lynn, Rodon, Cease, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Bummer, Kopech, Tapera, Crochet. That puts me at 21. Collins, Vaughn for sure. Keuchel as a long guy out of the pen, only letting him go through the line up 1 time... that leaves me 2 spots: Lopez should easily have a spot, then you could make the 26th man Romy Gonzalez for the versatility of playing everywhere. 

c - Grandal

1b - Abreu

2b - Hernandez

3b - Moncada

ss - TA

lf - Eloy

cf - Robert

rf - Garcia

dh - Sheets

bench - Yermin, Romy, Collins, Hamilton, Engel

sp - Giolito, Lynn, Rodon, Cease

mr - keuchel, lopez, tapera, crochet

rp - hendricks, kimbrel, kopech, bummer, 

That gives you 8 solid relief pitchers, which should be more than enough for a 5 game series, plus 5 hitters off the bench in an AL series is more than enough! 

10 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

I would rather have Yermin as our 26th guy over a guy like Goodwin. I have more belief that we will need a PHer late in a game rather than a guy to play a position for multiple innings. I think Yermin gives us the best hitter to come off the bench of all our bench guys. I like Hamilton on the team to be a pinch runner late in a game that we desperately need a run. Then you have your starters: Grandal, Abreu, Hernandez, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Robert, Garcia, Sheets, Giolito, Lynn, Rodon, Cease, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Bummer, Kopech, Tapera, Crochet. That puts me at 21. Collins, Vaughn for sure. Keuchel as a long guy out of the pen, only letting him go through the line up 1 time... that leaves me 2 spots: Lopez should easily have a spot, then you could make the 26th man Romy Gonzalez for the versatility of playing everywhere. 

c - Grandal

1b - Abreu

2b - Hernandez

3b - Moncada

ss - TA

lf - Eloy

cf - Robert

rf - Garcia

dh - Sheets

bench - Yermin, Romy, Collins, Hamilton, Engel

sp - Giolito, Lynn, Rodon, Cease

mr - keuchel, lopez, tapera, crochet

rp - hendricks, kimbrel, kopech, bummer, 

That gives you 8 solid relief pitchers, which should be more than enough for a 5 game series, plus 5 hitters off the bench in an AL series is more than enough! 

Yermin hasn't played since September 16th, and is currently on Charlottes temporary inactive list as of September 23rd.  Not exactly sure what that means, but chances are he did something stupid.  Suffice it to say, Yermin isn't an option.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yermin hasn't played since September 16th, and is currently on Charlottes temporary inactive list as of September 23rd.  Not exactly sure what that means, but chances are he did something stupid.  Suffice it to say, Yermin isn't an option.

Let's get him a ring anyway.