ALDS Playoff Roster Discussion

South Side Hit Men

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They are skipping Rodon this weekend. Wonder if they keep him off the ALDS roster if he shows little in any side sessions he is able to throw.

Surprised they are not retroactively placing him on the IL to get bullpen help for the final four games, unless they plan on him coming in for an inning or two out of the bullpen.

Huh? He's pitching tonight. 

• Haha 1

This would be my ALDS roster:

OF (5): Jimenez, Robert, Engel, Vaughn, Hamilton

IF/DH (7): Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, Sheets, Hernandez, Gonzalez

C (2): Grandal, Collins

SP (4): Giolito, Lynn, Cease, Rodon

RP (8): Hendriks, Kimbrel, Tepera, Kopech, Lopez, Bummer, Crochet, Keuchel

I considered Burger as a pinch hitter option, but with Sheets and Collins being the only straight lefty bats, there really aren't going to be pinch hitting opportunities, and he definitely isn't going to be a defensive replacement. Romy gives you a safety net at the middle infield that really only has 3 other guys who can play SS and/or 2B. In a short series, a 9th reliever really isn't necessary. I would definitely consider Burger for that last bench spot in the World Series when pinch hitting will be more common.

I know Keuchel pretty much sucks at this point, but your other options are Burr and Ruiz who aren't high leverage options either so I went with the guy who has experience and can eat innings.

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

This would be my ALDS roster:

OF (5): Jimenez, Robert, Engel, Vaughn, Hamilton

IF/DH (7): Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, Sheets, Hernandez, Gonzalez

C (2): Grandal, Collins

SP (4): Giolito, Lynn, Cease, Rodon

RP (8): Hendriks, Kimbrel, Tepera, Kopech, Lopez, Bummer, Crochet, Keuchel

I hope this is what we see, with Keuchel as break glass in case of emergency mop up duty only.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am guessing this has a lot to do with how guys like Lynn, Rodon, Marshall and Tepera are feeling after this week.

Well in general it's like the NFL injury report - no need to tell your opponent those details until it's required.

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think this is a smokescreen. I think they know that Giolito is better able to pitch twice in the series but just aren't announcing until they have to.

Either is able to pitch Game 5 on regular rest. They just don’t want to announce anything until they’re forced to.