9/28 Reds @ Sox 7:10PM CT

Tnetennba

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Unless Vaughn can turn it around in the last few games, I think you are right about platooning him at DH with Sheets.  Not a bad plan.   

Vaughn or Sheets could make the difference in a play-off game with a key shot off a pitcher who thinks they just got through the heart of the order and can let up some.

I'd personally just run Vaughn out there over Sheets, platoon be damned.  But we'll see.  

• Like 1

If you assume Sheets as DH vs RHP and Engel is not available, then you either have Leury in RF and Cesar at 2B or Leury at 2B and Cesar in RF. Unless Vaughn gets hot this last week, I'll go with the former.

Against LHP, you have Vaughn at DH, Leury in RF and Cesar at 2B. If Engel comes back, he can push Leury to 2B and Cesar out of the lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Do we really think further expansion is going to happen?  That would be so awful.  I hated the 2nd wild card, and have at least come around to that.  But adding another 2 teams would be TURRRRRRIIBBBBLLLLLEEEEE

I will take the MLB's craziness and up the ante. If they add two more teams then I say after 81 games the top 16 teams "make the cut" and vie for 4 playoff spots. The bottom 16 battle eachother with the best records getting the top draft positions. Everyone has something to play for all summer long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flavum said:

…and why they shouldn’t expand the playoffs.  These games matter, and if they went to 8 in each league permanently, they’d be ignored. 

Well, if they allow the first two teams in each division in, 77-79 Cleveland is in, and the incredible AL race is down to Oakland @ Seattle, two teams which shouldn't even be in the playoffs, and there would be no legitimate NL race for about two weeks.

If you turn the season into a 100, 154, 162 or whatever exhibition season to add a couple dozen playoff games, you cheapen the product to the point that you lose long term revenue because it will accelerate the loss of fans (attendance and TV) and you won't come close to making it up with the added TV playoff revenue. Owners don't give a shit, because they have been running the sport like Phillip Morris for four decades at this point. May as well have a 40 game schedule, 20 Cubs @ White Sox , 20 White Sox @ Cubs, followed by playoffs. It's all meaningless anyway.

• Like 1

I would say I'm shocked that Abreu is in after seeing his arm/elbow black and blue after a HBP yesterday, but I would be lying. Dude is a warrior, albeit very stubborn. 

Wished TLR would just tell him "look I know you want to play, but I'm giving you tonight off to get that swelling down". 

Edited by SoxAce