Is ReyLo back in consideration for the starting rotation next season?

ron883

SUre.  I mean Kopech will likely get the spot but I don't see any harm in letting Kopech at least compete with him for that spot. I don't see them getting rid of Keuchel either.  

Likely:

GIo

Lynn

Cease

Keuchel

Kopech/ReyLo

Could also see them using six starters next year (ala 2011) and ReyLo would definitely be a sixth starter.

• Like 1

Just now, turnin' two said:

I think yes. 

He has been really good.  Who knows, maybe something has clicked.  And while it isn't a huge sample size for this year, it isn't miniscule anymore either.  His BB/9 has been an astounding improvement.  He is attacking, and trusting his stuff, which looks great.  

Even when he had that crappy start against the Angels, he still struck out 7.  Was more just bad D and some bad luck but the stuff was good.

20 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think yes. 

He has been really good.  Who knows, maybe something has clicked.  And while it isn't a huge sample size for this year, it isn't miniscule anymore either.  His BB/9 has been an astounding improvement.  He is attacking, and trusting his stuff, which looks great.  

But he's not throwing more strikes.

His zone percentage is actually below where it was in 2019 and he's not really generating more swings and misses. He's had a cupcake schedule in terms of his match-ups and been put in a perfect position to perform a little better. His BABIP against is 213 which is really what is driving his success for the most part; that and the walk rate decline, but it doesn't seem that his walk rate improvement is sustainable. He's getting quite a few more swings outside the zone, but I'm not sure how long that will really last, and he's getting fewer swings on pitches in the zone.

Rolling into next year with Reylo as your 5th starter would be a bad idea IMO; I think he can be depth for the rotation but he shouldn't be counted on.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His zone percentage is actually below where it was in 2019 and he's not really generating more swings and misses. He's had a cupcake schedule in terms of his match-ups and been put in a perfect position to perform a little better. His BABIP against is 213 which is really what is driving his success for the most part; that and the walk rate decline, but it doesn't seem that his walk rate improvement is sustainable. He's getting quite a few more swings outside the zone, but I'm not sure how long that will really last, and he's getting fewer swings on pitches in the zone.

Rolling into next year with Reylo as your 5th starter would be a bad idea IMO; I think he can be depth for the rotation but he shouldn't be counted on.

Shit I didn't know Ray would disagree with me.  I'm just gonna go with what he says.

1 minute ago, Colome's Hat said:

Did anyone read about the key to ReyLo's breakthrough?  Apparently he had eye surgery.  Apparently he had blurred vision or something and it was so bad he couldn't actually tell what signs the catchers were putting down.

yet he had that surgery before the AAA season started and got lit up like a pinata.

The key to his success has mostly been driven by facing bad teams, having a low BABIP, and getting more swings on pitches out of the zone; I won't say he's not more competitive around the zone which has helped with that, but I don't find that to be very sustainable.

His slider velocity increase is really the only thing I see on his profile that is really compelling; likely tighter spin and more difficult to pick up. He likely still sucks.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sorry for presenting statistics to the discussion. We'll just go off your surface level thoughts instead!

I get it, you're really smart.  And I'm not.  I don't want to feel like a dufus, so I'm just gonna stay with the basics that my brain can comprehend.

He has pitched better.  He has looked better.  He has allowed fewer hits and fewer walks.  He is striking out a decent amount of dudes.  I'm not saying he should start opening day.  I'm saying he deserves consideration.  This was make or break year for him.  He rose to the occasion.  Tip of the cap to him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

yet he had that surgery before the AAA season started and got lit up like a pinata.

The key to his success has mostly been driven by facing bad teams, having a low BABIP, and getting more swings on pitches out of the zone; I won't say he's not more competitive around the zone which has helped with that, but I don't find that to be very sustainable.

His slider velocity increase is really the only thing I see on his profile that is really compelling; likely tighter spin and more difficult to pick up. He likely still sucks.

Boy, he has gotten more guys to swing at his pitches that aren't strikes????? What a bum!

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All of which means hitters are having a more difficulty recognizing his pitches, which of course is a sign that he has tweaked his release for the better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Good points, but I can't think of a season where we haven't needed an occasional sixth starter for any number of reasons. Cupcake schedule or not, having a 6th starter capable of giving us wins against MLB teams - even teams like Baltimore or Arizona - is an asset I definitely want to employ.  I slot Reylo in the long relief/spot start role, Kopech in the bullpen, and if Keuchel continues to implode I'd rather go with trying to tweak Reylo's upside than Keuchel who can't miss any bats at all. 

8 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Did anyone read about the key to ReyLo's breakthrough?  Apparently he had eye surgery.  Apparently he had blurred vision or something and it was so bad he couldn't actually tell what signs the catchers were putting down.

EWhen because he was horrid in AAA