10/1 Tigers @ Sox 7:10PM CT

Tnetennba

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Detroit Tigers are the only division rival the White Sox have a all time losing record against (1087-1111), time to chip away at those 24 games this weekend!

That's interesting considering how many times the others have won the division. 

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Detroit Tigers are the only division rival the White Sox have a all time losing record against (1087-1111), time to chip away at those 24 games this weekend!

It's not surprising that the Sox have winning records against the Royals and Twins as their .502 career franchise win % far outpaces the .480 and .479 from those teams.

It is surprising that the Sox have a winning record against Cleveland and their .512 all-time win %.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I'm just glad the cubs and Padres a re not in the playoffs.  Now to hope the Red Sox and Blue jays are knocked out then Yankees Tuesday.  Then maybe the media will focus on the White Sox. 

It has been fun reading comments from people in other baseball communities that know next to nothing about our club

38 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

It has been fun reading comments from people in other baseball communities that know next to nothing about our club

I was at a dinner with some acquaintances here downstate. Cardinals fans of course. One said that if they could get past the wildcard they should have a really good shot at the World Series and that he knew they always had the talent this year but just had to put it together - and mentioned how their outfied could well be the best in baseball in a couple years.

I always thought the Cards were pretty meh this year but whatever.

He brought up the White Sox. Said he would love to see a WS between them and the Cards but kind of doubted the Sox had what it takes yet.

Ok...

Edited by SpringfieldFan

22 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

I was at a dinner with some acquaintances here downstate. Cardinals fans of course. One said that if they could get past the wildcard they should have a really good shot at the World Series and that he knew they always had the talent this year but just had to put it together - and mentioned how their outfied could well be the best in baseball in a couple years.

He brought up the White Sox. Said he would love to see a WS between them and the Cards but kind of doubted the Sox had what it takes yet.

Ok...

Just now, a kid in my biology class asked me if the sox were making the playoffs. I live in Cardinal country, downstate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Just now, a kid in my biology class asked me if the sox were making the playoffs. I live in Cardinal country, downstate.

I get this a lot from casual fans.  Sox fandom and Chicago sports media don't do the Sox any favors in this respect.  There's a disproportionate amount of doom and gloom about the fine details of the Sox season as compared to acknowledgment of the obvious fact that the Sox are really good.  I'm guilty of it myself.  It's been a whole lot of "Ugh, Tony LaRussa"  and "Ugh, injuries" and "Ugh, Yermin Mercedes is fighting TLR" -- and not as much "the Sox are one of the best teams in the American League."   Die-hards take it for granted that the team is super talented and winning ballgames, but if you weren't paying attention you could be forgiven for thinking the Sox were having a disappointing season rather than blowing away their division.  It's just something in the character of the organization and fanbase that I've come to accept, and that I vacillate between respecting and loathing depending on my mood.  Sometimes I wish we could "keep it in the family" a little more, and be more rah-rah with the rest of the world given the respect deficit we already experience.

By comparison (because comparison is inevitable in a two-team town), there's been more happy-go-lucky casual fan energy about the last few middling Cubs seasons--even as it was obvious to knowledgeable fans that their contention window was slamming shut much faster than expected--than there has been about the Sox rebuild taking off with a bullet.  I've run into lots of folks who don't even know the Sox are better than the Cubs *this season* (though that did change a lot with the mass departures of the Cubs star players.)

Sports media is the Bears and cubs then the rest.  The Bears coverage is nauseating as they are bad and sports talk radio fills every moment up on different people covering the Bears telling us how bad they are in different ways.

They pretend any of what is happening is not obvious and as such is news worthy.  

2 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Ok...

Springfield cardinal fans dont follow anyone but the cardinals. In the last 10 years of living here i have only had good baseball conversation with royal fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I get this a lot from casual fans.  Sox fandom and Chicago sports media don't do the Sox any favors in this respect.  There's a disproportionate amount of doom and gloom about the fine details of the Sox season as compared to acknowledgment of the obvious fact that the Sox are really good.  I'm guilty of it myself.  It's been a whole lot of "Ugh, Tony LaRussa"  and "Ugh, injuries" and "Ugh, Yermin Mercedes is fighting TLR" -- and not as much "the Sox are one of the best teams in the American League."   Die-hards take it for granted that the team is super talented and winning ballgames, but if you weren't paying attention you could be forgiven for thinking the Sox were having a disappointing season rather than blowing away their division.  It's just something in the character of the organization and fanbase that I've come to accept, and that I vacillate between respecting and loathing depending on my mood.  Sometimes I wish we could "keep it in the family" a little more, and be more rah-rah with the rest of the world given the respect deficit we already experience.

By comparison (because comparison is inevitable in a two-team town), there's been more happy-go-lucky casual fan energy about the last few middling Cubs seasons--even as it was obvious to knowledgeable fans that their contention window was slamming shut much faster than expected--than there has been about the Sox rebuild taking off with a bullet.  I've run into lots of folks who don't even know the Sox are better than the Cubs *this season* (though that did change a lot with the mass departures of the Cubs star players.)

Don't say this to the media. They deny it and say everyone gets equal time and is treated equally.