Should Leury Garcia start over Hernandez at 2nd base vs. Stros ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Post All Star break his hitting stats are worse than Hernandez so that's a bigger sample size.I'd say if Vaughn see any AB's it will be against LHP at DH only if Engel can start every game in RF. I understand Vaughn gets a lot of rope around here because of what he may become but currently his role is very limited.

Remember all the people here who said Vaughn had to play all of the time in LF with Eloy DHing ? Remember all the people who said Vaughn had to play every day no matter what ? Let's face it, he has received the benefit of the doubt all season because of the lack of quality options in the OF and criticism of him has met with scorn but right now he has issues and if he gets any playing time before the season ends he has to show something. He needs to start being treated like any other player with limited OF defensive skills and in a huge slump. He's had one great month and that was July.

I'm not sure how to get 2nd half stats against LHP only . Maybe that would paint a more favorable picture of Vaughn's hitting.

I mean, I am one of those people.  Vaughn is a better LF than Eloy, and he's not a danger to himself and Luis out there.  Eloy has been serviceable in LF this season, to be sure, but I still think he should be the DH moving forward. 

I also still think Vaughn should be playing more than he has when he's been on active roster.  But for the playoffs, gotta line em up with who is hottest, and Gavin is certainly a better option against RHP than Vaughn right now.  So he's going to get those at bats. 

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If Engel is healthy, I start Leury at 2B.  I would put Engel's glove above Cesar's and both aren't good at the plate, so I'd rather not start two poor hitters in the post season.

Engel's hitting stats the last 2 years he has about an .820 OPS and 122 OPS+ . I know its only about 200 AB's combined but that's good.

• Like 1

Vaughn reminds me of Dayan Viciedo in a couple of ways - he hits a lot of hard line drives, has decent power potential, and is somewhat of a tank already at 23 years old. As things stand, Vaughn is too slow to be an everyday outfielder. If he can work on his lower torso and legs in the off-season, he might get faster, but I'm not sure that is possible.  Sox will give him another year or two to develop but Vaughn  will have more competition  moving forward with Colas and Cespedes along with Sheets competing for roster spots and playing time.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, tray said:

Vaughn reminds me of Dayan Viciedo in a couple of ways - he hits a lot of hard line drives, has decent power potential, and is somewhat of a tank already at 23 years old. As things stand, Vaughn is too slow to be an everyday outfielder. If he can work on his lower torso and legs in the off-season, he might get faster, but I'm not sure that is possible.  Sox will give him another year or two to develop but Vaughn  will have more competition  moving forward with Colas and Cespedes along with Sheets competing for roster spots and playing time.

Cespedes, who is an AA ball and Colas, who isn't even in the org yet and is kind of a big guy himself? (I know he slimmed down a lot during COVID but pre-COVID he was kind of a bigger guy).

2 hours ago, tray said:

Weren't you just the guy yesterday who called it creepy to complain about the same person over and over?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, tray said:

Vaughn is a more than serviceable OF.  its amazing to say that considering he had never played it, but he is.  Will he be in 5 years?  Who knows.  But he certainly is right now.  

Vaughn is cornerstone of this team and will be for a long time.  Posts like this are going to look comical AF in a year or two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, it's not Leury v Cesar but it's more Cesar V Engel.  Yeah, that doesn't make sense but if we all agree that Leury needs to be in the lineup and if Leury can play every position on the field, the comparison than comes between two spots Leury can play.  Cesar over his last 15 games is hitting .255.  And over his last seven is .261.  It's not great but Engel over his last 15 games is htting .229 and over his last 7, .182.  

For me it's pretty obvious.  You start Cesar at 2nd Base and put Leury in RF.

14 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

For me, it's not Leury v Cesar but it's more Cesar V Engel.  Yeah, that doesn't make sense but if we all agree that Leury needs to be in the lineup and if Leury can play every position on the field, the comparison than comes between two spots Leury can play.  Cesar over his last 15 games is hitting .255.  And over his last seven is .261.  It's not great but Engel over his last 15 games is htting .229 and over his last 7, .182.  

For me it's pretty obvious.  You start Cesar at 2nd Base and put Leury in RF.

It 100% makes sense. Leury is one of the 9 best hitters on the team right now so he needs to be in the lineup. It's just a matter of whether you put him at 2B or RF.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, Marqhead said:

I know it hasn't been there for us, but I like the potential for more pop from Cesar in the lineup. I'm fine with him batting 9th. 

I prefer Leury as a super-sub off the bench.

This is the way. Cesar can get hot and give you a bomb out of the 9 spot. He is fine as a 9 hitter for me. Leury needs to be that super sub bench bat every playoff team has. 

36 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is the way. Cesar can get hot and give you a bomb out of the 9 spot. He is fine as a 9 hitter for me. Leury needs to be that super sub bench bat every playoff team has. 

The only guy Leury is hitting for is Cesar. He’s glued to the bench unless we’re talking late inning running/defense and Billy is the obvious choice there. We have 2 series to win before NL park games. 

Leury, quite simply, is better than Cesar right now. Leury is my 2B, but I think Cesar gets a couple NLDS Starts with Leury in RF, which is totally fine.