Should we trade for Machado

bmags

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Machado's best years of that contract, the first three, are now behind him.  He is only being traded as a salary dump.

Harper seems better and it is staggering how the Phillies cannot win. 

Harper was always going to age more gracefully because of his elite plate discipline. 

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

LOL WHAAAAAA.  I think the Padres would hand Machado over for nothing more than salary relief (ie: eating whole remaining contract).  And there wouldn't be any takers.  

Of course there would be.. The Mets gave up Kelenic for Cano.. Machado is far better than what Cano was.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Of course there would be.. The Mets gave up Kelenic for Cano.. Machado is far better than what Cano was.

That trade also included Edwin Diaz, who was probably the best reliever in the AL in 2018. And Seattle gave the Mets $20 million. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeppp.  Machado has 0 surplus value.  Which is generally the case when star players sign mega contracts.  Its just the way it works.  

Truth be told, Machado would have been super neat a few years ago.  But the ship has sailed.  Even if the Padres were willing to eat 1/3 of his remaining deal for nothing more than back-end 40 man types, I don't even know if its wroth it.  Just sign a RF and 2B with the money (realistically, quite a bit less) and ball out the next 3-4 years with the best roster in the game.  

Or make the trade for backend 40 man types, and have the guaranteed best roster in the game.  Plug and playing RF and 2B has been a disaster for 15 years

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Or make the trade for backend 40 man types, and have the guaranteed best roster in the game.  Plug and playing RF and 2B has been a disaster for 15 years

I didn't say plug and play RF/2B.  I said use the $225M you'd be paying Machado to play out of position (or move Moncada out of position), and just sign a legit RF and 2B for less.  Ideally guys who hit left handed and get on base at a high clip, two things Manny doesn't do, or isn't' his strong point. 

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

yeah. But one was 35, one is 28.    I'd much rather take the 7/224 still in prime 28 year old than the 5/120 35 year old.. Who wouldn't?

The 29 other clubs that didn't beat the 10/$300M offer on Machado 3 years ago.  

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The question is if his contract is tradeable, and I gave an example of a worse contract that indeed got traded for a good prospect, not backend scrubs (Lopez).

And one of the best relievers in baseball, and $20M (on half as much due), and picking up a garbage contract.  So yeah....no exactly the same.

Machado is tradable.  But not without Padres eating significant $, or offsetting in some other way.  Much like this deal you're point to. 

Arenado deal is a much better comp. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Manny is not a "clubhouse cancer" in this clubhouse. He'd immediately be under the wings of Jose.

yeah, i bet the dodgers thought that also. Consider this as well. take on Manny's salary and we prolly can't extend guys like robert, moncada, T.A,, Cease, etc.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

The other really fun thing is I can't imagine a worse offseason to try and need to offload Manny, from the abundance of elite MI talent to the CBA. Truly a hilarious situation, I am cackling. 

No where in the article does it say the Padres have any desire to move Machado and the entire excerpt was the author speculating on a path the Padres could consider taking if they chose not to continue pushing all in, despite ownership and Preller not showing any indication of wanting to do so. The author also goes on to state that being forced to move someone like Machado, if a reset was wanted, would likely be needed because they can't unload Meyers/Hosmer for anything of value.

So outside the Padres being a massive failure for ignoring roster building (as the article implies) I'm not sure why it's hilarious or anything, given that it's not even something that is being speculated or implied as expected to occur.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No where in the article does it say the Padres have any desire to move Machado and the entire excerpt was the author speculating on a path the Padres could consider taking if they chose not to continue pushing all in, despite ownership and Preller not showing any indication of wanting to do so. The author also goes on to state that being forced to move someone like Machado, if a reset was wanted, would likely be needed because they can't unload Meyers/Hosmer for anything of value.

So I have no idea why it's hilarious or anything, given that it's not even something that is being speculated or implied as expected to occur.

confused-jaguarsfan.gif