Should we trade for Machado

bmags

Moncada also has the same WAR that Machado has this season (Moncada had a higher WAR in 2019, and a lower WAR in 2020).   And the poster is right - Machado DOES bring some dog-and-pony show with him; heck the Sox bought into that when they were trading for his buddies as enticements for him to sign.  Let Preller  stew in his own <.500 mess.

Sox need a 2B and RF - but the big need is starting pitching; they are down 2 going into next season and  even if both Crochet and Kopech seamlessly slide over, they will need some depth.

20 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

If you say so.
Yeah the $320 million/10 year man has really led the Padres to some great things this year. And that with Tatis in the lineup. Machado is an albatross to any but the highest budget team - and even the Dodgers didn't pursue him once they got a sample of his game.

Gotta love that OPS+ and glove though...

So by that logic, you think that Mike Trout sucks  too? Bryce Harper, the other mega free agent in 18, lead a Phillies team that just collapsed, I guess he’s ass too.

Machado is a winner and is one of the most consistent players in the game. I think he’s still a top ten/twelve guy.

You probably don’t watch the guy play often if at all but Manny Machado hustles his ass off. Always taking the extra base and driving into the dirt for ball hit his way. He’s also a very heads up player.

Kudos to him for holding Tatis accountable for when they had their altercation. Not a lot of people would've done that.

Machado was always going to be a temporary fill in for the Dodgers as Corey Seager was out in 2018. They were never going to be in the market for Machado with a healthy Seaver and Justin Turner under contract. That’s just redundant.

Again, your take is extremely dumb. Please watch more games and get over him not wanting to accept the Sox’s shitty offer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

So by that logic, you think that Mike Trout sucks  too? Bryce Harper, the other mega free agent in 18, lead a Phillies team that just collapsed, I guess he’s ass too.

Machado is a winner and is one of the most consistent players in the game. I think he’s still a top ten/twelve guy.

You probably don’t watch the guy play often if at all but Manny Machado hustles his ass off. Always taking the extra base and driving into the dirt for ball hit his way. He’s also a very heads up player.

Kudos to him for holding Tatis accountable for when they had their altercation. Not a lot of people would've done that.

Machado was always going to be a temporary fill in for the Dodgers as Corey Seager was out in 2018. They were never going to be in the market for Machado with a healthy Seaver and Justin Turner under contract. And every owner has the money to afford a $30M player, even the ones that cry poor.  

Again, your take is extremely dumb. Please watch more games and get over him not wanting to accept the Sox’s shitty offer. 

On 10/3/2021 at 9:02 AM, GreenSox said:

Moncada also has the same WAR that Machado has this season (Moncada had a higher WAR in 2019, and a lower WAR in 2020).   And the poster is right - Machado DOES bring some dog-and-pony show with him; heck the Sox bought into that when they were trading for his buddies as enticements for him to sign.  Let Preller  stew in his own <.500 mess.

Sox need a 2B and RF - but the big need is starting pitching; they are down 2 going into next season and  even if both Crochet and Kopech seamlessly slide over, they will need some depth.

that just goes to show how fWAR is an extremely misleading stat, how the fuck does Moncada even approach Machado in WAR when looking at their numbers, and Machado also has a 10point advantage in fPCT as well (and 2 less errors in 10 more games played)

the *only* reason anyone wouldn't want Machado over Moncada is because of the contract

Edited by joesaiditstrue
would = wouldn't

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

"So by that logic, you think that Mike Trout sucks  too? Bryce Harper, the other mega free agent in 18, lead a Phillies team that just collapsed, I guess he’s ass too."

I stated elsewhere that IMO Trout is a different kind of player and presents a different case to a team. As for Reynolds (or Betts or whoever), I don't see that with the 40 man roster as is and the Sox' status as a mid-market team, that the Sox need to buy into ANY mega-bucks/year FA.

"You probably don’t watch the guy play often if at all but Manny Machado hustles his ass off. Always taking the extra base and driving into the dirt for ball hit his way. He’s also a very heads up player."

I've seen him play often enough to evaluate him as a showboat/prima dona that may or may not fit into the mix (synergy if you will), of a given team. Mag Ordonez was a first class hitter yet Guillen, in particular, had little use for him as playing a significant role on a winning team. Ordonez was not on the 2005 roster as I recall.  Going back further, Pete Rose was as abrasive as it gets and by all accounts, could be a loose cannon from the clubhouse to the dugout to the field. In at least some ways, evaluating Rose's time with the Phillies is more representative of his maturity as a player than his Reds years. It's been said that he recognized Mike Schmidt's primacy as the center of the team and adjusted his game and presence accordingly. In the Phillies case (and to a lesser extent Montreal), it worked - but would it have worked elsewhere?

"Machado was always going to be a temporary fill in for the Dodgers as Corey Seager was out in 2018. They were never going to be in the market for Machado with a healthy Seaver and Justin Turner under contract. That’s just redundant."

You know this for a fact? Turner couldn't stay on the field for a complete season due to health reasons. Seager's longevity at short has always been in question (Cal Ripken's prospects at short were too, but that's beside the point.) The Dodgers bought into Machado for an audition and passed when said audition came to a close  and contract time came up.  

"Again, your take is extremely dumb. Please watch more games and get over him not wanting to accept the Sox’s shitty offer."

Simplistic ad hominems aside, I didn't like the idea of the Sox pursuing Machado or Harper at the time or even now. Albert Pujols is one of my favorite players of the 21st Century, but there is no way I'd make the deal with him that the Angles did. That would be uhhhhh errrrrr extremely dumb.
Have a great Sox day!

Edited by FoxForce2

1 hour ago, FoxForce2 said:

The Sox are not a mid market team, stop buying into that crap.

How is Machado a prima Donna?

The Dodgers traded for Machado because they were trying to win a Championship. History shows that renting superstars is always a worthwhile investment for the buying team. Again, he was never a long term match for them with Seaver, Turner and Taylor. Also the Dodgers have largely avoided massive contracts under Friedman. Betts is the only one, they’ve handed out. I’m not sure that they’ll pay Seager this winter. 

I’d be for it. You never know how long our quality window will be no matter how good it looks now. Trading for machado could be a way to get off hook for keuchels contract. He just may be close to useless next two years. It’d be poor for us long term probably but please max out this window us my desire. Keuchel for wil Myers makes some sense as well with very similar contracts. Thoughts? 

12 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

what market does your quoting skills play in, oof.

Evidently, a market site that is advanced enough to post a simple copy-paste of an addy without mixing it up with a following link. Shift-Return works just fine as a divider on most sites.   

On 10/1/2021 at 1:33 PM, ChiSox59 said:

LOL WHAAAAAA.  I think the Padres would hand Machado over for nothing more than salary relief (ie: eating whole remaining contract).  And there wouldn't be any takers.  

Find Shields and send him back....

If they got Manny, Yo-Yo goes back to second.

That would be a formidable infield.