Should we trade for Machado

bmags

What would a deal even look like? He's got 2 years until his opt-out (which I doubt he takes) and 5 seasons after that, all at $32m/year. Assuming you take on most or all of that money, what would you even give in return? Padres already have a solid system and really would want a major league ready return to plug other holes, I'd imagine. Would that even be worth it?

3 minutes ago, almagest said:

What would a deal even look like? He's got 2 years until his opt-out (which I doubt he takes) and 5 seasons after that, all at $32m/year. Assuming you take on most or all of that money, what would you even give in return? Padres already have a solid system and really would want a major league ready return to plug other holes, I'd imagine. Would that even be worth it?

My guess is, and I'm NOT saying I'd do this, is they'd ask for Crochet or Kopech as main piece. 

• Haha 2

No, that cancer is not worth the $$$, prospects it would take to get him, or the headache. He is a 3b/ss by trade and could prolly handle 2b but would he be amenably to playing it...doubtful. Our largest money fix for next year should be replacing Rodon...or Rodon himself.

2 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

My guess is, and I'm NOT saying I'd do this, is they'd ask for Crochet or Kopech as main piece. 

If you wouldn't do Crochet for Manny straight up as a Sox fan you're on crazy pills. I like Crochet quite a bit, but he's 50/50 at best to ever pitch more than 100 innings in a season.  Kopech is a totally different animal he has potential to be a top 10 starter in baseball starting next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, SoxFan562004 said:

The Arenado deal was one tolerable big leaguer and 4 minor league pieces, only 1 of whom was in the Cardinals top 10 at the time. A comparable deal for the White Sox would be something like Lopez + one of the international signing guys who had moderate success (Ramos or Rodriguez) and a couple of filler pieces.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If you wouldn't do Crochet for Manny straight up as a Sox fan you're on crazy pills. I like Crochet quite a bit, but he's 50/50 at best to ever pitch more than 100 innings in a season.  Kopech is a totally different animal he has potential to be a top 10 starter in baseball starting next year.

I would not do Crochet straight up for him with that contract even after the way they used him this year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would not do Crochet straight up for him with that contract even after the way they used him this year.

Trading for Manny would signal the Sox are serious about being a top 8 payroll over this next 5 year window so I'd have zero problems with it. There's not many 5 WAR players available.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Trading for Manny would signal the Sox are serious about being a top 8 payroll over this next 5 year window so I'd have zero problems with it. There's not many 5 WAR players available.

I didn't say I wouldn't trade for him (pending the CBA), but I would not give up noticeably more talent for him than the Cardinals gave up for Arenado when Machado makes quite a bit more money.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sure if you were trading in a fantasy league. In Reality, you might not do the trade because Machado is a clubhouse cancer and the sox currently don't need a 3b, or ss. Sure their is no argument that Machado is a better player then crochet. 

2 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Sure if you were trading in a fantasy league. In Reality, you might not do the trade because Machado is a clubhouse cancer and the sox currently don't need a 3b, or ss. Sure their is no argument that Machado is a better player then crochet. 

Manny is not a "clubhouse cancer" in this clubhouse. He'd immediately be under the wings of Jose.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

LOL WHAAAAAA.  I think the Padres would hand Machado over for nothing more than salary relief (ie: eating whole remaining contract).  And there wouldn't be any takers.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Ever player is trade-able. Always.

Yeah, he's for sure tradable.  If the acquiring teams is willing to eat most or all his contract.  And the Padres would gladly oblige. 

I was all for Manny.  I'd still take him for sure, if the Padres pro-rated his deal by about 40%.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

LOL WHAAAAAA.  I think the Padres would hand Machado over for nothing more than salary relief (ie: eating whole remaining contract).  And there wouldn't be any takers.  

What the Rockies got for Arenado is basically the best the Padres can hope for in return for Machado. They also had to eat $50 million to get that return, so you're probably right. 

• Like 3

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, he's for sure tradable.  If the acquiring teams is willing to eat most or all his contract.  And the Padres would gladly oblige. 

I was all for Manny.  I'd still take him for sure, if the Padres pro-rated his deal by about 40%.  

How much cash do you need to eat for the Rockstar GM to throw in a prospect / what caliber?

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What the Rockies got for Arenado is basically the best the Padres can hope for in return for Machado. They also had to eat $50 million to get that return, so you're probably right. 

Yeppp.  Machado has 0 surplus value.  Which is generally the case when star players sign mega contracts.  Its just the way it works.  

Truth be told, Machado would have been super neat a few years ago.  But the ship has sailed.  Even if the Padres were willing to eat 1/3 of his remaining deal for nothing more than back-end 40 man types, I don't even know if its wroth it.  Just sign a RF and 2B with the money (realistically, quite a bit less) and ball out the next 3-4 years with the best roster in the game.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2