Marshall/Rodon info coming soon

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

exactly. Imagine thinking TLR is stupid for not letting them know who to prepare for, man we have some dumb takes here.

prepare for?  How much film room do you really think our guys/their guys go through?  Can't be weeks worth on each pitcher.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

exactly. Imagine thinking TLR is stupid for not letting them know who to prepare for, man we have some dumb takes here.

I expect Rodon and Kopech will combine for 6-7 innings which is no surprise.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

prepare for?  How much film room do you really think our guys/their guys go through?  Can't be weeks worth on each pitcher.

During the regular season, the team's advance scouts usually scout the opponent a week before they play them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

yeah, Houston has no idea what pitchers are going to throw. It's top secret. Heard Black Jack might be coming out of retirement.

Serious question, do you think you go into the series differently as the Astros if Lynn goes game 1 instead of Giolito?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

During the regular season, the team's advance scouts usually scout the opponent a week before they play them.

Regular season is over. Advance scouts scout based on all pitchers in a rotation. The scouting report on the guys the Sox are pitching is out. The order of which they pitch is entirely meaningless. The Sox aren't going to be throwing some unknown arm out there. The Astros aren't going to prepare differently for the series based on the order the White Sox decide to throw their pitchers.

I've got no issue with LaRussa waiting - because who cares, honestly? - but playing this off as optimal strategy is comical. Nothing changes. The same guys are going to play. There are no secret weapons waiting in the wings that the Astros don't know about.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Regular season is over. Advance scouts scout based on all pitchers in a rotation. The scouting report on the guys the Sox are pitching is out. The order of which they pitch is entirely meaningless. The Sox aren't going to be throwing some unknown arm out there. The Astros aren't going to prepare differently for the series based on the order the White Sox decide to throw their pitchers.

I've got no issue with LaRussa waiting - because who cares, honestly? - but playing this off as optimal strategy is comical. Nothing changes. The same guys are going to play. There are no secret weapons waiting in the wings that the Astros don't know about.

You think they do absolutely no advanced preparation for the teams in the playoffs? I haven't actually been in the league in a few years but I doubt they ignore everything and say "it's the playoffs, we can't prepare anything, just wing it."

the scouting they did mid-season for these pitchers could very well be different from the way they pitched early in the year. I guarantee there is more scouting and preparation going on. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You think they do absolutely no advanced preparation for the teams in the playoffs? I haven't actually been in the league in a few years but I doubt they ignore everything and say "it's the playoffs, we can't prepare anything, just wing it."

the scouting they did mid-season for these pitchers could very well be different from the way they pitched early in the year. I guarantee there is more scouting and preparation going on. 

I'm not sure what you're asking. They're going to prepare for the pitchers they're going to face. The order they face them is pretty meaningless.

There are no games being played right now. The analysis of the data and information is being done for the series, not for the order the Sox chose to throw their guys. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

I think what is trying to be said is that Tony does have an advantage by not saying if Rodon or even Kuechel will be out.  If it is not announced, the Astros have to do some work on scouting/culling/analyzing/prepping etc ahead of time.  If they don't pitch or are ruled out later then that time and effort was wasted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. They're going to prepare for the pitchers they're going to face. The order they face them is pretty meaningless.

There are no games being played right now. The analysis of the data and information is being done for the series, not for the order the Sox chose to throw their guys. That's all I'm saying.

right and any advantage that a manger/coach thinks they can get over another team, they will take. If its withholding who may be the starting pitcher on a given day or for a series they will do. 

Also, the report on the pitchers may be quite a bit different then it was earlier so it may something new happening right now, so the manager isn't going to give them anymore information to work with. 

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do you want his social security number too?  I mean as old as he is, it is probably like five numbers.

There were just over 1 million Social Security beneficiaries (8-1-44) when Tony La Russa was born.

Today, there are just under 70 million beneficiaries.

41 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I think what is trying to be said is that Tony does have an advantage by not saying if Rodon or even Kuechel will be out.  If it is not announced, the Astros have to do some work on scouting/culling/analyzing/prepping etc ahead of time.  If they don't pitch or are ruled out later then that time and effort was wasted.

Do the Astros really need to prepare for keuchel? If anything we should say we're pitching Dallas in hopes of the Astros throwing a party and getting too hammered.

• Haha 1