10/2 Tigers @ Sox 6:10PM CT

Tnetennba

50 minutes ago, wegner said:

I wonder what the thinking is among the coaching staff about what they do with Kimbrel in the postseason?

Amazing people wanted Kimbrel to close over Hendriks. Hendriks is something special. Amazing. I don't love investing big in closers but man that was a great signing. He's just on another level.. he had some bad homer luck for a couple weeks but the guy doesn't give up base runners. Never walks anyone. He's everything you'd dream of with a reliever 

17 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Every team was missing their main guys for more than half the season? News to me.

I mean, there were multiple pieces written about lost WAR due to injuries this year. I think those pieces undersold the Sox a bit but the Sox weren't even in the top half of baseball in lost production.

Yankees and Toronto lost more and won similar amount of games with a tougher schedule. Every team had bad injuries this year. This wasn't a white Sox problem.

Sox rotation was, for the most part, really healthy.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Amazing people wanted Kimbrel to close over Hendriks. Hendriks is something special. Amazing. I don't love investing big in closers but man that was a great signing. He's just on another level.. he had some bad homer luck for a couple weeks but the guy doesn't give up base runners. Never walks anyone. He's everything you'd dream of with a reliever 

The argument here about who should be the closer was ridiculous.  I believe it had to do with Kimbrel being more comfortable in the closer role.  Kimbrel is no doubt one of the best ever for his career but at this time Liam is the better by far.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Unless he pitches tomorrow he's going to finish the year with 2.7 fWAR and 2.6 bWAR. That is the third highest fWAR total of any White Sox reliever in a single season since 1990. Behind only Roberto Hernandez in 1996 and Keith Foulke in 1999. And Hendriks got there despite pitching 15 innings less than Hernandez and 35 innings less than Foulke. I think it's probably the most dominant season for a modern reliever in White Sox history. His 2.33 FIP is also the lowest of any White Sox reliever in the modern era with at least 70 innings pitched. 

Hopefully he ages well, but the signing is working out real well so far. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Unless he pitches tomorrow he's going to finish the year with 2.7 fWAR and 2.6 bWAR. That is the third highest fWAR total of any White Sox reliever in a single season since 1990. Behind only Roberto Hernandez in 1996 and Keith Foulke in 1999. And Hendriks got there despite pitching 15 innings less than Hernandez and 35 innings less than Foulke. I think it's probably the most dominant season for a modern reliever in White Sox history. His 2.33 FIP is also the lowest of any White Sox reliever in the modern era with at least 70 innings pitched. 

Hopefully he ages well, but the signing is working out real well so far. 

And that's with 6 blown saves on the year

12 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And that's with 6 blown saves on the year

If you take out his 2 Yankees outings where he was clearly tipping his pitches, he's at a 1.81 ERA on the season with a 1.80 FIP. Those 2 games alone knocked him down something like 0.5 WAR. 

Edited by chw42

56 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean, there were multiple pieces written about lost WAR due to injuries this year. I think those pieces undersold the Sox a bit but the Sox weren't even in the top half of baseball in lost production.

Yankees and Toronto lost more and won similar amount of games with a tougher schedule. Every team had bad injuries this year. This wasn't a white Sox problem.

Sox rotation was, for the most part, really healthy.

Thus was very misleading though as the Sox didn't lose as much WAR because guys like yermin, sheets, Goodwin and others played above their expectations.  Very few 8f any teams lost 5-6 of their starting position players for at least a third of a year and 3 of them for half the year.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Thus was very misleading though as the Sox didn't lose as much WAR because guys like yermin, sheets, Goodwin and others played above their expectations.  Very few 8f any teams lost 5-6 of their starting position players for at least a third of a year and 3 of them for half the year.

That's not how the calculation worked. It wasn't against what they replaced. It was projected war lost from injured players. Safe to say robert projection was too low but the rest were reasonable