What If All 162 Games Always Were Played At the Same Time

YourWhatHurts

Would you think that baseball would be a better/more interesting sport if every game was played like Game 162, all at the same time?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you think that baseball would be a better/more interesting sport if every game was played like Game 162, all at the same time?

• Yes
    • No

I vote yes.  I think baseball would be awesome if all of the games occurred at the same time, always.  Yes I know about different time zones.  No, I don't care.  

Man that would be great.  I love Game 162.  Wish they would do this all of the time.  IMO it would make the season and the games seem shorter if like every game was within 3 innings of the other game.  Like now, everyone is in the 6th, 7th, or 8th.  I love it, and it's one of the few things outside of the Field of Dreams game which MLB has done that I actually really like.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Do they always do this for game 162 or is this new?

It's been this way for I think 3 years in a row at least.  This is so great though.  I mean, the games are so long as it is, and it's such a b**** to follow the league when like 40% of the games are day games, 60% night games, some East Coast night games and others West Coast night games, etc.  This format is such a huge breath of fresh air.

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

It's been this way for I think 3 years in a row at least.  This is so great though.  I mean, the games are so long as it is, and it's such a b**** to follow the league when like 40% of the games are day games, 60% night games, some East Coast night games and others West Coast night games, etc.  This format is such a huge breath of fresh air.

I do like it alot.

Are you talking every day of the 162-game season has all of the day's games played at the same time?

Terrible idea. That would kill the game. It would be so hard to watch baseball games of teams in other markets, meaning it would be harder for fans to be a fan of the game, learning about those other teams and players. Part of the fun of being a baseball fan is know that when your team isn't playing, someone else is.

The excitement of today's slate, flipping back and forth and having live cut-ins of the other scores, would be lost if they did this every day. Broadcasts wouldn't care about the other scoring updates on a random game 77 of the season played on a Tuesday.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don't see how you could do this on weekdays. For one thing, I don't the Cubs have a limit on how many night games they can play? That would mean an awful lot of weekday afternoon games for everybody.

I could see having a few Sundays during the season where you did this, but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't see how you could do this on weekdays. For one thing, I don't the Cubs have a limit on how many night games they can play? That would mean an awful lot of weekday afternoon games for everybody.

I could see having a few Sundays during the season where you did this, but that's about it.

Even if not all 162, more of this would be better.

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

Opening Day and 162, I love it. The rest really isn’t that important.

Exactly, that's all you need. MAYBE the last game before the All Star break. 

When it's unique, it's special. Any more than that and it gets played out and we don't care about the other games being played throughout the day.

• Like 3

I like the Opening Day and pre ASB idea, the former only because they abandoned the traditional Reds opener. I think it could work for the final series of the season (8 EDT/5PDT Fri-Sat, 3 EDT/Noon PDT Sunday).

They should not do this beyond these five days. They should also make the final day or weekend free on MLB.TV as they did previous seasons (but not this year).

It’s okay for special stuff to be special. Pretty sure the west coast is happy not to play at 4pm every day.

If anything it’s a shame MLB can’t get a big network to have a “coast to coast” show cutting across all the game 162 happenings like a final day red zone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It’s okay for special stuff to be special. Pretty sure the west coast is happy not to play at 4pm every day.

If anything it’s a shame MLB can’t get a big network to have a “coast to coast” show cutting across all the game 162 happenings like a final day red zone.

Couldn’t they do that with, u know, MLB network?

13 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Even if not all 162, more of this would be better.

Maybe weekends, but then it could still be tough to do if there are doubleheaders I guess. Also, the more exciting vibe is because it is the last day of the year. Wouldn’t feel this way if it was game like 30 for every team.

Edited by manbearpuig