White Sox-Astros Game 1 3:07 Start Time

KnightsOnMintSt

3 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Figured this could use its own thread. Let’s get it updated when someone finds out!

I have MLBN on right now, they are live until 9:00 so hoping they announce before then.

Also obsessively refreshing this page: https://www.mlb.com/postseason

Also expect to see the Sox beat writers all tweet about it as soon as the team finds out.

They will all likely in the 3-4 PM CDT range, except for a Game 5, if the TB series is over. I’d expect the following (all times CDT):

• Thurs: Sox 3-4 PM; TB 7-8 PM
  • Friday: Atl Noon; Sox 3 PM; TB 6 PM; SF 9 PM
  • Sunday: Sox 3-4 PM; TB 7-8 PM
  • Monday TBD: Atl Noon; Sox 3PM; TB 6-7 PM; SF 8-9 PM
  • Wednesday: Sox 3-4 PM; TB 7-8 PM (or 7-8 if TB over).

If the TB series ends after 3 or 4 games, the Sox slide in the TB prime slot.

The wild card for Game 4 would be if Saint Louis advances, the Sox window could be mid afternoon or prime, depending on whether the TB series is still in play, since there won’t be a West Coast Game.

So MLBN's live hour from 8-9 did not include Division Series start times, but Dan O'Dowd spent the entire hour trashing the Sox because their team O-swing rate is too high and the pitchers don't pitch inside and Astros hitters excel at hitting outside pitches.

I just looked up Sox stats re: wRC+ and OSwing%

Two best wRC+ on Sox are Grandal (18.5% OSwing%) and Robert (45.0 OSwing%). Seems like there's not a large correlation there.

17 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They will all likely in the 3-4 PM CDT range, except for a Game 5, if the TB series is over. I’d expect the following (all times CDT):

• Thurs: Sox 3-4 PM; TB 7-8 PM
  • Friday: Atl Noon; Sox 3 PM; TB 6 PM; SF 9 PM
  • Sunday: Sox 3-4 PM; TB 7-8 PM
  • Monday TBD: Atl Noon; Sox 3PM; TB 6-7 PM; SF 8-9 PM
  • Wednesday: Sox 3-4 PM; TB 7-8 PM (or 7-8 if TB over).

If the TB series ends after 3 or 4 games, the Sox slide in the TB prime slot.

The wild card for Game 4 would be if Saint Louis advances, the Sox window could be mid afternoon or prime, depending on whether the TB series is still in play, since there won’t be a West Coast Game.

They will not put white sox on at the same time as Bears on Sunday

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

They will not put white sox on at the same time as Bears on Sunday

The Cubs played the Padres for Game Five in 1984 simultaneous with the Bears game, with Payton becoming the all time NFL rushing leader.

Besides, the Bears are no longer a Chicago team. 😎

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Cubs played the Padres for Game Five in 1984 simultaneous with the Bears game, with Payton becoming the all time NFL rushing leader.

Besides, the Bears are no longer a Chicago team. 😎

That is untrue. The Cubs Game 5 in 1984 was after the Bear game that Payton became the all time leading rusher. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soxsi75 said:

That is untrue. The Cubs Game 5 in 1984 was after the Bear game that Payton became the all time leading rusher. 

You are correct. Thinking back, we did flip toward the end back and forth at the end. The game was a 3 PM game in SD, Bears were a noon game. That said, they wouldn't have played in SD at 10 AM to accommodate a 3PM Bears game, especially back then. The baseball game was 3PM, it's likely an NFL game was on at noon on NBC in the Chicago market. Cubs took an early lead, and then I believe Sandberg spilled Gatorade on Durham's mitt and the rest was history.

If the Bears game next week were a Fox game, than the network may look to best maximize the fans for both games, but I don't believe the Bears game at 3:15 will impact MLB's decision. In fact, the New York Football Giants playing the 3PM game on Fox makes it even more likely they would want the New York Yankees game following, and not competing against the football game, on their network.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

• Quin pinned this topic
7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You are correct. Thinking back, we did flip toward the end back and forth at the end. The game was a 3 PM game in SD, Bears were a noon game. That said, they wouldn't have played in SD at 10 AM to accommodate a 3PM Bears game, especially back then. The baseball game was 3PM, it's likely an NFL game was on at noon on NBC in the Chicago market. Cubs took an early lead, and then I believe Sandberg spilled Gatorade on Durham's mitt and the rest was history.

If the Bears game next week were a Fox game, than the network may look to best maximize the fans for both games, but I don't believe the Bears game at 3:15 will impact MLB's decision. In fact, the New York Football Giants playing the 3PM game on Fox makes it even more likely they would want the New York Yankees game following, and not competing against the football game, on their network.

New York Yankees may not be playing Sunday after they lose to Boston 

• Like 1

This will be White Sox playoff baseball game.  At least in my world that is 1 million times more interesting than game 5 of the Bears season.  No need for me at least to flip back and forth if they are on at the same time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I completely agree with you.  I don't believe the Bear game being at 3:00 will impact MLB's decision either and I also agree that if the Yankees do happen to be playing that they would want the Yankee game following and not competing with their own network. I'm anticipating the White Sox playing at 3 and the Bears also playing at 3.  It's just bad luck for Chicago fans of both teams that the Bears happen to have a west coast game that day. Now MAYBE they start the White Sox game at Noon? That would be nice to do for Chicago viewers.  Game 4 of the ALCS the White Sox played in 1983 against Baltimore had an early Noon start. And that was after playing a night game the day before.  But I'm not going to hold my breath over that.  And also, going back to the Bear/Cub game 1984 discussion, if this happened today, I would imagine that Cub/Padre game would have been moved to prime time since the Tigers had long since clinched their AL Pennant by that day.  Keeping that game at 3 I think shows how much things have changed with broadcast decisions.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Will we know the times later today? They don’t wait till after the WCs are set right?

I thought that they didn't wait, but if we don't get times soon, I'm thinking that they will wait. Nothing is going to change between now and tomorrow night.

44 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Will we know the times later today? They don’t wait till after the WCs are set right?

I think we can assume right now based on the teams that are in it (either Red Sox or Yankees in round 1, Giants being a West Coast team with HFA) but I would think it is announced later today.

We have better starting pitching, a better bullpen, and the offenses are a toss-up. I think we are a more complete team on paper.  It will just come down to execution.  It all starts with stealing one in Houston, which I hope we can do right out of the gate with Giolito on the mound.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Is the consensus thinking we have an early game Thursday? Or late? For game 1?

Consensus is 3-4pmCT Thursday, 1-3pmCT timeframe on Friday, and likely back to 3-4pmCT timeframe on Sunday.

31 minutes ago, wegner said:

I was thinking last night and wondering where did all my confidence go in the Big Bastard?  How about Giolito and Lynn both dominate in Houston and we only need 1 win back home to move on??

His career stats against the Astros in Houston aren’t very encouraging, but if he can give us 5-6 innings of 2-3 runs I think we can chalk that up as solid. 

8 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

This would be awesome, but I don't see any realistic scenario that Yanks/Red Sox vs. Rays isn't the prime time game Thursday (and through the whole series).  And based on last year, days with just 2 games were 3-4pmCT and 7pmCT game times. 

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Gosh that's miserable. Do they not alternate day games with other series?  

It is brutal.  Thur/Sun only have 2 games, so they'll spread them out I would guess.  Have to image Yanks/Red Sox getting the primetime as mentioned above.

Friday has 4 games - would again assume Sox are one of the 2 day games, and apparently TBS has already reflected Brewers/Braces for the 330pm time slot.  So I think 1pm Friday is likely, which is worst case scenario for me personally.  

• Kalapse changed the title to White Sox-Astros Game 1 3:07 Start Time
  • Quin locked and unlocked this topic
  • Balta1701 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic