White Sox-Astros Game 1 3:07 Start Time

KnightsOnMintSt

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah - I don't really get it.  Though, technically, Giolito could still go on regular rest in game 5.  

This is true. If they're thinking about Lynn for game 4, I get it. Although Carlos has to be topping out at 90 MPH for that to happen IMO. 

Carlos' last real good start where he flashed good velo was against Boston. I think when push comes to shove, he'll still be able to get it up there. But I doubt he can go any longer than 4 or 5 innings. 

Also, Lance's numbers against Houston are a legit concern the past 2 seasons. 

2019 - 28 IP, 3.54 ERA, 8 HR, 6 BB, 39 SO
2020 - 11.2 IP, 11.57 ERA, 5 HR, 4 BB, 12 SO
2021 - 4 IP, 13.5 ERA, 0 HR, 1BB, 6 SO

I will say that the start this year was right before the sticky ban and it was pretty clear that Lance was pitching without pine tar/spider tack for the first time in a while that start. He struggled massively with location and got tagged by Robel Garcia with the bases loaded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Not sure I like Lynn possibly going twice this series, both in Houston, where he has historically struggled. Lucas' numbers against Houston since 2019 are amazing. I know Lynn has way more playoff experience, but his numbers in the postseason aren't that good. 

👆

24 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I too wish Giolito was going game 1, for the sole reason that Lynn has struggled vs Houston and the game 1 starter will also be game 5

There are 4 days between game 2 and game 5.  Every pitcher can pitch in game 5 except maybe the game 4 starter.

If Giolito wants to go on 4 days for game 5 he can and it gives Lynn another day as well.  Also if Lynn can only go 5 he has the full pen to be rested for game 3 if Rodon can only go 5. 

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Not sure I like Lynn possibly going twice this series, both in Houston, where he has historically struggled. Lucas' numbers against Houston since 2019 are amazing. I know Lynn has way more playoff experience, but his numbers in the postseason aren't that good. 

Gio could still pitch a game 5 on almost regular rest. This gives him an extra day for his first start.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This is true. If they're thinking about Lynn for game 4, I get it. Although Carlos has to be topping out at 90 MPH for that to happen IMO. 

Carlos' last real good start where he flashed good velo was against Boston. I think when push comes to shove, he'll still be able to get it up there. But I doubt he can go any longer than 4 or 5 innings. 

Also, Lance's numbers against Houston are a legit concern the past 2 seasons. 

2019 - 28 IP, 3.54 ERA, 8 HR, 6 BB, 39 SO
2020 - 11.2 IP, 11.57 ERA, 5 HR, 4 BB, 12 SO
2021 - 4 IP, 13.5 ERA, 0 HR, 1BB, 6 SO

I will say that the start this year was right before the sticky ban and it was pretty clear that Lance was pitching without pine tar/spider tack for the first time in a while that start. He struggled massively with location and got tagged by Robel Garcia with the bases loaded. 

I definitely would have gone with Gio.  But TLR did specifically say in his presser today that Lynn will be available for game 4, if needed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I definitely would have gone with Gio.  But TLR did specifically say in his presser today that Lynn will be available for game 4, if needed. 

So would I. This kind of reminds me of 1993 when Black Jack McDowell got the game 1 and game 5 starts in the ALCS. He did win the Cy, and he was a tough guy like Lynn, but Alvarez and Bere had been outpitching him for over a month. When he was coming out of the bullpen before game 5 , I was as fired up as anyone. A few innings later, I wondered why the guys pitching better weren't on the mound. I hope Lynn can change that tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So would I. This kind of reminds me of 1993 when Black Jack McDowell got the game 1 and game 5 starts in the ALCS. He did win the Cy, and he was a tough guy like Lynn, but Alvarez and Bere had been outpitching him for over a month. When he was coming out of the bullpen before game 5 , I was as fired up as anyone. A few innings later, I wondered why the guys pitching better weren't on the mound. I hope Lynn can change that tomorrow. 

If Lynn can look like he did against the Red Sox in his first start back from the IL, I think we'll be fine. If his knee is still bothering him and messing with his command, we may be in for a long game 1. 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:56 AM, wegner said:

I was thinking last night and wondering where did all my confidence go in the Big Bastard?  How about Giolito and Lynn both dominate in Houston and we only need 1 win back home to move on??

I was thinking the same thing. Based on the interviews and comments from the various Sox players, I know they believe in themselves and feel the same way. Whether than happens or not remains to be seen, but we are damn good enough to beat the Astros, so let's do it! 

• Love 1

FanGraphs playoff series odds are up. Sox-Astros is by far the closest one with the Astros edging us out 50.1 to 49.9. Yes, it's that close. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds/post-season-zips?&series=ALDS2

They have Keuchel starting game 4, which is wrong, so if they actually correct that we may actually be favored in their projections. 

Giolito starting game 2 actually makes us favorites on the road 52-48.