White Sox-Astros Game 1 3:07 Start Time

KnightsOnMintSt

16 minutes ago, pcq said:

TA Yaz Robert Abreu should lead the way in thar order. Stay off of those low sliders. 

Yaz should definitely be 2nd or 3rd in the lineup with his OBP. I would love the lineup the way you have it there. 

21 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Geoff Blum throwing out the 1st pitch game 2. I mean I knownhes an Astros guy through and through but I feel like the Astros are trolling themselves with that one.

Well that’s dumb 😆

11 hours ago, Angel Hernandez said:

We need our hitters to have a good approach at the plate, no shit I know I know. We were sloppy in the batter's box at times this year. But of course guys will be more assertive.

I like our starting pitching. It's nice that a Javier Vasquez type pitcher is not starting game 1 

Agree.  We need to work the count and avoid swinging at sliders outside the zone.  My second big concern are issues related to the running game or lack thereof on the Sox side.  Need to have more runners in motion than in the regular season ,and avoid double plays.  On the other side, we need to keep opposing runners well checked as we probably have the worst catchers defense in the playoffs.  Opponents will try to run us out of the park.  We will need to minimize walks and base runners thru excellent pitching. IMO.

• Thanks 1

In the postseason preview tonight with Chuck and Ozzie, they showed Geoff Blum discussing how patient the Astros are and how they will feel out the home plate umps early to see how big of a strike zone it is.  Grandal and his framing might be a big key.

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

Yaz should definitely be 2nd or 3rd in the lineup with his OBP. I would love the lineup the way you have it there. 

I would hate it. 3 of the 1st 4 are RHH against the righty McCullers with the nasty horizontally breaking slider ? Yoan has to be in there to balance it out. He looked liked he found his power stroke  the last 2 weeks of the season. Keep Yas 4th against RHP, maybe 3rd if Abreu is under the weather. I might even want Sheets ahead of Eloy but that's not going to happen. Tim , Moncada, Yas, Abreu, Robert, Sheets, Eloy gets 3 of the 1st 6 lefties against McCullers. I know Eloy 7th is bad but he hasn't looked that sharp lately.

McCullers also walks a lot of guys so having 2 of the 1st 4 hitters our 2 most likely to walk also helps to put the pressure on McCullers. Don't let him settle in . Keep the pressure on him right away.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Agree.  We need to work the count and avoid swinging at sliders outside the zone.  My second big concern are issues related to the running game or lack thereof on the Sox side.  Need to have more runners in motion than in the regular season ,and avoid double plays.  On the other side, we need to keep opposing runners well checked as we probably have the worst catchers defense in the playoffs.  Opponents will try to run us out of the park.  We will need to minimize walks and base runners thru excellent pitching. IMO.

If I remember correctly, Gio has a history of being pretty bad at holding runners on.

I get the feeling this game may be frustrating. I'm thinking HOU will have a 4-0/4-1 lead in the 7th. The Sox will get 1-2 runs then and threaten but the rally will fall short

But don't fret because the Sox will shut them out tomorrow in a 6-0 win

I'll say this, I've been hard on Tony and I don't think he's the right guy but the sox can win it all with him. 

One thing I will say is it'll be nice to watch a playoff game where it doesn't look like our manager is going to pass out from the pressure. I'll never forget rick at the edge of  the dugout with his hands on his knees looking like he's hyperventilating in the 3rd inning of a game they're leading 1-0. Tony may be taking a nap, but that's better than a look of panic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1