Difficult To Assess This Series

Soxsi75

I guess a big reason why is because the White Sox are so difficult to assess. Because of the incredible amount of injuries they've had this year, no one can look at regular season results and stats and provide a truly intelligent prediction to this Astros series. But here's a way us White Sox fans can do so in an optimistic way.

Sports fans know about the "Fab Five," which was the Michigan basketball's team nickname in the early 90's. Well, maybe we can look at this White Sox team as "The Main Six." Meaning regulars Anderson, Robert, Abreu, Grandal, Jimenez, and Moncada. Because of injuries and extended resting, these 6 guys were all in the lineup together, incredibly, only 10 times!!  Not sure if there have been too many other division winning teams that have had their top 6 regulars in the lineup together 10 times, which is a tribute to this team. And no matter what happens in the upcoming playoffs, this will be something we can look back on this team in years to come with pride that they overcame this and won their division. But in those 10 games, the White Sox went 8-2 and averaged exactly 7 runs a game!!  So based on this, for experts to say Houston has the edge offensively because they scored more runs then we did, wouldn't really have all the facts. 

It's also a shame that if these guys, (only Abreu and Moncada of these 6 weren't out extending periods due to long term injuries,) would have been together in the lineup more, we surely would have won enough games to have home field advantage in this series, but let's not worry about that, because if we win this series that becomes a moot point.

Edited by Soxsi75
  • Like 3

IMO, the assessment is simple.  We needed HFA to be the favorite.  I’d say Sox are the underdog and I would predict an Astros series win if asked.  Having said that…Go Sox and it’s moot point, not mute.  Sorry, couldn’t help myself. 😁

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I guess a big reason why is because the White Sox are so difficult to assess. Because of the incredible amount of injuries they've had this year, no one can look at regular season results and stats and provide a truly intelligent prediction to this Astros series. But here's a way us White Sox fans can do so in an optimistic way.

Sports fans know about the "Fab Five," which was the Michigan basketball's team nickname in the early 90's. Well, maybe we can look at this White Sox team as "The Main Six." Meaning regulars Anderson, Robert, Abreu, Grandal, Jimenez, and Moncada. Because of injuries and extended resting, these 6 guys were all in the lineup together, incredibly, only 10 times!!  Not sure if there have been too many other division winning teams that have had their top 6 regulars in the lineup together 10 times, which is a tribute to this team. And no matter what happens in the upcoming playoffs, this will be something we can look back on this team in years to come with pride that they overcame this and won their division. But in those 10 games, the White Sox went 8-2 and averaged exactly 7 runs a game!!  So based on this, for experts to say Houston has the edge offensively because they scored more runs then we did, wouldn't really have all the facts. 

It's also a shame that if these guys, (only Abreu and Moncada of these 6 weren't out extending periods due to long term injuries,) would have been together in the lineup more, we surely would have won enough games to have home field advantage in this series, but let's not worry about that, because if we win this series that becomes a mute point.

6 minutes ago, JTB said:

IMO, the assessment is simple.  We needed HFA to be the favorite.  I’d say Sox are the underdog and I would predict an Astros series win if asked.  Having said that…Go Sox and it’s moot point, not mute.  Sorry, couldn’t help myself. 😁

Haha! You're right it is moot. I've already changed it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not sure if this analysis makes any sense but I'm here for it. Go SOX.

My point is that it's difficult, maybe impossible, to assess this team based on regular season results because we basically have NEVER had our full regular team out there. But now we do. Not so much of an analysis, but more of a way to point out there really isn't a good way to analyze this team, because of having our entire lineup in some way shape or form not intact all year.

Edited by Soxsi75

In the AL, I just don’t think there is much of a tier in quality from the top 5. Tampa, to me, is built for the regular season dominance, is a likely favorite but doesn’t feel inevitable. Their depth among other things means to me I’m they won’t get crushed in a game of a player (pitcher) underperforms.

The Yankees could hit 30 home runs.

The Astros are a very well rounded team but have had some bullpen struggles.

The Red Sox feel the weakest but also have had hot SP, Bullpen and offensive stretches.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

More difficult round 1 opponent than last year while having a better team going into battle.

Feels like the players whom the moment was too big for are gone, the players who lived up to it (TA, Robert, Eloy, Gio) are here, and then Rodon is probably one who failed last year that is our fulcrum.

Last 30 days:

Sox pitching - 3.43 ERA [0.30 below season ERA], 9.73 K/9, 3.13 K/BB, top 4 starters threw 76.2 innings

Houston pitching - 4.02 ERA [0.26 above season ERA], 8.37 K/9, 2.16 K/BB, top 4 starters threw 106.0 innings

Sox pitchers are more rested and have been pitching better

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, JTB said:

Agreed, i see ourselves as the underdog but we just need to win 1 game on the road. Anything can happen in a best of 5

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If the offense shows up, Sox take the series IMO - if they can avoid beating themselves with stupid defense, bad base running, poor dugout decisions, etc.  I have faith the pitching can hold down the Stros bats for three games. 

"If the offense shows up, Sox take the series IMO."

That's exactly why I started this post. We haven't had our lineup intact at all this year. 10 games. And we averaged 7 runs a game in those 10 games. That's what has me optimistic. Because now our lineup is intact. 

25 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

"If the offense shows up, Sox take the series IMO."

That's exactly why I started this post. We haven't had our lineup intact at all this year. 10 games. And we averaged 7 runs a game in those 10 games. That's what has me optimistic. Because now our lineup is intact. 

Yeah, I think the sox for most of the year have had stretches with virtually one guy carrying them. And their best stretch was when we had a remarkable cast of help of goodwin, hamilton, leury, and a whole lot of Grandal with dominant pitching. But the last few weeks we have had pretty good stretches of TA + Robert + Grandal + Moncada, and hopeful last series from Eloy/Abreu. But still we have had games of just blanks even with that lineup.

But aside from the Giants, every team even the dodgers has had some real clunky parts of the season and some en feugo parts. We know if all the guys click at once we'll be in the World Series, honestly. But if it is just a hot robert and Grandal, we've also seen that isn't enough.

32 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

stupid defense, bad base running, poor dugout decisions

Fundamentals are Fun! Our fun in these areas has been limited this year. If we can cover the details of play and stay concentrated on *all* the aspects of the game there is no reason we can't beat these guys. Even if they're able to steal at will.

1 hour ago, Soxsi75 said:

It's also a shame that if these guys, (only Abreu and Moncada of these 6 weren't out extending periods due to long term injuries,) would have been together in the lineup more, we surely would have won enough games to have home field advantage in this series, but let's not worry about that, because if we win this series that becomes a moot point.

In my experience...experts are correct about half the time.

(Reposting in the thread where I intended to post).  

We have better starting pitching, a better bullpen, and the offenses are a toss-up. I think we are a more complete team on paper.  It will just come down to execution.  It all starts with stealing one in Houston, which I hope we can do right out of the gate with Giolito on the mound.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

I think that not opening the series at home is huge, but what can you do . it's like Stone said yesterday, if the Sox come out and play well, they can beat anyone . if they don't, it can get ugly.

Larussa didn't even try for Homefield advantage.. Gotta love it

IMHO there are 3 keys to the series for WS:

1) laying off the low and away sliders Abreu, Robert, Jimeniz, Anderson will get a steady diet of. 

2) Rodon's velo (assuming he is healthy enough to get the ball).

3) defense...can't allow extra baserunners and at-bats with Houston lineup. 

I would add a 4th being some combo of Robert, Jiminez and Moncada getting hot (or in Robert's case hotter). I'm expecting solid play from Abreu and Grandal but we'll need others to contribute at the plate.

• Like 1