Difficult To Assess This Series

Soxsi75

Sox are clicking on all cylinders coming into this.  Key guys in the bullpen have been lights out.  Yeah they lost yesterday but come on, ReyLO was pitching the ninth and they pinch hit for their two best players with a runner on.  I really like where we are at.  Astros, while they have won 2 in a row, have struggled as of late.  

I think we split the first two games in Houston.  We win whichever game Gio pitches.  But I don't think the Astros can touch us at home.  I think we win in 4.  It's a tough series and it's pretty evenly matched but on paper, the White Sox do have the edge in just about every category.

22 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

if the Sox can't prevent runners from stealing, well they're gonna need to really have some dominant SP

Smart pickoff moves, holding the runners and the infielders playing tough and smart around the bags will all help, but Yaz and Collins just aren't going to be throwing out steal attempts consistently  - and the Astros know it.

31 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

The Sox have more talent than the Astros.  It’s not really that close.  Anything can happen in a series though.  

I imagine we’ll sweep them or maybe lose 1.  

Other than CF and catcher, am curous which positions (non-pitchers) you feel the Sox have more talent than Astros? 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Other than CF and catcher, am curous which positions (non-pitchers) you feel the Sox have more talent than Astros? 

Grandal >>> Houston C

Abreu > Gurriel

Altuve >>> Hernandez

Anderson = Correa

Bregman > Moncada

Eloy = Brantley

Robert >>> Houston CF

Tucker >>> White Sox RF

Alvarez >>> White Sox DH

White Sox starters >> Houston Starters

White Sox Bullpen >> Houston Bullpen

I've given them the edge on the offensive side, but give us a strong edge on the pitching side.  I gave White Sox 11 >, Astros 10>, so that must mean we win the series in 5 games.  It's scientific. 

I know people disregard baseball experts but many people are still saying the White Sox are AL favorites.  I think if this bullpen and rotation pitch like they have in the final week, it's going to be pretty hard to stop us.  The issue that other teams have is that they are going to have a much harder time winning 1-0 or 3-2 games.  If the offense isn't clicking, they are still built to win low scoring games because of their bullpen and starting pitching.

Some Sox stats (day games, night games, away games).  Stat/Rank (MLB, Best to Worst)

Day Games

GP: 63/10th most

ERA: 3.80/7th, WHIP: 1.25/11th, OPS: .743/8th

Night Games

GP: 99/21st

ERA: 3.68/5th, WHIP: 1.18/5th, OPS: .768/6th

Away Games

ERA: 3.93/7th, WHIP: 1.29/9th, OPS: .729/11th

Houston Astros

Home Games

ERA: 3.58/8th, WHIP: 1.21/11th, OPS: .788/7th

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Astros also have a ton of playoff experience and I think that helped them last year overcome their season struggles when it mattered the most. 

I also think that helped the As against us.  Luckily we have more veteran presence than we did last year and pretty much all of our key guys have had meaningful appearances in the playoffs now.

In an alterante universe where the Sox weren't in the playoffs, I'd likely root for Baker to get a World Series ring.  But fuck that now.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Grandal >>> Houston C

Abreu > Gurriel

Altuve >>> Hernandez

Anderson = Correa

Bregman > Moncada

Eloy = Brantley

Robert >>> Houston CF

Tucker >>> White Sox RF

Alvarez >>> White Sox DH

White Sox starters >> Houston Starters

White Sox Bullpen >> Houston Bullpen

I've given them the edge on the offensive side, but give us a strong edge on the pitching side.  I gave White Sox 11 >, Astros 10>, so that must mean we win the series in 5 games.  It's scientific. 

I'm not so sure we have the edge in starting pitching.  It's at least a push.  

Just now, bighurt574 said:

I'm not so sure we have the edge in starting pitching.  It's at least a push.  

How do you figure? McCullers, Garcia, Urquidy and Valdez are a very clear and somewhat significant step down from the Sox top 4. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How do you figure? McCullers, Garcia, Urquidy and Valdez are a very clear and somewhat significant step down from the Sox top 4. 

yeah, it's not even particularly close.  Garcia (rookie), Valdez (LHP), Urquidy, meh.  

I think we have the starting pitching advantage in literally every game except whichever one Cease pitches (push).  

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

yeah, it's not even particularly close.  Garcia (rookie), Valdez (LHP), Urquidy, meh.  

I think we have the starting pitching advantage in literally every game except whichever one Cease pitches (push).  

Look upthread where I posted pitching stats from the last 30 days. Astros starters have pitched way more innings and their ERA has gone up while the Sox starters have pitched fewer innings and their ERA has gone down. I think the Astros starters are tiring.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I mean, I think you could make an argument Cease would be the Astros 2nd best SP.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon is such a big question mark to me, i have to agree that the pitching matchups are more even then im comfortable with

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Look upthread where I posted pitching stats from the last 30 days. Astros starters have pitched way more innings and their ERA has gone up while the Sox starters have pitched fewer innings and their ERA has gone down. I think the Astros starters are tiring.

good point, something to consider