Difficult To Assess This Series

Soxsi75

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

Overall, I am a pessimist on this series, and mostly find myself just hoping they get at least one win to get two playoff home games.

Optimist on:

- Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Grandal (offensively

- Starting Rotation

Pessimist on:

- Defense, but we do have good def subs in engel, hamilton

- Holding runners

- Bullpen

- Houston offense - you couldn't build a better playoff offense. They make a lot of contact, they don't strike out. Totally negates our bullpen velocity, especially with their propensity to get wild. Bummer could be a GOAT or a goat in this series.

Parkman hack your account?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox are the better team. Playing better baseball, with the better overall pitching staff. 

It's a short series so who knows what will happen, but I like our chances.

The Sox are the better team, but then we see them do things like Tim Anderson did in that last game against Detroit, and it makes you wonder. If the Sox bullpen doesn't implode, they should advance.

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Not much respect given to us here.......

I think I kind of like it this way.  F the national media 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2021-mlb-playoffs-expert-picks-postseason-predictions-another-dodgers-astros-world-series/

I quite literally have not heard of a single one of those people making picks. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The Sox are the better team, but then we see them do things like Tim Anderson did in that last game against Detroit, and it makes you wonder. If the Sox bullpen doesn't implode, they should advance.

How about what TA did Friday night when he pretty much willed the team back to victory? Literally zero concern for anything TA related. He’s gonna ball out. My concerns are OF defense, Cesar being a black hole, and Lynn/Rodon health. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Overall, I am a pessimist on this series, and mostly find myself just hoping they get at least one win to get two playoff home games.

Optimist on:

- Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Grandal (offensively

- Starting Rotation

Pessimist on:

- Defense, but we do have good def subs in engel, hamilton

- Holding runners

- Bullpen

- Houston offense - you couldn't build a better playoff offense. They make a lot of contact, they don't strike out. Totally negates our bullpen velocity, especially with their propensity to get wild. Bummer could be a GOAT or a goat in this series.

Houston could be dominant but Chicago won the last two games.

To be honest, I haven't been this confident about a sports team since Michigan was in the NCAA tournament in 2018.  I was fairly confident, especially after the round of 32 that they were headed to the finals.  I just think this team is built for a deep postseason run.  They are finally starting to click on all cylinders.  Anything can happen but I feel very confident in saying we win in 4.

Sox will need fair and impartial ball and strike calls from the respective home plate umpires. If they give the Stros the outside corners and pinch our pitchers they will play a major role in determining the outcome of games.

Edited to add: That is why I am inclined to favor electronic/video strike zones instead of the subjective calls from an umpire that are proven wrong in all too many instances.

Edited by tray

One thing I think just about everybody is overlooking when they use season numbers to compare the Sox and Astros:

24.4% of Sox season plate appearances were by guys who will not be on the playoff roster (assuming no Goodwin with that figure). I know every team has had injuries, but I'm betting that figure is much higher for the Sox than the other playoff teams.

To be more specific: Robert, Jimenez and Engel all has ZERO plate appearances against Houston this year. Sheets only had 6. That's close to have the lineup that Houston has seen very little or none of this year.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

I look at that Houston lineup, and are they loaded. Like any short best of five series the opening two games are usually key. If the Sox win the first two, they'll win it in four. If they split the first two, Houston will win it in five. If Houston wins the first two, they'll win it in four. Houston is a solid but not heavy favorite to win this series. The two teams I didn't want the Sox to play were the Yankees and Astros. Well, the Yankees are gone. If the Sox can get past Houston, I like their chances against either Boston or Tampa Bay.

1 hour ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I look at that Houston lineup, and are they loaded. Like any short best of five series the opening two games are usually key. If the Sox win the first two, they'll win it in four. If they split the first two, Houston will win it in five. If Houston wins the first two, they'll win it in four. Houston is a solid but not heavy favorite to win this series. The two teams I didn't want the Sox to play were the Yankees and Astros. Well, the Yankees are gone. If the Sox can get past Houston, I like their chances against either Boston or Tampa Bay.

You think the Sox have to sweep the first 2 in Houston to win the series?  Me thinks not.  If the Sox win 1 of the first 2 games in Houston, they're in pretty good shape.  I do agree, however, that the first 2 games are definitely key, and if the Sox fall down 0-2, they're in a world of trouble.  

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He has probably made a new account.  Based on posting it's probably Jerry mcnertney 

Is that ragah ragah guy still around??  Also I hope I didn't call to him by invoking his name ala Beetlejuice.

I will be very discouraged if the Sox fail to hit Friday for the second game in a row. It shouldn't be that difficult to score some runs in road games. If Sox lose Friday, it's over. Sox aren't coming back from two down in a five-game set against a good team.

I guess it's 'possible' Sox could then win two in Chicago if our fans go crazy both games, but I just don't see Houston losing 3 in a row. Sox better hit Friday or yes they can be accused of Twins-type choking. Personally I think Sox bounce back and it'll then become a helluva series.