MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Rey21 said:

Astros will find a way to keep Correa too, this is pretty frustrating, know it’s super early in the offseason but Sox need to make a big move on offense (not named Conforto) and in the rotation 

Nah Correa is gone, but I would worry that they might go after Semien. Astros are going to be loaded beyond belief though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Astros will find a way to keep Correa too, this is pretty frustrating, know it’s super early in the offseason but Sox need to make a big move on offense (not named Conforto) and in the rotation 

I think Marte is going to end up with the Phillies and Correa is going to end up with either the Tigers or the Yankees. 

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I love offseason soxtalk where everyone gets excited with potential big free agents only to see hahn dumpster dive in the end

^^^

Idk when people will learn. 

Be prepared for Escobar/Villar at 2B and Maybe Conforto, depending on if they can get him for under 100M. If not they're probably going to roll with what they have in RF and just fill out the bullpen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

Where does Marte fit into Houston’s outfield? They’ve got Brantley, Straw, Tucker, McCormick, and Meyers as outfielders and Yordan will be DHing everyday. That likely moves Brantley to the bench and McCormick+Meyers to AAA. Straw was a great defensive CF so Houston is either not maximizing Marte’s defensive value as a CF or moving a stud CF out of position. It’s for this reason that it wouldn’t be as devastating if Houston lands him (compared to getting a true corner outfielder with a better bat), but it still improves the roster of our main competition in the AL

Just now, MackowiakYakYak said:

Where does Marte fit into Houston’s outfield? They’ve got Brantley, Straw, Tucker, McCormick, and Meyers as outfielders and Yordan will be DHing everyday. That likely moves Brantley to the bench and McCormick+Meyers to AAA. Straw was a great defensive CF so Houston is either not maximizing Marte’s defensive value as a CF or moving a stud CF out of position. It’s for this reason that it wouldn’t be as devastating if Houston lands him (compared to getting a true corner outfielder with a better bat), but it still improves the roster of our main competition in the AL

Marte starts in CF this year and then transitions over to RF as Brantley's contract ends. 

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Do you consider Liam Hendricks a dumpster dive?

Like Grandal, they only shop at the top of the market at positions that don't command top dollar. Their biggest FA signings have been a 1B, C and Closer. 

Their holes aren't at those spots right now so expect dumpster diving. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^

Be prepared for Escobar/Villar at 2B and Maybe Conforto, depending on if they can get him for under 100M. If not they're probably going to roll with what they have in RF and just fill out the bullpen. 

Thanks for setting expectations Jack.  I definitely wouldn’t want any joy or optimism in my life and I know I can always count on you to enforce that.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^

Escobar and Conforto are not dumpster diving moves. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I love offseason soxtalk where everyone gets excited with potential big free agents only to see hahn dumpster dive in the end

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^

Why can't people just approach the offseason however they want?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks for setting expectations Jack.  I definitely wouldn’t want any joy or optimism in my life and I know I can always count on you to enforce that.

Christ I must have missed him coming back. Glad we're all going to have our good taste of misery back in full swing on here. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 2

46 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^

a Escobar/Conforto offseason would be outstanding for the offense.

42 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like Grandal, they only shop at the top of the market at positions that don't command top dollar. Their biggest FA signings have been a 1B, C and Closer. 

Their holes aren't at those spots right now so expect dumpster diving. 

I hope you didn't hurt your back moving those goalposts.