MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like Grandal, they only shop at the top of the market at positions that don't command top dollar. Their biggest FA signings have been a 1B, C and Closer. 

Their holes aren't at those spots right now so expect dumpster diving. 

I know you're set on your narratives but their largest offers ever were to 3B, RF, SP, SP, etc.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^

Idk when people will learn. 

Be prepared for Escobar/Villar at 2B and Maybe Conforto, depending on if they can get him for under 100M. If not they're probably going to roll with what they have in RF and just fill out the bullpen. 

I personally like Escobar as a value 2B pick. Primarily against Conforto for payroll flexibility and potential bad contract his final years, but if the Sox make those two work and get two relievers and a #4/#5 starter, I would be ecstatic. T

hey are heavily committed top end ($100M Abreu, Lynn, Grandal, Keuchel, Kimbrel and Hendriks), but if payroll opens up beyond $170M to say the $180 + range, and the Sox brought in decent to very good players like the two mentioned, instead of Eaton lotto ticket types, it would be an excellent off-season based on where they started at year end. Really need to be able to move Kimbrel, I think they keep Keuchel and he turns it around next season a bit (nothing stellar, but a decent starter with a 3.8-4.2 ERA).

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I personally like Escobar as a value 2B pick. Primarily against Conforto for payroll flexibility and potential bad contract his final years, but if the Sox make those two work and get two relievers and a #4/#5 starter, I would be ecstatic. T

hey are heavily committed top end ($100M Abreu, Lynn, Grandal, Keuchel, Kimbrel and Hendriks), but if payroll opens up beyond $170M to say the $180 + range, and the Sox brought in decent to very good players like the two mentioned, instead of Eaton lotto ticket types, it would be an excellent off-season based on where they started at year end. Really need to be able to move Kimbrel, I think they keep Keuchel and he turns it around next season a bit (nothing stellar, but a decent starter with a 3.8-4.2 ERA).

I think Escobar and Conforto as the major moves of the offseason is about the best Sox fans could reasonably expect. 

I'm incredibly annoyed with fans going gaga for guys like Seager, Scherzer et al. Each and every offseason. Those people are so divorced from reality it's not even funny. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No they're not, but they're the bare minimum to not be dumpster diving. 

What would you think if they only signed Villar and bullpen pieces? 

I would be disappointed but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think they will have atleast two significant moves this offseason. One through FA and the other through a trade.

Edited by maloney.adam

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Conforto could easily become the highest paid player in Sox history.  Just stop 

If Conforto gets more than $90M on a 5 year deal I think the Sox are going to bow out. 

Grandal's deal is the largest the Sox have ever given so that's a very low bar to clear. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

We'll agree to disagree there. Their offer of guaranteed money to Machado was never serious if it didn't begin with a 3. 

Saying agree to disagree is a cop out. You really really need to stop moving the goal posts. They were absolutely serious in acquiring him. Whether they had the right offer for it is another story entirely. 

Why the mods decided to torture us all this offseason and unban you is the real mystery. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Saying agree to disagree is a cop out. You really really need to stop moving the goal posts. They were absolutely serious in acquiring him. Whether they had the right offer for it is another story entirely. 

Why the mods decided to torture us all this offseason and unban you is the real mystery. 

Oh come on, Villar and bullpen pieces is incredibly realistic

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, Baron said:

They were not serious because they never offered Machado $300M guaranteed. 

They were trying to placate the fans by saying "we tried" Machado was never going to accept anything less than 300M so their $250M offer was never serious because there was no way it was ever going to be accepted. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think Escobar and Conforto as the major moves of the offseason is about the best Sox fans could reasonably expect. 

I'm incredibly annoyed with fans going gaga for guys like Seager, Scherzer et al. Each and every offseason. Those people are so divorced from reality it's not even funny. 

They are solid moves to address what the Sox need, and provide depth, since the Sox wouldn't be trading guys like Vaughn and/or Sheets to fill these holes.

In terms of speculation, not sure why you get upset at others hoping for high end FAs. I ignore those posts / speculative threads, and quite frankly was happy the Sox lost out on Machado, it just doesn't fit in a mid tier payroll.

Wheeler hurt, but you are not going to win every FA attempt and they made a legitimate top offer to him. Hendriks was a solid move. The Lynn trade also made sense, though not as big a fan of the mid-season extension, with a knee surgery possibly in the works. If he can show up lighter and able to pitch health wise the next two seasons, it should work out. Hopefully he shares the same commitment the team made to him.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They were not serious because they never offered Machado $300M guaranteed. 

They were trying to placate the fans by saying "we tried" Machado was never going to accept anything less than 300M so their $250M offer was never serious because there was no way it was ever going to be accepted. 

Sure it was legit, because there was no guarantee anyone would offer more than it.  

• Like 1