MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They were not serious because they never offered Machado $300M guaranteed. 

They were trying to placate the fans by saying "we tried" Machado was never going to accept anything less than 300M so their $250M offer was never serious because there was no way it was ever going to be accepted. 

See maybe it's just me but I don't think there's some grand conspiracy going on here. They wanted Manny. They made him an offer they were comfortable with. They had the highest offer for months. His team waited it out and they got a higher offer. That's just well played by his side.

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

See maybe it's just me but I don't think there's some grand conspiracy going on here. They wanted Manny. They made him an offer they were comfortable with. They had the highest offer for months. His team waited it out and they got a higher offer. That's just well played by his side.

If you remember the negotiations, I don't ever think the Sox had the top offer for Machado. 

They wanted Machado, but they wanted him on their terms. 

I do not think they offered Machado the $250M contract until he already had the $300M offer from the Padres. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you remember the negotiations, I don't ever think the Sox had the top offer for Machado. 

They wanted Machado, but they wanted him on their terms. 

I do not think they offered Machado the $250M contract until he already had the $300M offer from the Padres. 

Nice edit lol 

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They were not serious because they never offered Machado $300M guaranteed. 

They were trying to placate the fans by saying "we tried" Machado was never going to accept anything less than 300M so their $250M offer was never serious because there was no way it was ever going to be accepted. 

It was 8 years and at a higher AAV, so you can say it wasn't the "highest" offer, but it was serious and it was the leading offer in the clubhouse until almost spring training.  This isn't like the Astros offering Correa 5/160 at free agency knowing he will double that.

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think Escobar and Conforto as the major moves of the offseason is about the best Sox fans could reasonably expect. 

I'm incredibly annoyed with fans going gaga for guys like Seager, Scherzer et al. Each and every offseason. Those people are so divorced from reality it's not even funny. 

You are divorced from reality.

What the White Sox do not do is cripple themselves with free agent contracts.  They may sign some bad ones but they are not crippling themselves over bad signings.  We as fans don't like it but it worked.

Who did you want them to sign last offseason?  

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

People, it's never gonna end.  The goalposts will always move.

Please explain how I'm moving goalposts?

First off I don't understand the concept. 

The Sox have never signed a 9 figure contract yet. They offered one to Wheeler and it wasn't accepted. Until they actually get one done, I think it's unreasonable to expect one. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox have never signed a 9 figure contract yet. They offered one to Wheeler and it wasn't accepted. Until they actually get one done, I think it's unreasonable to expect one. 

You know what it is.  You have been accused of it enough times to grasp the concept

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Didn't they put out a preliminary type offer to Harper?  Or am I misremembering that?

I honestly can’t recall if they actually made a token offer or not.  It almost felt like when we lost out on Machado we were beyond our cap with Harper and never made a legit offer.

16 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

You are divorced from reality.

What the White Sox do not do is cripple themselves with free agent contracts.  They may sign some bad ones but they are not crippling themselves over bad signings.  We as fans don't like it but it worked.

Who did you want them to sign last offseason?  

Keuchel's deal is pretty crippling as it stands. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Baron said:

Saying agree to disagree is a cop out. You really really need to stop moving the goal posts. They were absolutely serious in acquiring him. Whether they had the right offer for it is another story entirely. 

Why the mods decided to torture us all this offseason and unban you is the real mystery. 

Bite your tongue sir. If they unbanned Parkman earlier, the Sox win the playoffs. Banning him was bad juju caused by the mods.

Edited by ron883

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because you complain about something. You're proven that your complaint is wrong. Then you adjust it slightly. Then your complaint is still wrong. Then you adjust it again. Then your complaint is right, but only after changing the complaint from the original topic.

You said they never led the Machado bidding, which they did. Now it's they never signed a 9 figure contract. You moved the arguments until you were right, aka moving goalposts.

• Fire 2

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I know you think this is all hilarious but this is shitty discussion

I just want everybody to be included in the good times when the Sox win. People make mistakes and learn from them. I think Parkman asking for a ban was something he regretted. We will all bask in glory together when the Sox win it all. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly can’t recall if they actually made a token offer or not.  It almost felt like when we lost out on Machado we were beyond our cap with Harper and never made a legit offer.

I am thinking this happened really early, like the GM meetings or winter meetings.  Then after that we never talked to him again.  Like I said it is fuzzy, and I could be wrong here.

Just now, ron883 said:

I just want everybody to be included in the good times when the Sox win. People make mistakes and learn from them. I think Parkman asking for a ban was something he regretted. We will all bask in glory together when the Sox win it all. 

When does the learning part happen

• Like 1