MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I read an article last night by a well known publication, forget which one… it was titled, “Top 10 Worst Trades in MLB History”

Shields for He Who Shall Not Be Named wasn’t on their list.

Failures.

MLB history is a long long time and HWSNBN is still in his career infancy. Give it time.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

MLB history is a long long time and HWSNBN is still in his career infancy. Give it time.

Did we sign someone yet? Did we make a trade yet? Is a new CBA in place yet? Is it February yet? Is it April yet?

I loath the off-season and am so afraid that this particular one is going to be PAINFULLY slow.

Winter blues takes on a deeper meaning for diehard baseball fans. 😢

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

Did we sign someone yet? Did we make a trade yet? Is a new CBA in place yet? Is it February yet? Is it April yet?

I loath the off-season and am so afraid that this particular one is going to be PAINFULLY slow.

Winter blues takes on a deeper meaning for diehard baseball fans. 😢

We are going to strike early and hard, like when we won the offseason with dominoes LaRoche, Robertson and Cabrera falling one after another.

Poop will be eliminated by a new scientific process that Elon Musk has yet to conceptualize.

On the Metaverse, the White Sox will win every single World Series, to the point where every Millennial will be sporting a Sox cap and rappers will suddenly think the Sox are too bourgeoisie and no longer represent the South Side blue collar, Miller Lite-swilling working class.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We are going to strike early and hard, like when we won the offseason with dominoes LaRoche, Robertson and Cabrera falling one after another.

Poop will be eliminated by a new scientific process that Elon Musk has yet to conceptualize.

On the Metaverse, the White Sox will win every single World Series, to the point where every Millennial will be sporting a Sox cap and rappers will suddenly think the Sox are too bourgeoisie and no longer represent the South Side blue collar, Miller Lite-swilling working class.

Half of your post brings me hope… the other half makes me horrified of some 1984 Orwellian nightmare.

• Like 1

Kind of hope we stand pat on the offensive side except at catcher. I have a feeling that our holes can be handled internally in the field and on offense. We need a starting pitcher and another reliever. Romy Gonzalez could be a real sleeper. That Taylor guy on the Dodgers would be a huge upgrade from Leury. Yan Gomes would be a huge upgrade at back up catcher. We have an excellent core, and just need supporting pieces.

40 minutes ago, zisk said:

Kind of hope we stand pat on the offensive side except at catcher. I have a feeling that our holes can be handled internally in the field and on offense. We need a starting pitcher and another reliever. Romy Gonzalez could be a real sleeper. That Taylor guy on the Dodgers would be a huge upgrade from Leury. Yan Gomes would be a huge upgrade at back up catcher. We have an excellent core, and just need supporting pieces.

Taylor will cost almost as much as Conforto…

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Taylor will cost almost as much as Conforto…

I can understand why. If Romy fails, you plug in Taylor. If Yoan gets hurt, you plug in Taylor. If any one else needs a day or two off, 

you plug in Taylor. Conforto is a one position guy, basically.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, zisk said:

I can understand why. If Romy fails, you plug in Taylor. If Yoan gets hurt, you plug in Taylor. If any one else needs a day or two off, 

you plug in Taylor. Conforto is a one position guy, basically.

Taylor's not a plug in guy.  He's an everyday player capable of playing multiple positions at an above avg level.  He's exactly what this team needs but unfortunately I think they're going to go in a different direction. 

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Taylor's not a plug in guy.  He's an everyday player capable of playing multiple positions at an above avg level.  He's exactly what this team needs but unfortunately I think they're going to go in a different direction. 

It will be interesting if Boston goes after him and has the two Dodgers super utility guys. You still expecting movement before the end of the month?  I saw where Matz is supposed to decide in the next few days (CWS not involved)

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

It will be interesting if Boston goes after him and has the two Dodgers super utility guys. You still expecting movement before the end of the month?  I saw where Matz is supposed to decide in the next few days (CWS not involved)

I still think the Dodgers will resign Taylor.  I just have a hard time believing them losing Seager and Taylor in the same off season.  

Movement from the Sox?  Yes I think they'll make at least one move if not a couple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pcq said:

Romy should get some pt.  He might have a future.

Remember how last season went. If Romy was technically the 5th guy on a 4 person bench and was slated to start at Charlotte if no one got hurt…he might still wind up with 400 PAs. And that’s true even if they’re healthier than last year.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Remember how last season went. If Romy was technically the 5th guy on a 4 person bench and was slated to start at Charlotte if no one got hurt…he might still wind up with 400 PAs. And that’s true even if they’re healthier than last year.

C'mon Balta, there are pots of gold at the end of some rainbows. Oh ye of little faith. Remember when we led the mighty Tigers for 7/8ths of a season in 2012 on the backs of 13 rookies?

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I am so confused in what you’re talking about here.  Care to elaborate further?

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Romy is going to end up in Oakland somehow. Then he’ll rollout 3 and 4 war seasons 

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think what he is getting at is if you really want to win a WS, you must have All Star quality major leaguers stashed in Charlotte, and probably Birmingham, and some years, Kanny.

Lol…that’s what it sounded like.  But I figured there was some example from last year he was pointing to and I can’t for the life of me figure it out.  No one fits that billing and it’s just such an extreme example.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

C'mon Balta, there are pots of gold at the end of some rainbows. Oh ye of little faith. Remember when we led the mighty Tigers for 7/8ths of a season in 2012 on the backs of 13 rookies?

You are literally the only person that brings that up consistently like it is some sort of harbinger of doom

Fun update: settings have been changed to allow posters to see who reacted to their post and with what. A reminder that all reactions are a positive +1 on the reputation scoreboard. For now, the laugh emoji is still there, but if certain sensitive sammies try to start bar fights over it, it will be removed. Contrary to some notions, this was never enabled except to mods. But we are bringing you knowledge of how fire is made, may you use it for only good. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Fun update: settings have been changed to allow posters to see who reacted to their post and with what. A reminder that all reactions are a positive +1 on the reputation scoreboard. For now, the laugh emoji is still there, but if certain sensitive sammies try to start bar fights over it, it will be removed. Contrary to some notions, this was never enabled except to mods. But we are bringing you knowledge of how fire is made, may you use it for only good. 

Let the games begin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1