MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32637496/2021-22-mlb-free-agent-superlatives-player-most-likely

https://www.mlb.com/news/free-agent-match-for-each-mlb-team-2021-2022-offseason

White Sox: Joc Pederson, OF
The White Sox could try Andrew Vaughn and/or Gavin Sheets in right field, but adding a solid bat such as Pederson -- a player the Sox have previously expressed interest in -- would give manager Tony La Russa more options. Pederson’s last great year came in 2019, but he had some big moments during the Braves’ World Series run and brings plenty of postseason experience.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Fun update: settings have been changed to allow posters to see who reacted to their post and with what. A reminder that all reactions are a positive +1 on the reputation scoreboard. For now, the laugh emoji is still there, but if certain sensitive sammies try to start bar fights over it, it will be removed. Contrary to some notions, this was never enabled except to mods. But we are bringing you knowledge of how fire is made, may you use it for only good. 

Laughing emoji should account towards the points. My only gripe. 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

RIP Doug Jones

Sad...just watched the 1992 A-S game this weekend and he pitched in it.  I think Robin might have hit off him...either way they said he had a tough 1991, signed a minor league deal for the Astros that winter and made the All-Star game.  Sad to hear this. 

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Fun update: settings have been changed to allow posters to see who reacted to their post and with what. A reminder that all reactions are a positive +1 on the reputation scoreboard. For now, the laugh emoji is still there, but if certain sensitive sammies try to start bar fights over it, it will be removed. Contrary to some notions, this was never enabled except to mods. But we are bringing you knowledge of how fire is made, may you use it for only good. 

Oh Prometheus! When will you learn?

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Can’t link it but Heyman (on tv) said the Sox are looking at top of the rotation pitching, relievers, 2B and RF with a focus on lefty hitting. Mentioned Conforto, Schwarber and Joc as possible fits.

I don't know how you mention Conforto, Schwarber and frickin' Joc Pederson, in the same breath. Aside from the fact that they all bat left handed, they don't have much in common.

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

woof.  Seems spicy.  I would've expected 2/12

Just now, hi8is said:

That’s much higher than I expected for Tepera

Maybe I'm a bit too high here, Loup's track record is longer than Tepera's. But Tepera has posted 2 straight years with strikeout rates above 30%. That'll get you paid. It doesn't take much for ~6M AAV to become 8.5 if the right teams are interested anyways.

10 minutes ago, pcq said:

RIP Doug Jones guardian of the bullpen.

Sad news, he was a solid pitcher, and closed out his career in his 40s stronger than most relievers in their peak (3.0, 2.4 and 1.3 bWAR ages 40, 42, 43). 

He pwned the Sox (61 1/3 IP, 3 HRs, 2.79 ERA, 5-4, 21 Saves).

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

2 years 17M with a club option for year 3 feels like it'll be right around what it takes to sign Tepera.

Hard pass for those terms.

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't know how you mention Conforto, Schwarber and frickin' Joc Pederson, in the same breath. Aside from the fact that they all bat left handed, they don't have much in common.

I can see Conforto for the OF and I love Schwarber's bat now that he's a bit more selective but he would add to our collection at DH. Pederson , no.

I like Gavin Sheets. Steamer has a nice projection on him. Decent walk rate, not terribly high K rate. Plus power and can go the other way. He did extremely well in his 191PA appearance sample size, 12 HR ,9 doubles and 21 of his 44 hits were extra bases. That's a nice percentage resulting in a high ISO.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can see Conforto for the OF and I love Schwarber's bat now that he's a bit more selective but he would add to our collection at DH. Pederson , no.

I like Gavin Sheets. Steamer has a nice projection on him. Decent walk rate, not terribly high K rate. Plus power and can go the other way. He did extremely well in his 191PA appearance sample size, 12 HR ,9 doubles and 21 of his 44 hits were extra bases. That's a nice percentage.

I agree, totally. Schwarber was a beast versus RHP, with an OPS of .990, 200 points higher than versus LH pitching. However, as we all know, the problem with Schwarber is that he's not suitable for the OF and the Sox have too many first base, DH types.

I've already stated my preference for Conforto, to fill the void in RF, while adding LH power.

Edited by Lillian