MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It seems to me that anyone who has signed early is getting more then expected.  Verlander, Graveman, Matz , Loup, DeSclafani and Syndergaard all higher than Fangraphs estimates.

Rodon now becomes the pitching mystery to watch of the offseason, along with Scherzer, Gausman and Kershaw…and, of course, the Kimbrel trade.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It seems to me that anyone who has signed early is getting more then expected.  Verlander, Graveman, Matz , Loup, DeSclafani and Syndergaard all higher than Fangraphs estimates.

This is mostly true on the MLBTR side of things, although DeSclafani & Graveman in below expectations in terms of AAV.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nevermind:

I know folks like to fall back on the "biggest offer wins", but what if this is one of those situations where Matz saw what St. Louis offered as an organization (chance at winning, clubhouse identity, etc) and decided "you know what, I've seen enough of the Mets and want to move on, so a matching or close offer isn't worth discussing."

Cohen may feel jilted, but could be Matz wasn't going to seriously consider coming back after seeing what else was out there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Maybe instead of relying on matching you make him the offer that gets him to stay?

Exactly.  The Mets aren’t some small market team and they weren’t the incumbent.  They did not deserve a right to match and shouldn’t have banked on one if they really wanted Matz.

Man Cohen is still blabbing to every baseball writer who will listen. Shut the hell up.

The nice info is it seems by merely flattering Cohen telling him Matz wanted to stay with NYM, it coaxed an offer out of him when they were otherwise not in pursuit. Nice playbook for other agents.

"Hi Steve, my player really just wants to play with the mets. He loves your aggressive style, he thinks you are a visionary, you are our plan A and B. What do you say?"