MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What happened to him last year? Dude had three years where when he played he was great and then fell off a cliff.

From what I read he also had hamstring problems where he missed a month early in the season and then some time with "leg fatigue" in July . So problems with his lower half could've led to hitting issues. Pretty high GB rate but it's always been high even in his good years. Line drive rate was way down so there's the difference. . Nido is a very good defensive catcher and McNeil pretty fluid  LH 2nd baseman.

I guess the Sox weren't the only team with hammy issues since most here are saying Conforto's issues hitting are tied to his hammy too (although more shifting on Conforto is definitely a thing.)

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

From what I read he also had hamstring problems where he missed a month early in the season and then some time with "leg fatigue" in July . So problems with his lower half could've led to hitting issues. Pretty high GB rate but it's always been high even in his good years. Line drive rate was way down so there's the difference. . Nido is a very good defensive catcher and McNeil pretty fluid  LH 2nd baseman.

I guess the Sox weren't the only team with hammy issues since most here are saying Conforto's issues hitting are tied to his hammy too (although more shifting on Conforto is definitely a thing.)

Donka

Escobar to the Mets, $20/2 as predicted.

The New York Mets are in agreement on a two-year, $20 million contract with free-agent infielder Eduardo Escobar, a source familiar with the situation confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

Escobar, 32, is a versatile switch-hitter who can play second and third base but also played 18 games at first after being traded from the Arizona Diamondbacks to the Milwaukee Brewers last season.

Edited by caulfield12

Chicago Cubs

Sign Carlos Rodon

No, this isn't some sort of ham-handed gesture to stick it to White Sox fans. The Cubs need a starting pitcher in the worst way who misses bats. One presumes that Chicago isn't ready to dabble at the top end of the free-agent market, so that rules out Max Scherzer and probably also Robbie Ray.

Rodon is a significant injury risk, but in terms of performance, he found himself in 2021. The risk part of the equation is what makes him affordable, or at least more affordable than Scherzer, Ray and Gausman. Rodon is also just 29, so if he is entering a post-injury phase of his career, now could be the perfect time to acquire him.

Chicago White Sox

Sign Marcus Semien

The second-best second baseman in the free-agent market is Cesar Hernandez, which pretty much means that if the White Sox want to upgrade what they had at the keystone last year, they are looking at spending on Semien.

OK, there are trades. Maybe the Cubs would be willing to accept a do-over request on the Codi Heuer/Nick Madrigal/Craig Kimbrel/Ryan Tepera trade, though Tepera is a free agent, so I guess that won't work. Maybe the Guardians would part with Jose Ramirez. If that's the case, great, but who do you have to give up? Seems like the increase in payroll from just signing Semien would be worth it rather than further thinning out the Sox farm system.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32698041/one-bold-offseason-move-every-mlb-team-make

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Sorry but Mark Canha can play centerfield? 

Damn now I’m a little bummed, I thought his outfield defense was bad, he was positive in CF last year! Was a fan of him, kinda a bummer he’s off market so soon. rHH for sure, but huge OBP. Glad not to tigers.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Chicago Cubs

Sign Carlos Rodon

No, this isn't some sort of ham-handed gesture to stick it to White Sox fans. The Cubs need a starting pitcher in the worst way who misses bats. One presumes that Chicago isn't ready to dabble at the top end of the free-agent market, so that rules out Max Scherzer and probably also Robbie Ray.

Rodon is a significant injury risk, but in terms of performance, he found himself in 2021. The risk part of the equation is what makes him affordable, or at least more affordable than Scherzer, Ray and Gausman. Rodon is also just 29, so if he is entering a post-injury phase of his career, now could be the perfect time to acquire him.

Chicago White Sox

Sign Marcus Semien

The second-best second baseman in the free-agent market is Cesar Hernandez, which pretty much means that if the White Sox want to upgrade what they had at the keystone last year, they are looking at spending on Semien.

OK, there are trades. Maybe the Cubs would be willing to accept a do-over request on the Codi Heuer/Nick Madrigal/Craig Kimbrel/Ryan Tepera trade, though Tepera is a free agent, so I guess that won't work. Maybe the Guardians would part with Jose Ramirez. If that's the case, great, but who do you have to give up? Seems like the increase in payroll from just signing Semien would be worth it rather than further thinning out the Sox farm system.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32698041/one-bold-offseason-move-every-mlb-team-make

Thanks