MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He's literally got nowhere to play now if Cano comes back as the starting 2B. 

Nimmo will probably move to right. Marte in center, Canha in left. Escobar will play 3rd or 2nd. 

How come I cringe at the idea of Sox taking on Cano’s deal and dumping Keuchel.  Also, McNeil does play outfield sometimes.

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If that's the case, they should have gotten Conforto done already. 

You’d imagine the process of accepting a pillow deal first requires him and Boras exhausting their hope for a pay day with his last year being sold as an aberration.

Reality will take time if this plays out.

Edited by hi8is

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

How come I cringe at the idea of Sox taking on Cano’s deal and dumping Keuchel.  Also, McNeil does play outfield sometimes.

Right, but they have 3 outfielders and 2B/3B filled. Their depth chart literally has him as a utility guy right now. But given the Mets' injuries last year, they may try to stack up on depth this year. 

Just now, chw42 said:

The Mets just got 7 WAR for next year in one day. But it cost them $40+ million in salaries alone. Nevermind having to pay Marte when he's going to be 37 when his deal expires.  

Yep I think I’d rather just get a huge superstar for that money

• Like 1

Deadlines are cool. Good things happen when teams have a date they need to do stuff by. Now I'm not sure we do anything by then but I bet this is only the tip of the iceberg for the rest of the league. Should be a fun next few days. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’m not concerned in missing Marte for that but have concerns it’s going to raise the outfield prices… this was before looking back to compare predicted prices.

Since its in line with predictions I’m not tripping anymore.

Good call re: Conforto. I think some predictions of a pillow deal may end up being what occurs.

I knew both fangraphs and MLBTR had him taking a 1 yr pillow deal . I tried to take that into consideration because it just may be the best plan for him to get a higher contract if he can regain his mojo. However if he prefers the security of at close to $50M he may bite unless interest that Boras says exists is true. Teams could be trying to get him cheap for all we know . So I kind of settled in a place that could be tempting for him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I knew both fangraphs and MLBTR had him taking a 1 yr pillow deal . I tried to take that into consideration because it just may be the best plan for him to get a higher contract if he can regain his mojo. However if he prefers the security of at close to $50M he may bite unless interest that Boras says exists is true. Teams could be trying to get him cheap for all we know . So I kind of settled in a place that could be tempting for him.

I don’t want Conforto on a pillow contract, to be honest. 

• Like 1

Escobar at that deal to the mets hurts. The Sox could have guaranteed that third year and I’d have felt good about it. Solidified the position and left a bit to go after Rf and Sp still.

Someone else said it, but the Sox must just not like him or the other way around. It isn’t that he was the best available, but I think it may turn out that he was the best option at the price when you consider that there were a couple other spots that needed addressed.

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Escobar at that deal to the mets hurts. The Sox could have guaranteed that third year and I’d have felt good about it. Solidified the position and left a bit to go after Rf and Sp still.

Someone else said it, but the Sox must just not like him or the other way around. It isn’t that he was the best available, but I think it may turn out that he was the best option at the price when you consider that there were a couple other spots that needed addressed.

I think the Sox didn’t like his medicals.