MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

Updated for the two OF signings, Marte slightly higher AAV than anticipated, Canha 1/3 higher than anticipated, both for the predicted terms (4 and 2, respectively).

Crowdsourced or final AAV per projected 2022 fWAR  (Limited to the 34 FAs with a 2.0 or higher projected fWAR):

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/free-agent-tracker?&pos=all

Fan Graphs Top 50 FA Rank ; $ = 2022 fWAR / AAV; (Age / #AAV Years)

• 1B (2/1): 5. F. Freeman $5.1M (32 5); 29. A. Rizzo $6,4M (32 3); 28. B. Belt $8.8M (34 1).
  • 2B/SS (2): 3. M. Semien $5.1M (31 4); 12. J. Baez $10.0M (29 4).
  • SS (3): 1. C. Correa $5.8M (27 8); 2. C. Seager $6.1M (28 7); 10. T. Story $6.9M (29 6).
  • 3B (1): 30. K. Seager $6.0M (34 2).
  • OF (6/2): 21. A. Garcia $4.1M (31 2); T. Pham $4.5M (34 2); 20. K. Schwarber $5.8M (29 4); 23. M. Canha $6.0M (33 2); 9. S. Marte $6.3M (33 4); 22. M. Conforto (29 1); $6.8M; 11. N. Castellanos $7.6M (30 4); 6. K. Bryant $9.3M (30 6).
  • SP (11/6): J. Quintana $0.9M (33 1); A. Wood $4.0M (31 3); 31. S. Matz $4.4M (31 4); 13. E. Rodriguez $4.4M (29 5); 38. A. Cobb $4.6M (34 2); 17. C. Rodon $4.7M (29 4); 7. R. Ray $4.9M (30 4); D. Duffy $5.0M (33 2); 36. A. DeSclafani $5.2M (32 3); 14. K. Gausman $5.3M (31 4); 50. Y. Kikuchi $6.0M (31 1); 32. J. Gray $6.3M (30 3); 19. J. Verlander $6.9M (39 2); 8. M. Stroman $6.9M (31 4); 4. M. Scherzer $7.3M (37 3); 18. C. Kershaw $8.4M (34 4); 15. N. Syndergaard $9.1M (29 1).
Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Don’t want to go back to drawing board next offseason for a RF again.

1 year pillow contract for Conforto, then the White Sox mega prospects Cespedes and Colas will platoon in RF the following year

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, Marte and Canha signing should hopefully push Conforto’s market forward.  I also think Marte’s price sets a ceiling as he’s widely considered the superior free agent.

Something similar to the Grandal contract (4/73) has always felt right to me when it comes to Conforto

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One year isn’t worth losing the pick and international slot IMO.

I was just messing around since I see people penciling Cespedes into the lineup as soon as 2023. Seeing Marte's deal, I hope the White Sox just hang dong here and throw Conforto a similar contract to get this thing done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Something similar to the Grandal contract (4/73) has always felt right to me when it comes to Conforto

I think if Conforto can get more than the QO on a four year basis, so basically 4/$76M, he would jump all over that.  And with Marte setting the market, I don’t know how Boras can expect more than that in all honesty.  I think there’s a real chance he signs before the Dec 1st deadline now.  I also wouldn’t be surprised if a Kimbrel trade is on hold until the Sox can finalize something for RF.  Taking on Segura before you add a left-handed bat, puts Hahn in a tough spot.  If Conforto is one of our primary targets, I could see him signing and a Kimbrel trade happening in quick succession over the next couple of days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

hang dong

Is that a musical instrument similar to a gong? Not sure what technique “hang” is but I do know that there is an inverse steel hand pan instrument of the same name.

Also, no clue what musical instruments have to do whatsoever with signing Conforto.

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Is that a musical instrument similar to a gong? Not sure what technique “hang” is but I do know that there is an inverse steel hand pan instrument of the same name.

Also, no clue what musical instruments have to do whatsoever with signing Conforto.

It's not similar to the gong, but you've got the right idea. I'm talking about the skin flute. 

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

the skin flute

Is that the raw hide based woodwind which is speculated to originate from Native American cultures?

Guess they used to play it prior to beginning a hunt, specifically during a full moon. Most common hide used was that of a cow but they also are said to have constructed these from goat skins, rabbit skins, and even the buffalo.

Some speculate that this type of flute was responsible for inspiring all modern woodwinds.

Just fascinating stuff… but again, no clue what it has to do with Conforto. Is he a musician or something?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Probably just a misstype...hang in there and don't do anything too hasty or out of desperation with the market suddenly moving so fast now.

14 hours ago, Whisox05 said:

Definitely kick the tires on this one. I like this option for RF way better than Conforto or any other idea I've heard. Vaughn + Sheets ++ for Mullins? Add in Kelley or whoever else is necessary.

Of course, Vaughn might make Sheets redundant. I just thought Sheets might intrigue them being he is from Baltimore. But if you could pull something like this off, it would enable the Sox to get something cheap at 2B (like Cesar Hernandez) and spend the big offseason cash on a SP like Max. Those few moves would probably give the Sox the best roster in baseball.

Edited by Sarava

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think if Conforto can get more than the QO on a four year basis, so basically 4/$76M, he would jump all over that.  And with Marte setting the market, I don’t know how Boras can expect more than that in all honesty.  I think there’s a real chance he signs before the Dec 1st deadline now.  I also wouldn’t be surprised if a Kimbrel trade is on hold until the Sox can finalize something for RF.  Taking on Segura before you add a left-handed bat, puts Hahn in a tough spot.  If Conforto is one of our primary targets, I could see him signing and a Kimbrel trade happening in quick succession over the next couple of days.

Unless the market is fierce for Conforto I don't think he comes within $25M of that and if he's expecting that he won't be signing before Dec. 1st. He had a terrible year and if anyone is offering him QO money for 4 years it would be a coup for Conforto.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good post, hopefully we can the Conforto deal done now, especially if we can get Philly to take back Keuchel too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, Marte and Canha signing should hopefully push Conforto’s market forward.  I also think Marte’s price sets a ceiling as he’s widely considered the superior free agent.

Starling Marte is 33 years old. I think Conforto gets more than that. 

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Starling Marte is 33 years old. I think Conforto gets more than that. 

Outside of Boras blowing his horn for the interest in Conforto have you heard anything else about interest in him ?

I guess I am in the minority that thinks his bad year will drive down offers to him. I know he has a very solid track record but can you think of any precedents of a similar player his age to get a decent contract over $75M for 4 years coming off such a bad year ?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Outside of Boras blowing his horn for the interest in Conforto have you heard anything else about interest in him ?

I guess I am in the minority that thinks his bad year will drive down offers to him. I know he has a very solid track record but can you think of any precedents of a similar player his age to get a decent contract over $75M for 4 years coming off such a bad year ?

Mariners and Rangers have interest