MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With Sanchez and Frazier off the board, it seems to suggest the Semien pursuits are legit (unlikely IMO) or a Kimbrel-Segura+ trade could happen (more likely).  One way or the other, they must have a primary target in mind.

Pessimistic side says they miss out and wind up with Cesar and/or Leury?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think there's something in between those options but right now everything surrounding the Sox is a total mystery with gobs of speculation.

As of this moment I'm neither pessimistic nor optimistic on anyone. I've speculated as much as the next guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think there's something in between those options but right now everything surrounding the Sox is a total mystery with gobs of speculation.

As of this moment I'm neither pessimistic nor optimistic on anyone. I've speculated as much as the next guy.

Well, the in-between options have suddenly dwindled, so some urgency could now be justified.

Semien could have an acceptable deal from someone available for all we know, and if that were to happen what is left? Seager or Baez?

1 hour ago, beck72 said:

In that article it gives the stats of how bad he's hit in high leverage situations and how he's hit in Mets losses. You'd still want him at 5 yrs and $100 mill? 

I haven't heard many Mets fans wanting to build a winning team around Conforto. Not a guy I'd want the Sox to spend that money on. 

Not sure what stats you are referring to but the NY article states  "This leads back to Conforto, who faces an important offseason. He is 28 years old, and this may be his best chance at a decent contract. Despite a down season in 2021, Conforto has flashed an above-average bat and a capable glove in the past few years with the Mets. There is no reason to think that he will continue to have disappointing seasons"

I think the age and what we now see w Marte, $20M per year sounds reasonable.  

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, the in-between options have suddenly dwindled, so some urgency could now be justified.

Semien could have an acceptable deal from someone available for all we know, and if that were to happen what is left? Seager or Baez?

No options that people wouldn't have quarrels with I suppose if they are looking for top of the market or name players. Story I would assume wants to remain a SS.

Villar, Lux, Segura, Kemp, McMahon, Wendle, Jeff McNeil, Cavan Biggio lots of guys with varying availability and desirability.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not sure what stats you are referring to but the NY article states  "This leads back to Conforto, who faces an important offseason. He is 28 years old, and this may be his best chance at a decent contract. Despite a down season in 2021, Conforto has flashed an above-average bat and a capable glove in the past few years with the Mets. There is no reason to think that he will continue to have disappointing seasons"

I think the age and what we now see w Marte, $20M per year sounds reasonable.  

This was the article I was referring to. Different writer. 

https://risingapple.com/2021/10/10/ny-mets-michael-conforto-devils-advocate/ 

10 minutes ago, Drake Is Our Leader said:

For those that care, Bruce Levine on 670 today said that Keuchel being traded with Sox eating some of the money is one option. Then he talked about Jean Segura for some five minutes straight, but at the end called it a mostly media 'contrived' notion that he'd be coming here lol 

Bruce in a nutshell

8 minutes ago, Drake Is Our Leader said:

For those that care, Bruce Levine on 670 today said that Keuchel being traded with Sox eating some of the money is one option. Then he talked about Jean Segura for some five minutes straight, but at the end called it a mostly media 'contrived' notion that he'd be coming here lol 

Sure ,in an ideal world we get rid of Keuchel and Kimbrel and buy our way into a championship. Reality always is different.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I still think this all comes down to who the left-handed bat they plan on adding is.  If it’s Conforto or Schwarber (i.e. pure RF / DH type), then maybe they are already planning on going cheap with someone like Kemp for 2B.  If 2B is truly the focus, then maybe they’re swinging for the fences with someone Ketel Marte as a backup plan to Semien.  I really don’t expect Hernandez or Leury to be options unless multiple things go wrong.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Gotta think the plan is segura trade and SP FA. I think they are sitting out RF

They are 100% adding a left-handed bat.  So if they add Segura at 2B, they will be acquiring a LH bat for RF one way or the other.  The only possible exception is if they sign Scherzer and he eats up the bulk of our financial flexibility.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still think this all comes down to who the left-handed bat they plan on adding is.  If it’s Conforto or Schwarber (i.e. pure RF / DH type), then maybe they are already planning on going cheap with someone like Kemp for 2B.  If 2B is truly the focus, then maybe they’re swinging for the fences with someone Ketel Marte as a backup plan to Semien.  I really don’t expect Hernandez or Leury to be options unless multiple things go wrong.

Whatever they are planning, it’s time to do something. While none of them were likely to be the White Sox’s top options, it is 100% true that there are 2 fewer IF options and 1 fewer front line OF option as of the last 24 hours. Every other team out there with interest in those positions also now has fewer options, and strategically those other teams should now also respond by saying they need to get something done soon to make sure they don’t miss out. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Whatever they are planning, it’s time to do something. While none of them were likely to be the White Sox’s top options, it is 100% true that there are 2 fewer IF options and 1 fewer front line OF option as of the last 24 hours. Every other team out there with interest in those positions also now has fewer options, and strategically those other teams should now also respond by saying they need to get something done soon to make sure they don’t miss out. 

I've read rumblings of Cory Seager, Semien and Gausman seem like good candidates to sign before Dec.1, most of it from Heyman.

I don't know how logical it is with some thinking Seager gets $300M.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would wager something happens soon as a result.  But I think it’s good we haven’t seen us make a settling move yet at 2B or RF.  They need to swing big at one of those positions and right now it’s better to have flexibility.  But now that positional guys are starting to move, it will create a natural sense of urgency to get things done faster for all clubs with needs in these areas.