MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I want certain things I’m just not belligerent about them. I also clearly believe more than most in some of the pieces on this team.

I'm incredibly high on the current pieces on the team which is why I'd love for them to shove all their chips in the middle and support these guys with an influx of talent to help push them over the top and have a hell of a 2-3 year run of dominance. I'm about as optimistic as it gets for the current roster, which is why this is so enraging that the Sox sit on their hands after not trying for three+ years, not spending a dime, and promising they'd spend when the time came. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Far cry from 4 years at 180 million. This was right at the level I think most expected, so the narrative that the Sox wouldn't go to that level meant the Sox were never serious about Scherzer; which is fine, honestly. I wouldn't hate the signing, but Scherzer showed some signs of aging last year; especially before the trade to LAD. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, ron883 said:

How funny would it be if retaining Kimbrel was the big spending move of the offseason 

Kenny WIlliams: We were caught off guard. Had no idea any of these guys would sign before the deadline. Didn't expect it. We had all their presentations set up for after the New Year - decorated the United Center, the whole nine yards. We had the biggest offers on the table, we just didn't slide them across yet. It hurts.

• Haha 3

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

3/$120M is exactly what MLBTR predicted.  Honestly, I’d love for the Sox to be in this thing right now and offering those exact terms.

Yeah $40 million is not at all shocking. Cole was what, $36? With scherzer, assume your AAV is gonna be highest paid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

3/$120M is exactly what MLBTR predicted.  Honestly, I’d love for the Sox to be in this thing right now and offering those exact terms.

JR wasn't willing to pay up for Machado or Harper because he was concerned about bad money on the back end. Well, here's the perfect opportunity to sign a HOF caliber player without the risk of a high AAV being dead weight on the payoll for years & years...

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

JR wasn't willing to pay up for Machado or Harper because he was concerned about bad money on the back end. Well, here's the perfect opportunity to sign a HOF caliber player without the risk of a high AAV being dead weight on the payoll for years & years...

Agree.  Which is why when Harold said he was the Sox’s top target it made some sense.