MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Running out of front line starters and there are no second baseman like Semien.

I just meant he suggested we would be aggressive this offseason.  I don’t think the Sox would actually leak the specific targets they are after, which is a bit concerning since there aren’t any other TOR starters left at Ray.  Seems like we’ll be going the trade route there unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So if fake pursuing players sells tickets, why aren't the Sox rumors happening at all with guys that have no chance of signing here anyway? Seems like a great moment to sell tickets to all those Sox fans who appreciate us just talking to FAs.

Oh we still may hear that they had a seat at the table with Max.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Orioles, Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, Royals, Guardians, Mariners, A’s, Cubs, Brewers, Reds, Pirates, Braves, Nationals, Rockies, Dodgers and Phillies have all basically done nothing either 

Very true, but aren't the Yankees and Sawx trying to avoid luxury tax penalties? 

Just now, bmags said:

The thing that sucks IS that the free agent window is narrower, and there are still a lot of teams competing. But the good news continues to be  that what makes us better can be accomplished in different ways.

I’ll be surprised if the starting pitcher hole isn’t plugged by one of the three A’s guys available, and that won’t happen for a few months.  

Just now, fathom said:

I’ll be surprised if the starting pitcher hole isn’t plugged by one of the three A’s guys available, and that won’t happen for a few months.  

And it would be huge. 

And sorry Bassitt, Montas, who is 3rd?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I was just thinking that we’ll see a trade for Bassitt at some point in the near future. 

Edited by Tnetennba

Just now, chw42 said:

I said the Matz thing pissed Cohen off and he was gonna go all-in. If they really land Scherzer I think that counts as all-in.

Ah. I just don’t think the Mets spending is because they’re pissed about Matz. The owner just wants to win at any cost, is worth billions, and doesn’t care what it takes to sign someone he wants.

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Tigers are being very aggressive.  Could be tough competition for the Sox in the Central, particularly if we don’t improve.

Yeah the thing is though Tucker Barnhart and Eduardo Rodriguez really doesn’t push them pass the Sox yet. They need to start adding good positional players.

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just meant he suggested we would be aggressive this offseason.  I don’t think the Sox would actually leak the specific targets they are after, which is a bit concerning since there aren’t any other TOR starters left at Ray.  Seems like we’ll be going the trade route there unfortunately.

Rodon is looking more and more like a possibility .

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah, I really think we might see Conforto, Kimbrel for Segura + Marchan, and prospects for A’s starter be the bulk of our remaining moves.

One thing I didn’t realize is we are dangerously close to the luxury tax under the current CBA ($22.6M below).  I could see us pushing a $190M cash payroll, but Jerry paying any sort of luxury tax seems questionable at best.  Obviously that threshold could change in the upcoming CBA, but that’s an angle I was never concerned about until now.