MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Baron said:

That's true. My favorite part is there were always multiple discussions going on. Some relevant to Manny some not but always 20-30 people on. Made getting my mind off work easy. 

I also remember for at least a week afterward there was a compulsion to post “Manny is that you?” into just about any thread possible.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why do the Sox have to continue to trade assets (they're running out of ones of value) to supplement the core? Why do we continue to pretend that it's exciting that the Sox insist on trading assets to fill holes instead of just spending money as they promised?

I don’t really care. It won’t matter if their drafting is shit anyway (it might be, looks like it). Money is an asset, players are an asset. Bassitt/Montas are good, that’s all I give a shit about. If we sign Ray we are using prospect capital too.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So we think this is it for the night and the rest of the fireworks will happen tomorrow?

I hope to god my workday stays light tomorrow.

It will be whatever is most annoying including doing nothing.

18 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It’s only November 28th and seriously like 5 teams have been active. Mets, Rangers, Blue Jays, Angels, and Tigers.

We’ll make moves. Chill.

The problem is what moves ? What FA or 2 or 3 that we can realistically expect the Sox to pay the most for the fits in the LH hitter upgrade we thought was a possibility . Conforto , then who Rodon ? Can we expect to be in on Ray ? Remember there's still a bunch of teams going to all be scrambling should the lockout last all winter. Then we miss out on those FA agents and what ? Then we trade Vaughn, trade Eloy, trade Sheets trade every and any promising minor league player we have left ? There's still the Kimbrel thing to take care of.

Some here seemed shocked people are "freaking out" when we all heard the Sox were going to be aggressive and significantly add to payroll. Everybody stans for the team and whips us into a frenzy, then nothing. It's basically been now or never meaning hello lockout, goodbye moves until it's over? It's a lot to swallow and there's tomorrow to do something and then nothing except a lockout giving us all time to steam even more .

I'm not freaking out but I sure am disappointed now as I'm sure you are too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

How many teams only supplement their cores via free agency?

Pal, you were the one saying they had to land, in FA, Conforto and a good SP or the off-season was a bust.

Now you've moved the goal posts to Conforto and trade for another guy coming off a career year at 32 years old who will be 33 next season.

Of all contenders, the Sox have spent the least money on a player than any others. They already tried to supplement their core with trades. Only one of those moves has "worked."

The point of not spending for years and rebuilding was to run high payrolls and sign big money players to help the core. That's literally what the teams f'ing leadership said.

Why are Sox fans so broken that they have convinced themselves free agency is a bad thing and all these other teams are idiots for spending on great players. SMH

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

That's true. My favorite part is there were always multiple discussions going on. Some relevant to Manny some not but always 20-30 people on. Made getting my mind off work easy. 

I’d wake up, see there were three pages of new stuff....get hopeful, and then read about completely pointless stuff and be annoyed 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh?

Yes, and the biggest thing is developing the next wave of players when they won't keep some of their existing core. 

Keeping your top prospects more often than not is important. 

It is really disappointing how quickly the Sox went from a top 10 farm to the worst in the league. That shouldn't happen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I also remember for at least a week afterward there was a compulsion to post “Manny is that you?” into just about any thread possible.

Yes there was lol. Also the discussion about if the San Diego Padres actually had money or if they were broke. Deep dive into their financials. Was like an episode of 60 Minutes. 

Just now, hi8is said:

Not much.

But we are using a lot more money. 

There is a separate track in the Sox that will guarantee failure or steep drop off like the cubs and that is if Shirley sucks and Paddy finds nothing in next few years. We can’t overcome those pipelines being dry.

Just now, Baron said:

Yes there was lol. Also the discussion about if the San Diego Padres actually had money or if they were broke. Deep dive into their financials. Was like an episode of 60 Minutes. 

Reminds me of the good old days of relating our roster to random stuff like The Mars Volta song Drunkships on Lanterns.

Just now, Baron said:

Don’t forget discussions about Lake Michigan tides and if he’d be able to push a dead body away from the city.  I’ll go back and read some of the PM that were sent during that time to see the crazy rumors.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

There is a separate track in the Sox that will guarantee failure or steep drop off like the cubs and that is if Shirley sucks and Paddy finds nothing in next few years. We can’t overcome those pipelines being dry.

Truth.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Why do you care how much money is used? 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I will gladly take 6 competitive years for this core like the Cubs had. Anything outside of that seems difficult because this farm system sucks.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Don’t forget discussions about Lake Michigan tides and if he’d be able to push a dead body away from the city.  I’ll go back and read some of the PM that were sent during that time to see the crazy rumors.

Oh my goodness 😂 I completely forgot about that. Someone needs to repost the link again for the thread.