MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

We actually only solved one of our needs so far and that’s a reliever but we need to add more. Second base, right field, starting pitching and backup catcher are still positions that need to addressed. If the season started today, we would be fielding the same team as last year. 

Agreed. We didnt solve anything.  We replaced a reliever that is destined to move to the rotation to replace Rodon.  We still have Tepera out there to lose.   And eventually Kimbrel will be sent away.  The bullpen is far from being finished.  Hopefully they keep moving forward/.

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2

There were 2 if not 3 times during Machado that it appeared imminent with ESPN banner headlines....that was the most frustrating part, yet not being able to close the deal.  It was like the ultimate tease, and it went on and on and on and on with no conclusion.  At least with Lincoln Riley saying "he's not going to LSU," it took less than 48 for the guillotine to fall on the heads of Sooners' fans.

I can just imagine all the excuses we'll be hearing for the next 3-4 months.

Wouldn't go to that 7th year with Semien.

Won't go 5 years with Conforto "because they don't feel comfortable."

But we targeted the RIGHT guys, it's just the price points were all wrong.  "We didn't anticipate the going rates per our own internal calculations on anticipated fWAR to be so lofty."

Oh where, oh where did our "unprecedented financial flexibility" go???

As it stands right now, some are trying to extend Cease and Kopech...when we still have Kimbrel and Keuchel on the books, and two bigger priorities on our roster to deal with.

One would have to assume Giolito is as good as gone, and Kopech is unlikely to get an extension as well with his own TJ and extreme velocity history.   Same with Cease.

Other than TA (who will be a FA at roughly the same age as Semien, and one would think asking for at least 7 years himself)...where are they going to spend the money, exactly?

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I will gladly take 6 competitive years for this core like the Cubs had. Anything outside of that seems difficult because this farm system sucks.

The core needs to prove they are a core and start fulfilling their promise then. Right now we need a major fluffer to jump start the core.

Moncada for MVP and then he can't hit for a higher slugging than Madrigal but woo he's fields so good and gets so many walks and Madrigal sucks and there goes that draft pick for nothing.

How you even believe in another 6 years of "the core" is beyond me. All I keep hearing is Robert can patrol the whole outfield ! Moncada will be an MVP. Kopech will be great. Eloy will be a hitting monster. It better happen damn soon because the stans for the team keep getting their way and Madgrigal was traded and yay we still have Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet and they were too valuable to offer for Burnes.

Let's all blame Covid for not spending last off season which created the need for Kimbrel. Next year it will be the lockout the lockout, Cohen Cohen ! The year after that it will be the core is too expensive now and we have no starting pitching.

And worst of all Jerry is in charge of it all.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The core needs to prove they are a core and start fulfilling their promise then. Right now we need a major fluffer to jump start the core.

Moncada for MVP and then he can't hit for a higher slugging than Madrigal but woo he's fields so good and gets so many walks and Madrigal sucks and there goes that draft pick for nothing.

How you even believe in another 6 years of "the core" is beyond me. All I keep hearing is Robert can patrol the whole outfield ! Moncada will be an MVP. Kopech will be great. Eloy will be a hitting monster. It better happen damn soon because the stans for the team keep getting their way and Madgrigal was traded and yay we still have Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet and they were too valuable to offer for Burnes.

Let's all blame Covid for not spending last off season which created the need for Kimbrel. Next year it will be the lockout the lockout, Cohen Cohen ! The year after that it will be the core is too expensive now and we have no starting pitching.

A lot of people need to hear this. 

"The Core" isn't that good yet or isn't as good as people think they are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Isn’t this dude a fraud or am I mistaking him with someone else?

You’re thinking of another Michael… though his name being a phonetic “my cock” doesn’t seem to bode well for credibility.

Edited by hi8is
  • Love 1

Just now, fathom said:

Yep some players are overrated on here. Yoan is an above average player but is disappointing, IMO

It's not just him. 

Robert only played 2 months and people forget his September 2020 and Eloy has zero plate discipline though the power is huge. 

Neither player has played 2 full seasons worth of baseball yet and both have looked terrible at times. Assuming both are what they've been at their best is premature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4