MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It's not just him. 

Robert only played 2 months and people forget his September 2020 and Eloy has zero plate discipline though the power is huge. 

Neither player has played 2 full seasons worth of baseball yet and both have looked terrible at times. Assuming both are what they've been at their best is premature. 

Robert looked like the best player on the planet last year year and Eloy was amazing during 2020 (SSS).  Your pessimism knows no bounds.

• Like 5

It's not just him. 

Robert only played 2 months and people forget his September 2020 and Eloy has zero plate discipline though the power is huge. 

Neither player has played 2 full seasons worth of baseball yet and both have looked terrible at times. Assuming both are what they've been at their best is premature. 

Robert made meaningful adjustments to his swing that fixed the reasons why he slumped so hard in September of 2020. He's still not anywhere near a finished product at the plate and he probably isn't as good as the numbers indicated after he came back, but I think he's far beyond the struggles he had in late 2020. I still think the biggest obstacle to him becoming Cuban Mike Trout is his health. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Robert looked like the best player on the planet last year year and Eloy was amazing during 2020 (SSS).  Your pessimism knows no bounds.

Both of those are SSS problems though. 

I've seen both Robert and Eloy look like world beaters and terrible over long stretches. There's not enough information about either player to know what they are/aren't yet. 

Robert's 2 months when he returned from injury were really promising, but yet in April he had 1 HR. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

You can look at his BABIP and think he was lucky, but he basically halved his strikeout % from 2020 and made way more contact. In the zone and out of it. There was a ton to like about what Robert did after he came back from his injury. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Robert is the guy that gives me the most hope for the core being a title contender.

I think Robert & Eloy will both be star hitters when it’s all said and done, but need to keep them (especially Eloy) healthy.  Still not sure what to make of Moncada yet, although I do think COVID sapped his strength some.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You can look at his BABIP and think he was lucky, but he basically halved his strikeout % from 2020 and made way more contact. In the zone and out of it. There was a ton to like about what Robert did after he came back from his injury. 

I don't disagree, but there hasn't been enough time for AL pitchers to make adjustments to his adjustments yet. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Robert & Eloy will both be star hitters when it’s all said and done, but need to keep them (especially Eloy) healthy.  Still not sure what to make of Moncada yet, although I do think COVID sapped his strength some.

Probably had to do more with the ball than COVID. Other than him looking like he partied too hard the night before at times, I don't think long COVID was the reason Yoan couldn't hit homers last year. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is just stupid man.  Arguably the most physically gifted player in baseball who is known for working his ass off actually makes substantial improvements in his second season and you assume it’s all SSS luck?  How in the world do you live this way?

• Like 2

I'm so sick of being let down every single offseason by whacky moves and general unwillingness to offer any sort of big contracts to players.

For me, Trevor Story is likely the biggest value of the season. At only age 29 (relative to Semien age 31, Starlin Marte age 33) he offers a bit of free agent youth and he's coming off a down year and also has the negativity around him with Colorado. However, this guy has posted elite seasons. The only downside for us is that he is a right handed batter and we don't really need that. 

Corey Seager (age 28) would be the best possible free agent get we could ask for, however I'm not sure if he'd play 2b for us and he's also more likely to get an insane contract I think. 

Even Javier Baez (age 29) would be an awesome get for us with his electric attitude and defensive abilities at 2b or SS. Again, being right handed isn't ideal for our team set up, but he'd definitely solve 2b for us.

Right now, I'm really hoping the White Sox surprise us and get involved on one of these three. Im sick of them not spending and I'm sick of our hole at 2b.

Pairing one of them with an OF like Castellanos or more likely Conforto would make the offseason grade a solid A or A+. 

Adding those additions with a decent/good SP and maybe Tepera? A+.

What do I fully expect? I expect them to sign tepera, find some off-the-wall 2b journeyman contract, and sign a pretty awful OF to fill the holes. My expectations are pretty much a "D" or "F" offseason grade.

It sucks, probably the worst thing about being a White Sox Fan.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is just stupid man.  Arguably the most physically gifted player in baseball who is known for working his ass off actually makes substantial improvements in his second season and you assume it’s all SSS luck?  How in the world do you live this way?

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree, but there hasn't been enough time for AL pitchers to make adjustments to his adjustments yet. 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm so sick of being let down every single offseason by whacky moves and general unwillingness to offer any sort of big contracts to players.

For me, Trevor Story is likely the biggest value of the season. At only age 29 (relative to Semien age 31, Starlin Marte age 33) he offers a bit of free agent youth and he's coming off a down year and also has the negativity around him with Colorado. However, this guy has posted elite seasons. The only downside for us is that he is a right handed batter and we don't really need that. 

Corey Seager (age 28) would be the best possible free agent get we could ask for, however I'm not sure if he'd play 2b for us and he's also more likely to get an insane contract I think. 

Even Javier Baez (age 29) would be an awesome get for us with his electric attitude and defensive abilities at 2b or SS. Again, being right handed isn't ideal for our team set up, but he'd definitely solve 2b for us.

Right now, I'm really hoping the White Sox surprise us and get involved on one of these three. Im sick of them not spending and I'm sick of our hole at 2b.

Pairing one of them with an OF like Castellanos or more likely Conforto would make the offseason grade a solid A or A+. 

Adding those additions with a decent/good SP and maybe Tepera? A+.

What do I fully expect? I expect them to sign tepera, find some off-the-wall 2b journeyman contract, and sign a pretty awful OF to fill the holes. My expectations are pretty much a "D" or "F" offseason grade.

It sucks, probably the worst thing about being a White Sox Fan.

I doubt Javy or Story would want to play 2B when they're better defensively than TA is at SS. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Probably had to do more with the ball than COVID. Other than him looking like he partied too hard the night before at times, I don't think long COVID was the reason Yoan couldn't hit homers last year. 

His hard hit and exit velocity rates went from elite in 2019 to average the last two years.  In 2019 every time he made contact it looked he was crushing the ball whereas it didn’t appear that way the last two years.

• Like 1