MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

Hey if we don't do anything today even I will start to get pissed. But the upcoming CBA negotiations is going to test the patience of all of us not to mention free agency continuing after. 

If nothing happens before the lockout, this board is going to be a hellscape of negativity for two solid months while there's a freeze on any possible moves that might be coming after the new CBA (trades, Schwarber, etc)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baron said:

Hey if we don't do anything today even I will start to get pissed. But the upcoming CBA negotiations is going to test the patience of all of us not to mention free agency continuing after. 

Yeah I just don’t want them going into the lockout with just Graveman signed. I would like for them to have atleast one of RF or 2B addressed. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

If nothing happens before the lockout, this board is going to be a hellscape of negativity for two solid months while there's a freeze on any possible moves that might be coming after the new CBA (trades, Schwarber, etc)

Absolutely. Plus it may even be longer than two months. I think these CBA negotiations are going to be nasty. I remember during the 2010 NFL CBA negotiations it looked like no end was in sight and most fans were turning on the players for not conceding. But this go around(different sport too) I have to remind myself that these guys are doing this to better the lives even after their playing days are over. Sometimes that gets lost while they are negotiating. 

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not lowball, but Max?

I never expected the Sox to have a chance with him. He had West coast written all over him IMO. Just seems like the Sox way of operating the FA market is hurting them, as usual. I’m concerned we haven’t heard anything from anyone regarding their pursuits or lack thereof.

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I have to remind myself that these guys are doing this to better the lives even after their playing days are over. Sometimes that gets lost while they are negotiating. 

MLB has LONG shelf live though. This isn't the NFL and 2 year career averages with a crippled body. MLB players with a financial planner can turn their guaranteed contracts into lucrative business ownership. The big hang up for the CBA seems like it's going to be getting higher value contracts for younger players...but that is really hard since sometimes it takes 4-5 years for a player to reach their true effectiveness, where in the NFL and NBA you reach your playable expectations by year 2...and the stars start immediately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

MLB has LONG shelf live though. This isn't the NFL and 2 year career averages with a crippled body. MLB players with a financial planner can turn their guaranteed contracts into lucrative business ownership. The big hang up for the CBA seems like it's going to be getting higher value contracts for younger players...but that is really hard since sometimes it takes 4-5 years for a player to reach their true effectiveness, where in the NFL and NBA you reach your playable expectations by year 2...and the stars start immediately. 

Absolutely and a good point. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

lol exactly. It's part of the process, along with the beginning phase where they trick themselves into believing a huge signing is possible.

Phew, we didn't get that really talented player. Thank god, I wouldn't want to possibly have a bad contract in 2027! Think about Jerry, his family needs to eat!

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Excited for another day of Sox fans to tell us how we dodged a bullet by not signing X player because he costs too much money.

My day is going to be even better because not only am I excited for what you described, but I am also excited to read your responses to those fans. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Few, we didn't get that really talented player. Thank god, I wouldn't want to possibly have a bad contract in 2027! Think about Jerry, his family needs to eat!

Thank God our payroll won't be an issue in 2028 and we will have the flexibility to sign a big fish.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Excited for another day of Sox fans to tell us how we dodged a bullet by not signing X player because he costs too much money.

I'm rarely (though sometimes) relieved about missing out on a signing because of money.  But I do always try to remind myself that the "offseason winner" big free agent splashes rarely work out even though they seem like blindingly obvious successes at the time.  I also try to remind myself that those who wanted us to play Padre and chase last season's big free agent prizes (including myself at times) were spectacularly, extravagantly wrong.