MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sadly have a very busy work day ahead. Won't be able to applaud those fiscally conservative fans until later tonight. Pretty heart broken about it. 

In all honesty, I don't think there are as many fans as you think who were claiming "this will be the year" that we sign the big free agents. The issue is that once the talk started regarding our payroll possibly increasing to about $200M, people started to get their hopes up. But in reality, it doesn't take much to raise that payroll to $200M. 

Were people getting their hopes up that we would finally raise the payroll?  Absolutely.  But does that necessarily mean their hopes were high for one of the big names? I don't think so.

If you polled everybody here, I'd say at least 90% did NOT think we would sign Semien. Same with Scherzer. 

Conforto?  Absolutely, I think at least half of us (myself included) believe we will sign Conforto. 

56 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Stallings catches against lefties, Grandal against righties. Grandal and Sheets platoon at DH. 

Yeah but where does (do), Eloy and Vaughn fit in? At least from one POV, Sheets and Vaughn can be viewed as an either/or situation. Stallings  - yes, but the DH is still a juggling show.

I feel like @fathom has a good vibes meter for free agents.

He was quick to point out that Grandal had the bad vibes. He points to Segura, Conforto having bad vibes.

Castellanos has the good vibes.

I don't know what it ultimately means toward winning but he definitely has a good feel on what to expect and good at foreshadowing which players people will hate.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sadly have a very busy work day ahead. Won't be able to applaud those fiscally conservative fans until later tonight. Pretty heart broken about it. 

Fiscally conservative vs Delusional fans. 

Anyone thinking the Sox were breaking the bank in free agency continues to play the part of being delusional. 

Enjoy the heart break. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Anyone thinking the Sox were breaking the bank in free agency continues to play the part of being delusional. 

Enjoy the heart break. 

Thank goodness your here to set us down the right path. What a privilege. 

20 minutes ago, wegner said:

That's really an unfair assessment of the situation.  Rick might just have been waiting to see if Conforto or his agent was offering a cyber Monday deal....don't criticize the guy for being budget conscious.

I feel like RH might be checking Conforto’s Instagram to see which current MLB players he grew up with. 

• Haha 1

Since this morning already sucks, quick hypothetical:

How much would you pay to have basically mirrored access to Rick Hahn's work phone but you are under a strict NDA and can't discuss with anyone.

Would you even do that? Would you pay for the privelege. You can still talk white sox but you must always post in vague generalities or only discuss what's happened.

It's basically Goethe's faust of our time.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Since this morning already sucks, quick hypothetical:

How much would you pay to have basically mirrored access to Rick Hahn's work phone but you are under a strict NDA and can't discuss with anyone.

Would you even do that? Would you pay for the privelege. You can still talk white sox but you must always post in vague generalities or only discuss what's happened.

It's basically Goethe's faust of our time.

I couldn't do it. 

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

Thank goodness your here to set us down the right path. What a privilege. 

But since when have the Sox ever played anything other than a mid-market team prioritizing a best-bang-for-the buck approach? I don't dismiss this kind of philosophy, but in order to get it to pay off the organization has to be both efficient and effective. Something the Sox have a sketchy record on. 
There is little reason to think that the Sox are going to make the big splash in FA. The key word being 'make'.

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Enjoy the heart break. 

Enjoy when Giolito gets traded or walks because the same fiscally conservative team decides that they cant meet his contract needs.  Wait for that to rinse and repeat as our players get to their UFA dates.  We have been good at locking up younger players and buying a few of their FA years from them.  Eventually those dates come back.  Well dont worry we have a fully stocked minor league system to replace them, oh wait.  We dont do that minor league thing all that well.  Well we can lean on the international free agents. Oh wait, we traded away international money as part of our fiscal conservatism.   At least JR can bring his fortune to the next plane of existence.  

To compete for at world series.

They need another front line starter.  

They need two more relievers after they trade Kimbrel away.

They need a 2nd baseman that is a major league quality starter.

They need a RF just like the 2nd baseman.  

This team got rocked in the first round.  Lets stop acting like this is some sort of team of destiny just waiting to collect its trophy.  Its a flawed team that hasnt been able to beat teams above .500 for two years now.  Luckily they play in a crappy division.  So that gets us into the dance for the time being. I didnt think this rebuild was hinging on "Hey anything can happen in October".   Our minor league system is not going to sustain this.  We dont have enough difference makers there.  So its either spend or just hope for the best.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Sometimes overpaying means that your needs are not worth the contract because you already have a pretty damn good team.............because you may be able to get someone at a better cost who fits your team and where you are better.

I feel like this is where the bar has been the past couple years. At some point "pretty damn good" isn't good enough anymore. Take the next step.

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Sometimes overpaying means that your needs are not worth the contract because you already have a pretty damn good team.............because you may be able to get someone at a better cost who fits your team and where you are better.

Haven't we already tried this approach enough times?

It's going to be hard to get true impact players without what we're describing as "overpaying" for them. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single contract for a star or major impact player that's been described as team friendly or fiscally smart (extensions notwithstanding).