MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I love the “first” shoutouts.  My absolute favorite part of the baseball offseason is the whole farce that there are scoops going on or actual investigative journalism.  

And then the people faking to be a part of the already fake thing.  

It’s priceless. 

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Insider news: Well we really thought Scherzer was going to sign with us but our team is on the field. Lol

No rationale fan thought this.  Nor does any rationale Sox fan see them investing over $150M for a player on the wrong side of 30.  Whether you like it or not that is the philosophy of the organization.  

How often does aiming really high in free agency pan out for teams that are not the LA Dodgers? 

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Enjoy when Giolito gets traded or walks because the same fiscally conservative team decides that they cant meet his contract needs.  Wait for that to rinse and repeat as our players get to their UFA dates.  We have been good at locking up younger players and buying a few of their FA years from them.  Eventually those dates come back.  Well dont worry we have a fully stocked minor league system to replace them, oh wait.  We dont do that minor league thing all that well.  Well we can lean on the international free agents. Oh wait, we traded away international money as part of our fiscal conservatism.   At least JR can bring his fortune to the next plane of existence.  

To compete for at world series.

They need another front line starter.  

They need two more relievers after they trade Kimbrel away.

They need a 2nd baseman that is a major league quality starter.

They need a RF just like the 2nd baseman.  

This team got rocked in the first round.  Lets stop acting like this is some sort of team of destiny just waiting to collect its trophy.  Its a flawed team that hasnt been able to beat teams above .500 for two years now.  Luckily they play in a crappy division.  So that gets us into the dance for the time being. I didnt think this rebuild was hinging on "Hey anything can happen in October".   Our minor league system is not going to sustain this.  We dont have enough difference makers there.  So its either spend or just hope for the best.  

I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy.  

I honestly think we are much better than we played in the Astros series and health was one of our biggest downfalls this past season. 

I also think that there is room to grow for many of your young players (Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Moncada) and what we saw last season is not the ceiling for everyone of these guys. 

I also think that our current starting rotation situation is in way better shape than many want to give credit for.   I'd love to have another frontline starter, but that's a luxury at this point.  

Invest in the bullpen.  Trade Kimbrel for a 2B.   I'm fine with with Vaughn in RF.  Extend TA and Giollito. 

Just now, bmags said:

one thing that the last bit of notes from mlb writers has made clear is that the non-tendered players will have zero chance to sign before lockout, so it really was just help to provide clarity for them once offseason resumes.

Yeah that kinda sucks. I posted in that one thread about how it would have been cool if that deadline as today.

17 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

No rationale fan thought this.  Nor does any rationale Sox fan see them investing over $150M for a player on the wrong side of 30.  Whether you like it or not that is the philosophy of the organization.  

How often does aiming really high in free agency pan out for teams that are not the LA Dodgers? 

OMG were all gonna die.

59 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy.  

I honestly think we are much better than we played in the Astros series and health was one of our biggest downfalls this past season. 

I also think that there is room to grow for many of your young players (Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Moncada) and what we saw last season is not the ceiling for everyone of these guys. 

I also think that our current starting rotation situation is in way better shape than many want to give credit for.   I'd love to have another frontline starter, but that's a luxury at this point.  

Invest in the bullpen.  Trade Kimbrel for a 2B.   I'm fine with with Vaughn in RF.  Extend TA and Giollito. 

I think health is tough to judge. Covid issues aside, every team seems to have players on the IL for extended periods. We know  the White Sox were really hit hard w Eloy Grandal and Robert. Then you see in the Playoffs where  teams had  pitchers just returning from stints on the IL or out for the playoff and constant juggling of rotations. The Braves outfield woes and the mini-rebuild they were forced to do. Yankees had a string of injury issues all year.  We saw big name pitchers like Verlander, Sale and Scherzer all prevented from being effective in the Playoffs.

Dr Andrews probably has statues of Tommy John outside his facilities in Birmingham and Pensacola. 

Edited by SCCWS

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For a day supposed to be filled with non-stop insanity, we’re off to a very ruggish start outside the Scherzer stuff that was basically wrapped up last night.

Most of the agents are just getting up after celebrating last night. 

• Like 1