MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I still don't see how starting pitching is our biggest weakness.

2B by far is the biggest issue and RF right behind it (although if I have to live with Vaughn there then so be it). 

Since we have a cheap owner, that's where we need to concentrate in using whatever "limited" resources these clowns have. 

Pitching wins in the playoffs. Lynn’s health doesn’t look so great heading into a rushed extension, and Ray and Gausman are solid playoff starters.

Giolito Ray Kopech and Lynn/Cease + Vaughn/Sheets/Deadline RF is far more formidable in the playoffs than a team without Ray but with Conforto.

In terms of 2B, the remaining FA options are mediocre at best, there is nothing to prioritize. They also need to fight off Pittsburgh and Detroit for Leury Garcia’s services, or settle for 120 games of Yolmer Sanchez.

• Haha 1

The reality is Hahn said the upcoming CBA would not impact things for the Sox and it would be business as usual.  My gut tells me the budget is probably closer to $180M and that means we only have room to one large signing unfortunately.  Sucks if true, but I really don’t think Hahn would like about his ability to make moves right now.

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Remember the idea that the purse strings were going to fly open because JR was ready to win and get TLR another WS to make up for firing him.  

It seems like it is turning out that my worst fear of Tony was that he was in lieu of spending seems to be coming true.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The reality is Hahn said the upcoming CBA would not impact things for the Sox and it would be business as usual.  My gut tells me the budget is probably closer to $180M and that means we only have room to one large signing unfortunately.  Sucks if true, but I really don’t think Hahn would like about his ability to make moves right now.

We already signed Graveman and that’s it? 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You are probably right. Keuchel has really hamstrung us too. Geriatric Jerry needs to go

Of the players who signed, who does everyone think the Sox were going to sign at the price they signed? Scherzer, no way. Semien....maybe but 7/175 is a lot to give a 2B who is 31 years old, and I've been told 2B are easy to find. Gray? Who cares. Does anyone really trust Rpbbie Ray for 5 years? There are still more realistic targets out there, but I'm not going to freak out JR didn't go Steve Cohen on Max. That is just nuts. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The reality is, giving this team the benefit of the doubt on spending money or operating as they should operate is laughable and that much is confirmed every single off-season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

No I think he means one more big signing. 

Exactly, and Hahn basically said this at his end of season press conference.  It seems painfully obvious to me the plan is Conforto, Kimbre for Segura & Marchan, and trade for Bassitt or A’s / Red’s pitcher.  That can work financially.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Watching Ray and Gausman go elsewhere on reasonable deals has me thinking that the only "big" FA signing will be RF, be it Conforto, Joc, or a dumpster dive.  Pitching and 2B will be addressed via trade.  And we can probably kiss Vaughn goodbye.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The reality is, giving this team the benefit of the doubt on spending money or operating as they should operate is laughable and that much is confirmed every single off-season.

Who is giving them the benefit of the doubt?  We should spend like a legit major market franchise and I’ve routinely called Jerry out for refusing to spend money to make money.  I just speculating what’s likely given current ownership and the budget they’ve likely set.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, and Hahn basically said this at his end of season press conference.  It seems painfully obvious to me the plan is Conforto, Kimbre for Segura & Marchan, and trade for Bassitt or A’s / Red’s pitcher.  That can work financially.

This really is looking like our best case scenario at this juncture.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's possible they completely misread Kimbrel's market, and that is hamstringing the team. That would be a monumental mistake, but it's possible. 

It’s possible, but I doubt Harold would be ripping them for that since he seemed confident Kimbrel could be moved.  Maybe he’s implying they thought Scherzer or Semien would go for a lot less than what they got?  The only other free agents we missed on were Gausman and Ray and those deals were super reasonable.