MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

Sure, I get that, but there were clear deficiencies the Sox showed which led to an incredibly bad first round exit, so I don't see the downside in improving the roster. 

Adding star free agents at every position doesn’t guarantee the team that will finish last in October. 

Edited by maloney.adam

32 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Do people honestly think the Sox are going with Leury or Mendick/Romy at 2B? It's okay to be frustrated but lets not get ridiculous. 

No, but if they settle with a Cesar Hernandez type and don’t upgrade RF in the process. That’s a complete failure.

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the process is bad. I think they're one of the best teams in the American League regardless though. 

They are obviously a playoff caliber team, but without additions a lot of us believe they will continuously be a first round exit which has been the case the past two years. 

We joke about how fans are stupid but in fact sox should hire me just so I could tell them that they are misreading the market and had they done that in 2019 by 2022 I would be one of 40 special assistants to the Vice President's in the org with my success.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

Not asking for stars, just literally filling out the roster with competent players. 

Do you think Jorge Soler, Eddie Rosario and Joc Pederson are competent players and have they signed with anyone yet? Did they not help the Braves win the World Series this year? Here’s a better question, do you think Michael Conforto is a competent player?

Edited by maloney.adam

the team has said they need to improve. They will improve the roster. It might not be today or tomorrow. It might be in March, but so what?  The Sox have won the winter a couple of times, and what happened? It's a good team. There is room for a lot of guys to grow, and hopefully they add the right pieces, but they will add pieces.

• Thanks 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Do you think Jorge Soler, Eddie Rosario and Joc Pederson are competent players and have they signed with anyone yet? Did they not help the Braves win the World Series this year? Here’s a better question, do you think Michael Conforto is a competent player?

100%, and if the sox sign any one of them, I'll be satisfied, but that hasn't happened yet 

We don't need to add stars at every spot but man I will be disappointed if we finally get that Joc/Engel platoon. I wouldn't consider Conforto a star player but a good player that fits a big need. Is it possible signing him will be the biggest contract given out by the Sox in history? Sure, but that's not really saying a lot.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fair enough man. I need to just stay off the internet. I don't have time for angst-ridden White Sox fans with a division favorite. They need to make a few moves. It'll never be enough though. 

This.  Sox fans thrive off this shit.  No one of note off the board was a realistic fit.  Yet this place and Sox twitter is burning down.  Big time yawn.  Talk to me when ST is approaching if we still haven't made any meaningful additions.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

the team has said they need to improve. They will improve the roster. It might not be today or tomorrow. It might be in March, but so what?  The Sox have won the winter a couple of times, and what happened? It's a good team. There is room for a lot of guys to grow, and hopefully they add the right pieces, but they will add pieces.

While I agree, there isn’t much starting pitching left, so hopefully that wasn’t a big part of their plan.  Just frustrating to hear they misread the market…if that’s true hopefully it doesn’t cost us.

11 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

One positive thing from this offseason is the lack of made up shit from "White Sox Insiders." 

No silly emoji eyes and no silly egg hunts for baby booties.

Even Hector Gomez gave up on screwing with our emotions. 

Oh, it's definitely out there it you want to look for it. It's just that there are fewer posters sharing every "nugget of wisdom" the foodies et al drop.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

This.  Sox fans thrive off this shit.  No one of note off the board was a realistic fit.  Yet this place and Sox twitter is burning down.  Big time yawn.  Talk to me when ST is approaching if we still haven't made any meaningful additions.  

This is a pretty subjective thing to say.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah there's definitely still a chance we can have a good off-season. Let's reel in Conforto today to at least get one need filled.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I agree, there isn’t much starting pitching left, so hopefully that wasn’t a big part of their plan.  Just frustrating to hear they misread the market…if that’s true hopefully it doesn’t cost us.

ding ding ding. 

We can say this stuff, but I'm also not blind and while I am capable of making nice and improved rosters - the sox are much less creative than me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

This is a pretty subjective thing to say.

I don't see Scherzer at $43.5M AAV or Sox smashing their biggest FA contract ever for Robby Ray as realistic fits when we already have one of the best rotations in the game. So I don't find it all that subjective - I find it realistic.  

• Like 1