MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Some fans lack of understanding that the Sox operate within a budget and likely always will (even once JR is gone) is equally maddening.  You're getting mad at something that was never going to happen anyway.  Sox have ~$170M+ committed to this team as is.  No way they're going over $200M.  Only so many dollars to go around. 

If whatever was posted yesterday about then having a budget of $180 mill is true then I guess we can kiss the Conforto dream good bye.

Just now, hi8is said:

Public Service Announcement:

For those unfamiliar, Soxtalk is highly bipolar. When we are a signing or a trade… the pendulum will swing back to the “World Beaters Unite” sentiment.

Given the nature of Soxtalk I don't believe the pendulum will ever truly swing that high the other way 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Some fans lack of understanding that the Sox operate within a budget and likely always will (even once JR is gone) is equally maddening.  You're getting mad at something that was never going to happen anyway.  Sox have ~$170M+ committed to this team as is.  No way they're going over $200M.  Only so many dollars to go around. 

This x 100. 

All the madness and bitching going on here is as if folks just started following this team last year. 

The self imposed Salary constraints are inexcusable, but that's how it has been since I have been following this team which basically has been since Reinsdorf and Einhorn acquired it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Given the nature of Soxtalk I don't believe the pendulum will ever truly swing that high the other way 

Yea - it just drifts that way temporarily until we win a World Series again. 😆

These blow ups of doom and gloom are so predictable and pretty hysterical to look at from a birds eye view.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm really interested to see what Trevor Story does.  Is someone going to give him a multiyear deal or is he willing to move to 2B and take a 1yr/$20M prove it contract.  It sure worked out well for Marcus Semien.

Is that something we'd consider?

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm really interested to see what Trevor Story does.  Is someone going to give him a multiyear deal or is he willing to move to 2B and take a 1yr/$20M prove it contract.  It sure worked out well for Marcus Semien.

Seattle?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

But it was a philosophy change within the same family. The Bulls have switched gears and are willing to be aggressive...why can't the Sox? DeRozan was called an overpay by nearly every pundit out there. 

The Bulls have always been willing to pay $$$ in free agency, the problem being no one ever wants to come and play here. 

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

For some reason this post brought this scene from Walking Life to mind…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The Bulls have always been willing to pay $$$ in free agency, the problem being no one ever wants to come and play here. 

and the fact that they had no money until this past offseason when a bunch of contracts came off the books. 

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

and for some reason you don't think Boston, Dodgers and Yankees fans aren't screaming their heads off right now? What a nice little rock you live under. 

I never said they weren't, did I?

I can only speak for myself. I've been asking for one thing for three years from the Sox, not 100. I'm tired of the absurd strategy of signing 7 shitty players to 3-4 million dollar deals as opposed to signing one player to a 21-28 million dollar deal. I've been about as consistent as it gets. Sign one big talented player, as they said they WOULD repeatedly, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

To say Semien, Ray and Gausman weren't realistic targets is f'ing embarrassing. And everyone who continues to pander that speech just plays right into the hands of ownership. And people like Jimmy who were out there pushing a 200 million dollar payroll narrative to come in here and complain about fans expectations is absolutely hilarious.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a little maddening that people here were optimistic saying they will sign a big free agent or two, even signing someone to a 9-figure contract and basically called the people who were realistic overly pessimistic like there’s no track record of them not spending lol and now the people that we’re optimistic are saying it was never realistic.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

But it was a philosophy change within the same family. The Bulls have switched gears and are willing to be aggressive...why can't the Sox? DeRozan was called an overpay by nearly every pundit out there. 

"The Worst Signing of the Off-Season"

A truly classic take on DeRozen.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s a little maddening that people here were optimistic saying they will sign a big free agent or two, even signing someone to a 9-figure contract and basically called the people who were realistic overly pessimistic like there’s no track record of them not spending lol

Than spend time rooting for the team on the Northside if your that mad. Go ahead Bob! Lol

Edited by maloney.adam

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox SP flopped in the playoffs.  Rodon included.  No ifs ands or buts.  But I will take the 162 game sample over the 4 game sample EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

You can't overreact from one start a piece from the main horses.  Cease had nerves, Lynn is just an awful matchup vs. Houston and Gio was good but not perfect, but against a really damn good team.  This rotation has some horses and the nice thing is - two of its best starters, Lynn/Gio, can actually go deep into games and throw innings (*knock on wood*).  Cease is the one that can't and Keuchel if he can bounce back is more a 5/6 inning pitcher not a 6/7 type of guy and Kopech is a total unknown.  

It is why I would have loved someone like Matz to plug into the rotation and just give you more certainty around innings, but there are obviously other options out there to do it and we still have to see what happens with Keuchel/Kimbrel.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I never said they weren't, did I?

I can only speak for myself. I've been asking for one thing for three years from the Sox, not 100. I'm tired of the absurd strategy of signing 7 shitty players to 3-4 million dollar deals as opposed to signing one player to a 21-28 million dollar deal. I've been about as consistent as it gets. Sign one big talented player, as they said they WOULD repeatedly, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

To say Semien, Ray and Gausman weren't realistic targets is f'ing embarrassing. And everyone who continues to pander that speech just plays right into the hands of ownership. And people like Jimmy who were out there pushing a 200 million dollar payroll narrative to come in here and complain about fans expectations is absolutely hilarious.

You absolutely inferred it. I don't care if it's Sox fans or any of their teams fans. They will not accept it and they clearly don't. 

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s a little maddening that people here were optimistic saying they will sign a big free agent or two, even signing someone to a 9-figure contract and basically called the people who were realistic overly pessimistic like there’s no track record of them not spending lol

This is by far the best part to me.

Everyone was raining sunshines and rainbows two weeks ago, I said they will not get any of the players (who, for the most part have signed) because they have a track record of never signing those players and everyone called me a negative douche (I may still be a douche). Now everyone is saying that people like you and me were stupid for expecting them to sign those guys lol... what? When did we expect it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To say Semien, Ray and Gausman weren't realistic targets is f'ing embarrassing.

I would have been happy with Gausman or Ray… Semien at what he signed for was unrealistic.

5 years for a pitcher would have been historic. 100+ million would have been historic. I wish they would have shoved but they didn’t.

Oh well. They’ll get a starting pitcher via trade - it’s always been the most likely scenario.